Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shirley Jones Day

I think that Shirley Jones was just so wonderfully hot when she was younger. Will watch her in Elmer Gantry and also to see Lancaster just take command like he does in Seven Days in May. Patti Page is cute too but Elmer is simply courteously nice to her is all. Only movie I ever thought Jean Simmons was hot in in any measure at all was Spartacus. I will have to pass on Cheyenne Social Club though as I can't take that, Shirley Jones or no Shirley Jones.

I very much appreciate TCM running *The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three* 10pm Tuesday nite. It was an On Demand movie on my system not too long ago and watched it several times despite the quality of the print which seemed to be an old 4:3 formatted. TCM shows a great letterboxed print. Tonite since I have no interest whatsoever in The Music Man or Carousel I will watch a vcd with stuff I got off youtube. 2 great Lon Chaney features, Ghost of Frankenstein and Son of Dracula. Lon's only turn as the monster and Louise Allbritton is lovely as a vamp in Son of Dracula. :)

I went and looked it up. There's some news story that Joan Collins asked to be removed from the book, as Shirley talks about some ribald behavior involving Joan... Poor Joan. She's 80 years old; imagine having to deal with this stuff at her age...

I don't know if you remember a couple of years ago when Peter Lawford had a day during SUTS but most everyone on these boards were appalled he was chosen, mainly due to his private life. Personally, I found the attacks on him unnecessary and down right mean.

Well, all I know is after watchin' "The Music Man" again tonight, for the next three days or so when I take my dog Moose for his daily walk, I'll be steppin' to the beat of that darn "76 Trombones" ditty rattlin' around in my head again!

(...could be worse though...those "voices" I used to hear could come back!)

;)

YEAH! And what the heck is wrong with the name "MOOSE"???

That's a PERFECT name for my little spaniel-mix buddy I rescued from the pound years ago! You know, like Curly Howard had no hair?! An oxymoronic sorta thing.

And if you're wonderin' what he's mixed with, the popular opinion seems to be a Tasmanian Devil.

(...well, he sometimes acts that way, anyway) ;)

I did not watch Any of her movies today, she is my Least favourite actress. Why they even had a Shirley Jones day is beyond me except for the fact that she has a 'Tell all Book Out' that TCM is promoting and it seemed more like One Big Info Commercial if you ask me !

I could always take her or leave her, but once again the "SUTS magic" is workin' on me a bit, and after watching a few of her films again today and tonight, I found myself appreciating her multi-talents just a little more than before.

I don't understand why anyone would not like Shirley Jones. I can see benign indifference ("take her or leave her") but not outright dislike. What's not to like?

She was a talented singer and a good actress. Maybe not a great one, but everything I've seen her in, she's done a creditable job.

She's in two of the best musicals of all time, *Oklahoma !* and *The Music Man* . She had a lovely voice, and an exceptionally pretty face, kind of sparkly looking (not that looks should enter into an assessment of her worth as an actress, but let's face it, they almost always do...)

Shirley Jones was also in at least one great movie (not counting the musicals), *Elmer Gantry* . Amazingly - don't know how this could be so-I'd never seen it before yesterday. It knocked me out. So much to think about in it, so many ideas. Not to mention the clever dialogue and highly entertaining "revival meeting" scenes.

And Shirley's performance added to the overall high quality of the film.

So, "in conclusion", I don't understand why anyone would object to her being one of the Summer's Stars on TCM.

(ps: maybe I'm supposed to spell her name "Surely" ? :l )

A carousel ride, presumably.

You know fi, not everything we discuss here has to be a big deal, with some kind of conclusive debate as to the merits or lack thereof of an actor or actress. It's ok to not have a strong opinion about someone.

I'm not trying to "persuade" anyone to alter whatever opinion they have of Surely Jones, I'm just stating mine (which of course is the correct one. :l )

Still, how can you resist such a pretty face?

shirley-jones-in-oklahoma-by-j-r-eyerman

O, what a beautiful morning...although it would be even better if

finance liked me as much as he does that Ava woman.