Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another Studio Ghibli Month?

YellowCrayon

I would really love to see this on TCM again.

The last time they showed a number of Studio Ghibli films in a row was in 2006, I believe, and I remember my dad watched and enjoyed several of them, but I was too young at the time to really care. Now I'm trying to watch all the films that the studio has put out thus far, but some of them are really hard to find! (The movie Only Yesterday, specifically) I mean, I'm not surprised seeing as it's a Japanese animation studio, but these films are so incredibly fine that I wish they were more well-known by the American public. From what I've seen so far, they're just as meaningful for adults as they would be for children or teenagers.

Anyway, just a little thought/suggestion.

Those films are really good. They are also mostly on DVD, (though if TCM showed them I would really mind.) Check out Whispers Of The Heart. This comes from a person who is not really in to Amimae, (though Kimba and Speed Racer are some of the first TV shows I remember watching. This was back in 1973 on Detroit's WKBD channel 50. I think I five at the time.)

That Ghibli month was fantastic. I was raised on TOTORO but TCM allowed me to see other classics I'd never heard of like CASTLE IN THE SKY (now my fav Ghibli film). GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES is particularly great, especially for adults and film fans. I'm glad I didn't see it as a child or I'd probably be in therapy right now.

> YellowCrayon wrote:

> some of them are really hard to find! (The movie Only Yesterday specifically)

Disney became the distributor of Ghibli movies in the U.S.A.

I have read that they consider the content of: Only Yesterday to be inappropriate to their children's-fare library and they have done neither dubbing not sub-titling of it or a proper DVD release.

It is a wonderful movie and I am very happy to have a copy.

GKIDS, the distributor of Studio Ghibli's recent film From Up on Poppy Hill, has said that someone is supposed to release Only Yesterday on home video in America soon. Disney and Studio Ghibli's relationship changed dramatically a couple of years back and it's likely they are now choosing to sub-license the titles they have but don't want.

I already have Only Yesterday on DVD but it would be cool if TCM showed it again. Perhaps when Miyazaki and Isao Takahata's new films show up stateside next year (or 2015) they could use the opportunity to dig up some of Takahata's excellent pre/non-Ghibli films such as Gauche the Cellist and the amazing documentary The Story of Yanagawa's Canals.

That showcase back in 2006 was one of my first big TCM experiences and an important part of the development of my interest in film in general. Miyazaki and Takahata are among the finest Japanese filmmakers...and not just of the past 30 years.

• 2 months later...