Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the What? Who?

Ok, so today we have....Charles who? Ugh. There's another one next week I don't remember their face or their name. Star? Nah. Too many of those this month.

While I love my yearly dose of Bette, Bogie, and Liz, I wish I'd see more of the neglected stars. Stars being the key word here.

What would Fellini movies be without Mastroianni? La Dolce Vita with.....Brando?

What about people like Robert Donat, Peter O'Toole, Robert Young, or Dorothy McGuire? And, as someone suggested in another thread, Julie Harris.

Marcello's birthday is in a month. Hop to it, would ya, TCM?

Anyone who doubts the power of Charles Coburn has clearly never seen Heaven Can Wait and Has Anybody Seen My Gal.

As it happens TCM is showing Visconti's Le Notti Bianche next month with...Marcello Mastroianni!

TCM's making a point of including a major international star in each year's SUTS. Mastroianni certainly has a good chance of getting it in the future.

There are practical concerns which keep many stars from being presented.

Many of Dorothy McGuire's movies were made at Fox. That studio is reluctant to license many of their better movies because they claim to have a movie channel of their own and they wish to keep a selection for their exclusive use.

A full day requires twelve to sixteen movies. Robert Donat made only twenty theatrical movies and some of them might be difficult to locate and/or license.

Peter O'Toole has been featured twice.

Marlon Brando has been featured three times.

Marcello Mastroianni would be particularly difficult for two reasons. A day of foreign movies is not popular with many viewers. And the variety of film companies for which he worked would make it difficult to track down the American television rights for a sufficient number of movies. Negotiating with a wide variety of companies for a single day of movies may be prohibitively expensive.

Robert Young is the only one whom you list for which there are a sufficient number of movies readily available and who has not yet been in SUTS schedule.

Members of this forum and others have long campaigned for more tributes to character actors and SUTS is an ideal way in which to do this. These wonderful actors often are the element which raises a mediocre movie to glorious heights and so they are stars even when they are not first-billed.

Bette,.Bogie.amd Liz are featured all year, every year....Hattie, Charles and Glenda are very welcome, as are the likes of Deneuve, and tomorrows star, Jeanne Crain. She is the now obligatory token Star from.20th Century Fox (2010~Gene Tierney; 2011~Linda Darnell; 2012~Tyrone Power...). The Crain tribute features many of the filma she did at 20th, Im guessing most must be TCM premieres. These variations to the usual Bette, Bogie and Liz give August a much needed shot in the arm for many here who have watched tcm regularly for many years.

I'm not always that excited to see Charles Coburn myself. But I don't object to him, either. Did what he did as well as anyone. BETTER in many cases. Certainly deserving of his day.

BTW, I agree with your Marcello promotion.

Sepiatone

Thanks for the info about Fox, I did not know that. I was thinking about Gene Tierney, too, so that explains that. So that's probably the deal with Julie Andrews and Disney, too, right?

The Donat explanation is understandable, I didn't realize there were so few - I just like him a lot. Maybe there's a way to combine days for people with fewer movies, I don't know.

As for supporting stars and the rest of them - Jeanne Crain I can buy. Hattie McDaniel I can buy. Charles Coburn is just....ugh. Ramon Navarro? Give me a break. Who's Glenda Farrell? It doesn't help if TCM hasn't shown her movies much before - essentially unknown = not a Star. Give her a day that's not in August.

Have they ever had Arthur Kennedy? How about Sir Ralph Richardson? How about Sir John Mills? Arthur O'Connell? Lucy? James Garner? Eve Arden? Someone talked about people who have been on in the past - is there a list online of those? If anyone has the link and could please post it, that would be great.

Mind you, there were some people who were fun to see on this year's list. Ann Blyth, for one. Maggie Smith. And I like that they put Martin Balsam in the list this year, too.

Marcello could easily carry a day by himself - in those 144 movies he made, there were plenty of American movies, so they could put those on during the day for those who don't have the patience to read subtitles. Mind you, I enjoyed Deneuve's day, too - but TCM likes her and you will see her movies on a lot. The only Mastroianni movies you ever see on TCM is La Dolce Vita and Yesterday Today Tomorrow. you would think they were the only movies he ever made!

> ltguid wrote:

> So that's probably the deal with Julie Andrews and Disney, too, right?

I believe it is likely.

I am sure there are special problems in negotiating the license to air more than a dozen movies from a single studio which does not have a close relationship with TCM.

> Marcello could easily carry a day by himself

My only knowledge on this matter is that I visited his IMDB.com page and clicked on the links to six consecutive movies. No two of them were made by the same studio and none of the company information pages listed a distributor for U.S.A. television rights. This leads me to believe it would require some effort to find ready access to a sufficient number of movies.

It is likely not impossible but it would require more than is commonly done and it is my experience that such things quickly become expensive.

I hope that you are not offended when I say that I do not miss him in the line-up. I will acknowledge that he is a much-loved International star and that many would be very happy to watch twenty-four hours' of his movies but he is not to my taste.

> ltguid wrote:

> Someone talked about people who have been on in the past - is there a list online of those? If anyone has the link and could please post it, that would be great.

I am sorry to say that the only link which I have bookmarked is not working at the present time. I do not know if it is related to the site upgrades or if there is some other cause.

All which I have available is a rough list:

Alan Ladd, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Angela Lansbury, Angela Lansbury, Ann Sothern, Ann Sheridan, Ann Dvorak, Ann Blyth, Ann Miller, Anne Francis, Anne Bancroft, Anthony Quinn, Audrey Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Ava Gardner, Ava Gardner, Ava Gardner, Barbara Stanwyck, Barbara Stanwyck, Barbara Stanwyck, Basil Rathbone, Basil Rathbone, Bela Lugosi, Ben Johnson, Bette Davis, Bette Davis, Bette Davis, Bette Davis, Bette Davis, Bob Hope, Bob Hope, Broderick Crawford, Burt Lancaster, Burt Lancaster, Buster Keaton, Carole Lombard, Carole Lombard, Cary Grant, Cary Grant, Cary Grant, Cary Grant, Cary Grant, Cary Grant, Catherine Deneuve, Charles Coburn, Charles Chaplin, Charles Laughton, Charlie Chaplin, Charlton Heston, Charlton Heston, Charlton Heston, Claire Trevor, Claire Bloom, Clark Gable, Clark Gable, Clark Gable, Claude Rains, Claude Rains, Claudette Colbert, Claudette Colbert, Clint Eastwood, Clint Eastwood, Clint Eastwood, Conrad Veidt, Constance Bennett, Dana Andrews, David Niven, Debbie Reynolds, Debbie Reynolds, Deborah Kerr, Deborah Kerr, Deborah Kerr, Dirk Bogarde, Donna Reed, Doris Day, Doris Day, Doris Day, Doris Day, Doris Day, Doris Day, Edward G. Robinson, Edward G. Robinson, Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley, Ernest Borgnine, Errol Flynn, Errol Flynn, Esther Williams, Ethel Barrymore, Eva Marie Saint, Frank Sinatra, Frank Sinatra, Fred MacMurray, Fred MacMurray, Fred Astaire, Fred Astaire, Fred Astaire, Freddie Bartholomew, Fredric March, Gary Cooper, Gary Cooper, Gary Cooper, Gary Cooper, Gene Kelly, Gene Kelly, Gene Kelly, Gene Tierney, Gene Hackman, Ginger Rogers, Ginger Rogers, Glenda Farrell, Glenn Ford, Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, Greer Garson, Gregory Peck, Gregory Peck, Gregory Peck, Gregory Peck, Gregory Peck, Greta Garbo, Greta Garbo, Groucho Marx, Harold Lloyd, Hattie McDaniel, Hedy Lamarr, Henry Fonda, Henry Fonda, Henry Fonda, Henry Fonda, Henry Fonda, Howard Keel, Humphrey Bogart, Humphrey Bogart, Humphrey Bogart, Humphrey Bogart, Humphrey Bogart, Humphrey Bogart, Ida Lupino, Ingrid Bergman, Ingrid Bergman, Ingrid Bergman, Ingrid Bergman, Irene Dunne, Irene Dunne, Jack Lemmon, Jack Lemmon, Jack Palance, James Stewart, James Garner, James Stewart, James Mason, James Stewart, James Cagney, James Garner, James Mason, James Cagney, James Coburn, James Stewart, James Cagney, James Caan, James Stewart, Jane Russell, Jane Powell, Jane Wyman, Jane Fonda, Janet Leigh, Jean Arthur, Jean Harlow, Jean Gabin, Jeanette MacDonald, Jeanne Crain, Jennifer Jones, Jimmy Stewart, Joan Bennett, Joan Blondell, Joan Crawford, Joan Crawford, Joan Crawford, Joan Crawford, Joan Fontaine, Joanne Woodward, Joel McCrea, John Garfield, John Wayne, John Mills, John Wayne, John Wayne, John Gilbert, John Garfield, John Wayne, John Wayne, John Wayne, Johnny Weissmuller, Joseph Cotten, Judy Garland, Judy Garland, Judy Garland, Julie Christie, June Allyson, Katharine Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Kathryn Grayson, Kay Francis, Kim Novak, Kirk Douglas, Kirk Douglas, Kirk Douglas, Kirk Douglas, Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Lana Turner, Lana Turner, Lauren Bacall, Lauren Bacall, Laurence Olivier, Lee Remick, Lee Marvin, Lena Horne, Lillian Gish, Linda Darnell, Lionel Barrymore, Lon Chaney, Loretta Young, Lucille Ball, Lucille Ball, Maggie Smith, Margaret O'Brien, Marie Dressler, Marilyn Monroe, Marion Davies, Marlene Dietrich, Marlon Brando, Marlon Brando, Marlon Brando, Martin Balsam, Mary Astor, Mary Boland, Maureen OHara, Maureen O'Hara, Maureen O'Hara, Merle Oberon, Michael Caine, Mickey Rooney, Miriam Hopkins, Montgomery Clift, Myrna Loy, Myrna Loy, Myrna Loy, Natalie Wood, Norma Shearer, Norma Shearer, Nurt Lancaster, Olivia de Havilland, Olivia de Havilland, Orson Welles, Paul Newman, Paul Newman, Paulette Goddard, Peter Lawford, Peter Lorre, Peter Sellers, Peter O'Toole, Peter O'Toole, Peter Sellers, Peter OToole, Ralph Bellamy, Ramon Novarro, Randolph Scott, Randolph Scott, Ray Milland, Red Skelton, Rex Harrison, Richard Dix, Richard Widmark, Rita Hayworth, Rita Hayworth, Rita Hayworth, Robert Mitchum, Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan, Robert Stack, Rock Hudson, Ronald Colman, Ronald Reagan, Rosalind Russell, Roy Rogers, Sean Connery, Shelley Winters, Shirley Jones, Shirley MacLaine, Shirley MacLaine, Sidney Poitier, Sidney Poitier, Sidney Poitier, Sidney Poitier, Sophia Loren, Spencer Tracy, Spencer Tracy, Spencer Tracy, Spencer Tracy, Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, Sterling Hayden, Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen, Susan Hayward, Thelma Todd, Tony Curtis, Toshiro Mifune, Trevor Howard, Tyrone Power, Van Johnson, Van Heflin, Vincent Price, Wallace Beery, Walter Pidgeon, Walter Matthau, Walter Matthau, Warren Beatty, Warren William, William Holden, William Holden, William Holden, William Holden, Woody Strode, Yul Brynner

Multiple entries indicate the star was in SUTS in multiple years.

As for supporting stars and the rest of them - Jeanne Crain I can buy. Hattie McDaniel I can buy. Charles Coburn is just....ugh. Ramon Novarro? Give me a break. Who's Glenda Farrell? It doesn't help if TCM hasn't shown her movies much before - essentially unknown = not a Star.

Coburn isn't among my very favorite character actors, but he's certainly worthy of a SUTS salute...and his selection could pave the way for some of my favorites with similar status (e.g., Walter Connolly, Frank Morgan) to warrant a SUTS day in future years. Are you accepting McDaniel as the "token" SUTS minority star, because she was also a character player? No major Hollywood studio of that time would design a starring vehicle for a black actor unless the cast was all-black, too.

Ramon Novarro was a big star in the latter half of the 1920s, and filled this year's silent-era SUTS slot. And Glenda Farrell is hardly "essentially unknown" to the TCM audience; she was an integral part of the early '30s Warners stock company, co-starring on many occasions with her good buddy Joan Blondell. She had a solid career and remains quite popular more than 40 years after her passing.

Nothing against Marcello or other stars of postwar Italian cinema, but TCM's target audience has more interest in English-language actors. For your sake, I hope he gains a SUTS day in the near future.

ltguid, I agree with you that it'd be great to have a Mastroianni Day, and I can also live without Ramon Novarro.

*BUT.*.. if you've never heard of the great *GLENDA FARRELL,* I'm going to recommend you for a good Hollywood re-education camp. If you like Joan Blondell, you'll love Glenda.

And if you've never heard of Joan Blondell, that re-education camp will not be providing you with popcorn.

With 31 days in the month and 31 "stars" featured, what does one consider a good batting average for "stars I like or approve of"? If TCM scores at least 50% for a viewer I would think that is a decent average. And as was pointed out in an earlier thread at least a dozen "stars" are getting a first time honoring this year, I think that is welcome.

I think Ramon Novarro is a significant and badly neglected figure in film history, and I was delighted that he was included. I prefer the 1925 version of Ben-Hur to Heston's.

And I also think some of August's selections are a breath of fresh air for regular TCM viewers. I skipped out on Gone With the Wind earlier this week because I think TCM plays it too much...The same with a lot of the Bette Davis films selected.

I know all of these Mastroianni films have been on TCM recently or in the past and there are at least a couple of others.

8 1/2

La Notte

Big Deal on Madonna Street

The Law

Divorce, Italian Style

The Organizer

Ginger and Fred

A Very Private Affair

"Who's Glenda Farrell? It doesn't help if TCM hasn't shown her movies much before - essentially unknown = not a Star. Give her a day that's not in August."

Actually, TCM shows Glenda Farrell movies frequently, everything from her films with Joan Blondell to a couple GOLD DIGGERS films, the TORCHY BLANE series, and SUSAN SLEPT HERE. She's also in a lot of fun pre-Codes regularly shown on TCM. I hope you'll take advantage of her day later this month to enjoy becoming familiar with her work. :)

It's also a good idea, Laura, to forward the suggestion that if TCM features a "star" one's never heard of during SUTS, it's an opportunity to become familiar with them. Who knows? That person they've never heard of might become one of their favorites.

Sepiatone

Sorry, but just because you've never heard of Ramon Novarro or Glenda Farrell doesnt mean they arent deserving of a SUTS day. Ramon was one of silent films biggest stars and Glenda Farrell co-starred in many films as a supporting player. You may not have heard of them but others have. SUTS often includes supporting players and stars who often arent showcased very much. I enjoy these days as, like others, I get tired of the same well known favorites being shown all the time......