Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hitchcock's MARNIE - pre-release trims?

Ray Faiola

One of the results of new digital transfers of films where studios paint out original changeover cues is that you ave no way of telling how a film was originally formatted reel-wise.

I just picked up a film print of Hitchcock's MARNIE and it turns out the film was originally released in 16 reels (Eight A-B sections). When a 130 minute film is released in 16 reels it usually means there was cutting after the last preview (a film of this length is usually released in 14 reels).

Does anybody know what trims might have been made prior to release? Based on the footage, it looks like the cuts were done in the second half of the picture. I think one trim might have been at the cut from the long shot of Connery's mansion to Connery and Hedren walking down the stairs for breakfast. I haven't listened to the raw music track yet but it sounds like there is a music edit (this may be an A/B reel joint).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings