Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arturo

Jeanne Crain SUTS Monday, Aug. 26.

Let's here it for the lovely Miss Crain, who gets her tribute tomorrow. It seems most films featured she made at 20th,, where she was under contract twelve years. Many must be premieres at TCM,.and are among the films that kept her a big star in the 40s and 50s.

Edited by: Arturo on Aug 25, 2013 11:52 AM

Yes, Arturo :) Bravo TCM. Really looking forward to tomorrows line-up of Jeanne Crain films. Many of these films have been requested for years and here they are. Thanks TCM for the great line-up tomorrow :)

:) Yea! I finally set to see *Apartment for Peggy* again tomorrow afternoon. There's a scene where Edmund Gwenn's college professor thinks he's teaching American government to a class of European war brides but finds out that after living with tyranny back home they know what we have here better than most of us. Despite some serious moments this is a charming film, lighter than *The Best Years of Our Lives*, but showing both the positive and negative sides of life for returning G-I's and their families. It's a treat for new viewers and old.

The blurb for THE FAN seems wrong. This is Wilde`s Lady Windermere`s Fan, and the husband, Richard Greene, isn't straying.

If you want a laugh (albeit a pathetic one) check out Jeanne Crain's schedule for tomw. Next to *Margie* it reads *CRIME* LOL - maybe whoever drcided to label the film felt that Margie having a crush on her high school teacher or loosing her bloomers made this a CRIME film LOL

WHAT?! No "Pinky"???!!!

(...and here I was SO looking forward to talking about that one after the other day's events around here!!!)

LOL

Don't fret Dargo. *Pinky* is on the schedule, and it is labeled as a Drama.

At least they got that one right. But Margie's crimes of loosing her bloomers and her crushes will also make for great posts tomw LOL

Dangerous Crossing has shown on the Fox Movie Channel about 30 times this year, but for those who haven't seen it, it's definitely one of the best offerings of tomorrow's tribute. I'm also looking forward to Twenty Plus Two and Apartment For Peggy, both of which are also TCM premieres and neither of which I've seen.

Too bad we're not getting Letter to Three Wives, but that one's played several times in recent years and I'm sure we'll be getting it again.

Andy, I'm also looking forward to *Twenty Plus Two* , it's the only one on the schedule I haven't seen. *Apatment for Peggy* is a lovely film. Jeanne, Holden and Gwenn are great in it.Very touching and sweet, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jeanne Crain was in a nice segment ( "Gift of the Magi", with Farley Granger) in *O Henry's Full House* . And *Vicki* features Jeanne with Jean Peters (really like the casting there) . And let's not forget one of Jeanne's later movies, the cult classic *Hot Rod's To Hell* costarring Dana Andrews. Maybe these can be on a future schedule.

Jean Peters was in The Magi with Crain, as she was in TAKE CARE OF MY LITTLE GIRL.

Arturo, correction, Jean Peters was in "The Last Leaf" segment with Anne Baxter. The *O HENRY's FULL HOUSE* had 5 short separate stories, Jeanne Crain was in the last segment only.

Edited by: mrroberts on Aug 26, 2013 1:01 AM

Edited by: mrroberts on Aug 26, 2013 1:01 AM

Thanks for the correction mrroberts. I knew the episode with Jean Peters also had another top Fox female star, and in my mind, guess it pictured Crain instead of Anne Baxter.

I find it pretty amazing that of the 13 movies featured today for Jeanne Crain, 9 are from 20th Century Fox, with two-thirds of those being TCM premieres. Before 3 or so years ago, it was the rare Fox film that found its way to TCM, and now that FMC has its schzoid personality, and has only a handful of its classics in constant rotation for months on end, its good to see TCM being able to lease more of 20th's films.

Hope people are enjoying them, particularly standouts like MARGIE, APARTMENT FOR PEGGY, THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER and PINKY, although all are worth a look imho. MARGIE demonstrated she could carry a film charmingly, AFP showed Jeanne quite adept as a fast-talking miss, PINKY showed she could give an Oscar-worthy performance, and TM&TMB revealed that her studio was now considering her for more adult roles in light of the nomination.

"You Were Meant for Me" was on earlier today. I had never even heard of this one. I found myself wanting more. I felt it was just a so-so movie. I expected more musical numbers, since Dan Dailey was the male lead, and I guess I was a little disappointed in it. Any other opinions?

Terrence.

LOL. Had it progressed further, it might have been a CRIME......(LOL)

Well it did with the teacher, Margie marries him, but good thing it stopped with those bloomers LOL

I was so looking forward to Twenty Plus Two, but so disappointed. The film was not good despite the cast , practically every character actor from the 50's and 60's seemed to appear in this film.(Janseen as the lead was about as unemotional and wooden as usual, and I use to love him as Richard Kimble) no chemistry there with him and Dina Merrill or Jeanne. It was still great to see so many of Jeanne's films yesterday. Thanks again TCM for the Jeanne Crain's day of films.

*Ah shoot! These premieres almost all occurred during the day. Must.check.days.more.often.*

Here's a hot tip: The overwhelming majority of the more interesting and unusual movies that TCM shows are nearly always scheduled between midnight and 8:00 the next evening, and particularly from about 2:00 in the morning until 6:00 the next afternoon. Prime time is generally reserved for the time tested and true (like "The Essentials"), which means in practice that it's mostly all repeats.

When I was working full time, and all I had a chance to see on TCM was its prime time offerings, it struck me as a very good but not great station, with very few movies that I hadn't seen many times over at old time repertory theaters. It wasn't until I had the time to go over my Now Playing guide, and got a good DVD recorder to cover movies that I couldn't watch "live", that I was fully able to appreciate the wonders of our beloved network.

Not having watched The Fugitive on TV when I was growing up, David Janssen was a first time experience in Twenty Plus Two. I kind of enjoyed it mainly because I'll go for any film with the arch-villain Brad Dexter in it, but other than that nice little bonus, it struck me as kind of a low budget James Bond. Not so much in the plot, but in the buttoned-down look of the hero, and as you say, in the overall emotionless portrayal of the characters. But then I was never much of a James Bond fan, either.

The other solution is to move way out west (like the far end of the Aleutian Islands) where the good movies are on in prime time. ;)

Yes, unfortunately for working people, the treasure trove of TCM's offerings occur between 6am-6pm generally during the day. I rarely watch anything in primetime because its mostly stuff that has been shown over and over again constantly throughout the year........(and rarely stuff from before the 40s)....

But could one find a job in the Aleutian Islands? Do they even have cable out there? (LOL)...