Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glenda Farrell Day!!! Thurs, Aug 29!!! Boomchakkalakkalakka!!! Oh yeaaaaah!

markbeckuaf

They should just call it "Groovy Day", cos that's what it is!!! WOW!!!!

First, man, I go away for a few days and return needing sunglasses on the one hand and magnifying glasses on the other! Woah to the dude!!

Hope everyone has been grooving along to SUTS this year! I missed coming in to shout it out for some coolio 30's flix that were aired during Clark "The King" Gable's day and Bette Davis' day!!! I did groove to 'em or have 'em on the trusty DVR to groove to when I catch my breath.

But...wow! This Thursday it's all about snap-crackle-poppin' Glenda Farrell, wise-crackin' dame who fit right in with the 1930s Warner Bros gangland landscape!!! Tons and tons of 30's flix, lots of her signature role, "Torchy Blane" which rocks the house, and some flix I haven't seen before, including KANSAS CITY PRINCESS (yowza!!!), I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER (boom!!), THE PERSONALITY KID, and SNOWED UNDER!!! That all by itself is so out of sight, cats and kittens!!!

And Eddie G in LITTLE CAESAR always makes my day!!

Oh yeah, it's a lineup that knocks my socks off and rocks around the clock!!! I can't wait!!!

Here are the groovy flix all day long---->

29 Thursday

6:00 AM

Little Caesar (1930)

A small-time hood shoots his way to the top, but how long can he stay there?

Dir: Mervyn LeRoy Cast: Edward G. Robinson , Douglas Fairbanks Jr. , Glenda Farrell .

BW-79 mins, TV-PG, CC,

7:30 AM

I've Got Your Number (1934)

Two telephone engineers try to clear a woman of criminal charges.

Dir: Ray Enright Cast: Joan Blondell , Pat O'Brien , Allen Jenkins .

BW-69 mins, TV-G,

8:50 AM

Old Shep (1934)

In this short film, a man prepares to shoot his ailing dog and sadly recounts their time together.

BW-9 mins,

9:00 AM

Personality Kid, The (1934)

Success corrupts a young prizefighter and leads him to neglect his wife.

Dir: Alan Crosland Cast: Pat O'Brien , Glenda Farrell , Claire Dodd .

BW-68 mins, TV-G,

10:15 AM

Kansas City Princess (1934)

A pair of con women masquerade as girl scouts to escape to New York.

Dir: William Keighley Cast: Joan Blondell , Glenda Farrell , Robert Armstrong .

BW-64 mins, TV-G,

11:30 AM

Snowed Under (1936)

A playwright in search of solitude is besieged by three women.

Dir: Raymond Enright Cast: George Brent , Genevieve Tobin , Glenda Farrell .

BW-64 mins, TV-G,

12:45 PM

Fly Away Baby (1937)

Reporter Torchy Blane takes to the skies to track down a band of killers.

Dir: Frank McDonald Cast: Glenda Farrell , Barton MacLane , Gordon Oliver .

BW-60 mins, TV-G,

1:52 PM

Hot News Margie (1931)

In this short film, a reporter for a tabloid newspaper attempts to find out if a college football star is secretly married.

Dir: Alfred J. Goulding Cast: Marjorie Beebe , James C. Morton , Don Costello .

BW-7 mins,

2:00 PM

Adventurous Blonde, The (1937)

Reporter Torchy Blane walks out on her own wedding to solve the case of a murdered actor.

Dir: Frank MacDonald Cast: Glenda Farrell , Barton MacLane , Anne Nagel .

BW-61 mins, TV-PG,

3:02 PM

Clues To Adventure (1949)

A John Nesbitt short dramatizing how three separate events led to the creation of three of the rights in the American Constitution.

BW-10 mins,

3:15 PM

Blondes At Work (1938)

Even a jail term for contempt can't keep reporter Torchy Blane from investigating the case of a murdered department store owner.

Dir: Frank McDonald Cast: Glenda Farrell , Barton MacLane , Tom Kennedy .

BW-64 mins, TV-G,

4:30 PM

Torchy Gets Her Man (1938)

Female reporter Torchy Blane tries to crack a counterfeiting case.

Dir: William Beaudine Cast: Glenda Farrell , Barton MacLane , Tom Kennedy .

BW-63 mins, TV-G,

5:45 PM

Torchy Blane in Chinatown (1938)

A daring lady reporter sets out to catch a blackmailer.

Dir: William Beaudine Cast: Glenda Farrell , Barton MacLane , Tom Kennedy .

BW-58 mins, TV-G, CC,

6:45 PM

Torchy Runs For Mayor (1939)

After digging up the dirt on local politicians, a newswoman decides to run for office.

Dir: Ray McCarey Cast: Glenda Farrell , Barton MacLane , Tom Kennedy .

BW-60 mins, TV-G, CC,

7:46 PM

Neckin' Party, A (1937)

In this comedic short, a man and his ventriloquist dummy get into trouble in Mexico.

BW-11 mins,

8:00 PM

Smart Blonde (1936)

An ambitious reporter forces her policeman boyfriend to let her help with a murder case.

Dir: Frank McDonald Cast: Glenda Farrell , Barton MacLane , Winifred Shaw .

BW-59 mins, TV-G, CC,

9:15 PM

Mystery Of The Wax Museum, The (1933)

A disfigured sculptor turns murder victims into wax statues.

Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: Lionel Atwill , Fay Wray , Glenda Farrell .

C-77 mins, TV-PG, CC,

10:45 PM

I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)

A World War I veteran faces inhuman conditions when he's sentenced to hard labor.

Dir: Mervyn Le Roy Cast: Paul Muni , Glenda Farrell , Helen Vinson .

BW-93 mins, TV-PG, CC,

12:30 AM

Gold Diggers Of 1935 (1935)

A socialite is bamboozled into producing a stage show in her home.

Dir: Busby Berkeley Cast: Dick Powell , Adolphe Menjou , Gloria Stuart .

BW-95 mins, TV-G, CC,

2:15 AM

Gold Diggers of 1937 (1936)

A group of insurance salesmen try to get into show business.

Dir: Lloyd Bacon Cast: Dick Powell , Joan Blondell , Glenda Farrell .

BW-101 mins, TV-G, CC,

4:00 AM

Talk Of The Town, The (1942)

An escaped political prisoner and a stuffy law professor vie for the hand of a spirited schoolteacher.

Dir: George Stevens Cast: Cary Grant , Jean Arthur , Ronald Colman .

BW-117 mins, TV-G, CC,

*GLENDA!!!*

She's not my favorite actress by any means. Too much concentration in B movies, few really meaty dramatic roles, and not a long enough peak.

But dammit, I can't think of any actress not named Barbara Stanwyck whose name on the billing draws me like a fly to a honeycomb. Even that euphonious name of hers adds to her appeal. It rolls off the tongue like that poetic fish in The Lady Eve.

Other than Deneuve day with its plethora of premieres, Glenda day is definitely my highlight of the month. And it was about time.

I agree Glenda Farrell is a treat and I'm glad TCM is having her as part of SUTS. I also see you have a clear understanding that most of the movies being shown are cheaply made 30's 'B' pictures. I think seeing these type of movies back to back highlights this even more (e.g. the same character actors, the same settings, dialoge etc..).

These are films that were not made to be studied. They were meant to entertain and they do that very well.

I truly wish that TCM would not schedule days such as this.

I believe I should be able to have a life other than being glued to the television for a full twenty-four hours.

TCM should have put in at least a few clunkers so that we could have time to tend to matters such as cooking meals and sleeping and other such things.

A thousand thanks for that Chain Gang link to Mr Dobbs. Don't mean to hijack this Glenda Farrell thread but that clip was my introduction to Noel Francis and I have been hooked ever since. I've seen plenty of Noel Francis scenes since this, and she can play a nice "girl next door" too. But most of her roles were precode and she played many roles like "Linda".

Andy!! I agree!!!

*GLENDA* YES! Hotcha!!

And absolutely dig on my men Barton MacLane and Tom Kennedy in the "Torchy" series! Oh yeah!

Sans FIN!!! Your post totally had me cracking it up over here!!! Good stuff!!!

Can't wait, wish I could take the day off, but will have to digest the day in pieces from the DVR! Don't fail me now, DVR!!!

Diggin' TCM, every which way but loose!

SansFin said:

I truly wish that TCM would not schedule days such as this.

I believe I should be able to have a life other than being glued to the television for a full twenty-four hours.

TCM should have put in at least a few clunkers so that we could have time to tend to matters such as cooking meals and sleeping and other such things.

I'm not sure but I think TCM expected you to take care of all those things on Mamie Van Doren night back in June. :)

Edited by: ginnyfan on Aug 28, 2013 9:06 PM

I'm surprised that right in the middle of the Torchy series WB decided to replay Farrell and MacLane with Lola Lane and Paul Kelly (but not Tom Kennedy) in the film Torchy Blane in Panama.

Farrell's contract was up about a year later, what that the reason? WB made many more Torchy movies after Panama so that tells me something. i.e. that Lane Kelly didn't cut it at the box office.

The Torchy Blane in Chinatown has James Stephenson in it which was a surprise. This was only a year or so before The Letter and it looks like WB put him in these 'B' pictures before they figured out he could do a lot more.

Edit update: Ben clued me in. Farrell contract was up before she was replaced and she was re-hired after the Lane Kelly failure at the box office. Either way another mishanding by Jack Warner of a talent.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Aug 29, 2013 9:31 PM

One other thing about these 'B' pictures; we get to see a lot of young actors just getting their start.

In Smart Blonde we have Jane Wyman. It took me a while to determine it was her. Also there is Wayne Morris playing a clerk (for about 5 seconds!).

I also see where MacLane learned how to play his role in The Maltese Falcon. Some of his moves and even a few lines of dialoge are right from these Torchy movies.

I just finished watching "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)" and it shows that the justice system itself can be criminal. Ah some things never change. :(

I have one question, anyone noticed those mules chained along with the prisoners. What did they do to deserve that, kick someone the wrong way?