Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marian McPartland (1918-2013)

Swithin

The great jazz artist *Marian McPartland* died yesterday at the age of 95. I had the pleasure to work with her a few times in the 1980s/1990s. Brilliant artist -- wonderful person. Though not a film person, she has been featured in documentaries.

Sorry to hear this. So you worked with her? In what capacity? She used to have a radio show I used to listen to. Some local station carried it. How I came to know her. I figured she must be fairly old due to her talks between her numbers.(references to people etc.). Loved to listen to her. Wonder if she has anything on Amazon? I'll look......

I had the good fortune to see Marian and Jimmy McPartland perform together at Blues Alley in Washington in the 70's. They were divorced at the time but that didn't stop them from making joint appearances, and they remarried a few weeks before Jimmy died in 1991. What a long and fulfilled life she had.

Really great to work with, lovely disposition, very professional. She usually brought some friends up to perform with her: George Shearing, Cleo Laine, John Dankworth. I think I worked with her two or three times. I was also invited to attend one of her recording sessions, which was a treat.

Do they still run her show, I wonder? I should check the local station. When I first started listening to her, with her British accent, playing jazz, it felt like a contradiction in terms (LOL). I didnt realize at the time how big she really was (as I'd never heard of her)......

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings