Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams

Dothery

My God, what a stunning movie. I turned it on because there wasn't anything else on, but I was pinned to the chair until it was over. And when it was I couldn't believe that was all there was. I never saw it before. I always liked Martin Balsam, but never saw him in anything where the part had such depth.

Joanne Woodward, of course, was a different story. I have to admit the one thing I loved her best for was her voice-over of The Age of Innocence. I didn't know who was doing the narration until it was over, and when I looked it up I was surprised to see it was she. What a lovely voice. She was right on the money in this movie, the hard voice, the firm rejection of everything anyone said ... oh, boy, do I know people like that ... until something happens to crack the facade. The rest of the cast was great. Just a perfectly made picture.

I thought the film was spot on when I saw it when it came out, but when I watched it a few years ago when it was on, it seemed really dated. But the performances still held up. Joanne was up for an Oscar and won the NY Critics Award for it. Balsam wasnt up for anything. One of the scandal rags had a story awhile back saying she has Alzheimers. I hope it isnt true........

And Sylvia Sidney has a great bit too. She was up for Supporting Actress (lost to Tatum).......

Edited by: Hibi on Aug 28, 2013 10:11 AM

Wow, Sepia. I thought the film didn't "suck" at all. While not a great film, the performances in it by all the actors made it a worthwhile experience to view in my case. I also thought the pace gave it somewhat of a "European" feel, meaning slow and thoughtful and intimate, and thus somewhat unique enough from most American-made films to make it interesting.

Something I kept thinking of while watching it last night was how much Woodward reminded me of another cold and distant but ultimately fascinating to watch maternal-type character in another movie made just a few years later...the wife and mother Mary Tyler Moore played in "Ordinary People".

I am sorry I didn't watch or DVR this one. I remember when I saw in the movies, I was a bit underwhelmed, but thought it was OK.I will re visit next time it is shown.. And yes, Joanne did win the NY Film Critics Award, and in those days, with a lot more newspapers and critics, the Award really meant something. I always thought she would get her second Oscar for this, but it went for a second time in a few years to Glenda Jackson for Touch of Class. Not taking anything away from Jackson, but I was not always sure that was an Oscar worthy performance.

Edited by: StBartsActor on Aug 29, 2013 8:32 AM

Neither were Joanne or some of the other nominees (over Glenda Jackson winning) judging by their on camera reactions! (Barbra was backstage, so I think hers was unrecorded, but I expect she thought she'd win) I agree about Glenda. I'm sure even she was shocked......

Edited by: Hibi on Aug 29, 2013 1:49 PM

>It couldn't mean anything else because I HAVEN'T seen this particular movie. I hope they show it again, because I'd LOVE to see it. Couldn't view it that day because LIFE got in the way...( ;) )

WAIT! You have a LIFE???

Please elaborate on that concept for me, as I have completely forgotten what that's like!

(...and which is probably painfully obvious to most around here!!!) ;)

LOL

Having a life means you spend maybe an hour or two on this site, only to return the NEXT day and find THREE OR MORE PAGES have been added to a particular thread. You have to decide if you wish to add or reply to a comment made three posts after your last one, which was a couple of pages ago, and three or four different subjects that the thread was highjacked into.

Sepiatone

Neither were Joanne or some of the other nominees (over Glenda Jackson winning) judging by their on camera reactions! (Barbra was backstage, so I think hers was unrecorded, but I expect she thought she'd win) I agree about Glenda. I'm sure even she was shocked......

Was this the year that Streisand was nominated for THE WAY WE WERE?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings