Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kim Hunter on Marlon Brando & Elia Kazan

OrcoDev

Hey classic movie fans, thought you'd be interested in hearing a clip from my dad's interview with Kim Hunter. He did this interview in service of his educational program. Listen and enjoy.

[Kim Hunter on Marlon Brando & Elia Kazan|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdeexxWk_tU&list=PLMPg4RkqBExamQ9SC8xjmojtPvoqwObEs&index=2]

Pretty crazy that Stella almost wasn't Stella, am I right?

Check out our youtube channel for more [www.youtube.com/orcodevelopment]

Edited by: OrcoDev on Aug 21, 2013 8:06 PM

Thanks for posting this.

I'm always amazed at how Kim Hunter speaks so highly of Elia Kazan in spite of the fact that she was one of the people he "turned in" to the HUAC during the "Red Scare," willing to derail their careers to save his own.

I have so many mixed feelings about Kazan. The guiding force behind so many great films but what a shame that he sacrificed so many other talented artists in order to save himself.

Yeah Kazan was a complicated figure to say the least. I think Kim Hunter was able to separate the artist from the man. And of course she owed a lot to him on some level when you listen to that clip and realize what he did for her.

I worked with Kim and got to know her fairly well. Lovely person. She lived on the most charming corner of New York City -- on Commerce Street, in Greenwich Village, right near the Cherry Lane Theater. I also know that, although she respected Kazan as an artist she was deeply disillusioned and disappointed in his behavior during those times.

Not to get into the usual political argument about these things, but *Kim Hunter* was far from the Hollywood elite. She was born in Detroit, made a few films, would have had a far more impressive career if she hadn't been blacklisted. Those are the tough shoes SHE had to walk in. She lived in New York City for most of her life. Fortunately, she was able to work in theater and on television, particularly television drama produced in New York.

Like one of my uncles (and around the same time), Kazan was born to Greek parents who lived in Turkey. My uncle went to Penn; Kazan went to Yale. Kazan's was the ivory tower, not Hunter's. Kazan had a rich career as one of Broadway's greatest directors. He could have continued with that, even if he had refused to name names in Hollywood.

Kim felt very at home as a stage actress, but, although she did a lot of television, I think she would have enjoyed making more films during her "prime." She did go back to it later on, with the Planet of the Apes series. Two other blacklisted actresses, still with us, are Lee Grant and Marsha Hunt. Hunt played one of the daughters in Pride and Prejudice.

Good morning, Orco. No, I didn't produce plays on Broadway. I ran a kind of special non-commercial small theater in New York in which I produced about 100 programs annually (lectures, panels, theatrical readings, music and dance performances). I also put scripts together based on other material, so it was not a traditional producer's role. Worked with hundreds of great actors, playwrights, dancers, musicians, composers, etc. I've retired from full-time work, but I lecture once in a while and am on various boards of directors.