Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Julie Harris (1925-2013)

jakeem

I'll never forget how effective she was the first time I became aware of her in "The Haunting", and when that movie scared the ever-livin' you-know-what out o' me the first time I watched it as a teenager on the old ABC Sunday Night Movie series in the late 1960s.

(...RIP, Julie)

Oh, no! I was just thinking about her last week when discussing *Knots Landing* with a fellow fan. I still think the scene when the twins came home-Julie has the only word spoken in it-is the best ever done on TV.

I saw *Victoria Regina* when it aired and never forgot her in that. Her final line when Victoria's 60 years as queen were being honored was "Oh, Albert, if only you could be with me now!" and I cried. RIP, Lady.

Julie Harris worked primarily on the stage (winning 5 Best Actress Tony Awards, which I think is a record) but I am very grateful for her performances that were captured on film. I especially love her very first film THE MEMBER OF THE WEDDING, which captures the performaces of Julie Harris, Ethel Waters and Brandon DeWilde in the roles they originated on Broadway. I still remember tuning into that movie on television during the scene with Julie Harris with the knife and being mesmerized.

Oh No! I had dinner guests tonight and was just going to relax with a bit of persiflage on the board, then I saw this thread.

I worked with Julie and adored her. In fact, I recently gave a lecture and showed a video clip of her, from the time we worked together in 1997. She was talented, generous, and one of the greatest American actors ever. RIP.

As Emily Dickinson, "The Belle of Amherst" wrote:

"She dropt as softly as a star

From out my summer?s eve;"

One of the great actresses, mostly on stage, but she sure had a lot of good films as well. Unforgettable in *The Member of the Wedding, East of Eden, The Haunting, I Am a Camera, The Belle of Amherst,* and *You're a Big Boy Now.*

RIP, Julie.

I just remembered seeing her on a *Rawhide* episode where she gets involved with Rowdy/Clint Eastwood before the obligatory killing off at the end. To his shock he realizes he loved this plain simple woman with soul and grit and it's totally believable. She seemed to be able to work with anybody and make it good.

I saw the *Colombo* episode last Sunday, too. I hope nobody ever put down these series guest spots as "slumming". Since most of us never get to see a Broadway show and her movie roles were rare these were our only chance to watch her in action and see what a talent she was.

I also think Richard Davalos (James Dean's film brother) is alive and yes, Lois Smith is very much alive and still working in theater.

Julie Harris was so unique in so many ways...... she always saw her audience after her plays, did not matter who you were. In the early days,, you might have gone right up to her dressing room or in the later years, like Gin Game, she would come out on stage, after the final curtain fell, and visit with anyone who wanted to see and thank her for her acting. She was a class Act.

>She also brought a lot of dignity to a later Bonanza episode that paired her with Dan Blocker.

Lemme guess here, TB! By the end of that episode Julie's character dies, RIGHT?!

(...well, didn't all the Cartwright men have the kiss of death when it came to their women?!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings