1949 Caught

1950 The Secret Fury

1952 Beware, My Lovely

1954 Alaska Seas

1954 About Mrs.Leslie

1954 Her Twelve Men

1960 Ice Palace

1961 The Canadians

Since you are a first time poster let me say welcome to you and suggest you use the TCM site to do a search for these films or just search "Robert Ryan". You may find some of these films are on the schedule in the near future. You can also put film titles in the "suggest a movie" feature on the TCM site. I do believe that they monitor the requests and make reasonable efforts to locate and air the films; but it may take some time.

Hi mrroberts,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have searched the TCM SHOP for Robert Ryan DVD's and they aren't available. I will take your advice and to suggest his films. I will also look at the near future schedule as well. I am enjoying myself as a new member. There is so much to read and share !! This is great stuff?

CarenS, right now the TCM site is being "remodeled" and things are in a state of disarray. Normally you could go to the search on the TCM page and type in "Robert Ryan", get a brief bio, film listing, and mention of any Ryan films on the schedule for the next few months. But right now that doesn't seem to be working at least not for me. Hopefully that will be corrected soon. Robert Ryan was an excellent actor, played in a lot of very good films and I know there are a lot of posters here who are fans. Maybe they can help you out as well.

Yes, I thought it was me because I too am not getting information. I am running into a lot of glitches even as I'm trying to update my photo's and designing my theme page from the Community Classic Film Union too. Question, how to I add different forums to my email or theme page? There seems to be a lot of navigation to sort through.

Thanks,

I welcome you this to forum! :)

The movies on your list have been aired in recent years except:

1954 Alaska Seas

1960 Ice Palace

1961 The Canadians

It is common to wait for a very long time for a particular movie to air and then it will appear on the schedule several times within a few months and then it will disappear again for a long time.

I will suggest also that you use the "Suggest a Movie" feature at the odd times when it is working.

A way to suggest movies and in particular a tribute to an actor is to submit an entry in the irregularly-appearing TCM Programming Challenge. That is a fan-based contest among forum members to create a schedule which we would like to see aired. The real TCM Programmers frequently appropriate ideas and themes from these entries for use in real schedules. The next Challenge should be appearing on this board fairly soon.

CarenS, I believe that the TCM CFU site is working ok but it often is slow, like posting photos, etc. And see there are people out there to lend a hand, many are more knowledgeable than me. I see you are also a big fan of Richard Widmark. Same here and watch for Misswonderly, she has quite the crush on him.

Edited by: mrroberts on Aug 24, 2013 3:39 PM

LOL?.I certainly will. But heart really belongs to Robert Ryan. I watched "The Trap" just the other day and I loved the distant and emotional strained relationship between Widmark's character who works for the mob and his father, the sheriff Carl Benton Reid's character. I loved his father's last words to Widmark as he lay dying?

CarenS, I have been trying to do a Robert Ryan search on the TCM site for you but it still won't work. So I did an end around, see if you can follow this: Click on "schedule" at the top, then click on for the monthly schedule (the entire month of August) . Go down to the 21st (William Holden film day) and click on "The Wild Bunch" which costarred Robert Ryan. THEN you click on "Robert Ryan" which will bring you to his page. It lists his movies on TCM's schedule through October. Unfortunate that we can't search and go right to that page, but one has to make do , good luck.

mrroberts,

Since the upgrade, using the search box in the upper right corner (not the search box for the message boards) to search the database and/or the TCM site, doesn't work.

If you open the home page ( www.tcm.com ), you can search from there with no problem.

I never thought to try that (search only from the home page). I almost always go right to the message board so even though the search function at the top looks the same it doesn't link to the search subject. Thanks for the tip, can't wait until the reconstruction project gets finished, of course I don't know why anything had to change from before, everything seemed to work just fine, oh well?

CarenS:

Robert Ryan, what a guy ! One of my absolutely favourite actors (yes, right up there with Richard Widmark !)

Are you familiar with the many great noirs he was in? Some of these include *Crossfire, Act of Violence, and On Dangerous Ground* . Great films, all three. *Act of Violence* is one of my personal favourite film noirs, and *On Dangerous Ground* pairs Ryan with the lovely and under-rated Ida Lupino.

Here's the two of them, looking anxious, as well they may (if you know the story):

On%2BDangerous%2BGround%2B2.jpg

I'm afraid I can't help you with any of the films on your list. In fact, I must admit, some of them I haven't even heard of, and I thought I was a serious R.R. fan.

Hi miswonderly,

I am a RR fan indeed and probably his wife in another life?HA HA, I wish.

I looked into his filmography as saw that I had not seen quite a few of his movies and decided to look for them for purchasing. Neither iTunes, Amazon, nor TCM has them for sale?bummer. I have seen "Act of Violence" but it is not for sale. I too am a Widmark fan. Happy movie watching.

I'm jumping into this thread this late to welcome YOU, Caren, and any OTHER new members to the boards.

And since you claim to have a great passion for Robert Ryan films, it shows you have good taste. Which is ALWAYS welcome here!

Sepiatone

Robert Ryan was another one of those "nice guys in real life" who was so good at playing bad guys, like Richard Widmark, Dan Duryea, Jack Palance, Ernie Borgnine, etc, etc. One of my favorite Ryan bad guys is the sadistic "master of arms" he played in *Billy Budd* . He should get a month long tribute sometime soon (right after Mr Widmark.)

Hi Sepiatone,

Thanks for the welcome. This FYI info is for you and everyone, I found out that the apartment John and Oko have in The Dakota was initially Robert Ryan's. He subleased it to them after his wife died and moved into an apartment across the street. He just couldn't bear to live there anymore. After his death the following year, his estate sold it to John and Oko...what a small world huh

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings