Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's an Idea!

Sepiatone

Much discussion in this forum has been devoted to the showing of movies that some member feel TCM SHOULDN'T be showing. Others say it doesn't matter.

Since I haven't the power, money or influence to start up something like I'm about to suggest, I guess I'm looking for any responses to the idea.

The idea is this: My cable provider, and other providers, carries a service called MUSIC CHOICE. On my service, it covers much of the 500 channel range. For example, "Classic Rock" is found on channel 511. It (Music Choice) features a wide scope of music. Latin( in many forms), urban, "light classical", classical masterpieces, easy listening, big band and swing, blues, jazz, three or four country channels, metal, etc.

Of course the rights to the music are probably easier to get than for movies, but imagine!

A special channel for "Screwball Comedy", or "Film Noir". Or possibly by decade, like "1930-40" and so on.

I know we already have "Starz" and "Encore" that show uncut movies for free, but the age and types of movies are mixed, with some movie from last year possibly being followed by some flick from the '80's.

Logistically speaking, from a business standpoint, such a thing would be far fetched, I realize. But, doesn't it sound HEAVENLY?

Sepiatone

If there is a Heaven, and assuming that most people will go there (only the REAL baddies go to the other place) what will all of the whiners and complainers do in Heaven? They will be miserable. Sounds like a good Twlight Zone or Night Gallery episode.

The situation with music is different. Music takes up a lot less bandwidth and more channels of music are cheaper to transmit over cable and satellite than pictures and sound.

Also, there is some company, or organization, or something that radio stations pay a fee to so they can broadcast a wide variety of music. This system began in the old days of radio, with some help from the government, so that radio stations would not have to negotiate fees for each and every record and with different record companies.

But multiple movie channels would be costly and take up a lot of satellite bandwidth, and films do require fee and rights negotiations for nearly every film shown and nearly every time it is shown. So, TV channels are much more expensive.

One possible solution I've thought of, is Two TCM channels. One for pre-60 films and another for post-60 films. That would take in all movie audiences of all ages and all fans of all eras of movies. I think two TCM channels could knock channels like Encore out of business.

I think Encore has 8 different film channels and I think it is costly to subscribe to. I had it free for three months, and I enjoyed all the different channels, but there was quite an absence of films before the 1980s and 70s, except for older Westerns, so that absence of films from the 60, 70s, 80s, and most of the 90s leaves a vacuum of many 1960 to 2000 films not being shown on Encore. Many of these are some of the films that some people like to see on TCM, but they are not the kinds of us pre-60 film fans want to see.

So, I figure that 2 TCM channels might work. pre-60 and post-60, always offered in the same cable package, and all with no commercials.

>I know we already have "Starz" and "Encore" that show uncut movies for free, but the age and types of movies are mixed, with some movie from last year possibly being followed by some flick from the '80's.

Who's your service provider? I'm with DirecTV and I sure don't get

Starz and Encore for free. Both are considered premium channels. Now the package I have does include the Encore channels, but it cost more than any that doesn't so I wouldn't exactly call that free.It's just figured directly into the monthly rate instead of separately.

Multiple TCM channels would be a dream come true, but the cost would be prohibited. Starting a new channel can cost well over $100 million. If you don't believe me, just ask Oprah.

If Time-Warner had that kind of money in the petty cash box, I'll bet they'd be starting another channel that they could load up with commercials. They might be happy with one TCM, but I don't think having two, three, five or ten more would be on the top of their to do list.

But, I do agree that it would certainly be "heavenly". As for the "other place" I hope it's full of the people who had a hand in changing AMC's format.

Edited by: markfp2 on Aug 26, 2013 11:16 PM

I have Wide Open West (WOW). From 480 to 489 is a mix of Starz and Encore movies. 489 to 493 is HD signals of the first five Starz channels, and 494 is Starz on Demand. 479 is ENCORE on Demand, with a choice of movies of a wider variety of ages. They both come with the digital package. Cannel 1 is WOW on Demand, which offers the more recent movies you have to pay a fee for. Most of the movies on Starz on Demand show up on those first nine channels at various times. They also show the "originals", like MAGIC CITY( superb program!) and SPARTICUS( also superb).

Other people on here mentioned about SUBSCRIBING to TCM. TCM comes included in the BASIC package offered by both WOW AND Comcast in these parts. No extra fee.

Sepiatone

*Of course the rights to the music are probably easier to get than for movies, but imagine!*

*A special channel for "Screwball Comedy", or "Film Noir". Or possibly by decade, like "1930-40" and so on.*

*I know we already have "Starz" and "Encore" that show uncut movies for free, but the age and types of movies are mixed, with some movie from last year possibly being followed by some flick from the '80's.*

*Logistically speaking, from a business standpoint, such a thing would be far fetched, I realize. But, doesn't it sound HEAVENLY?*

In a word: *No.* Much as I love to complain about the insufferable Mickey Rooney and too many musicals and westerns, I prefer the current version of TCM for the same reason I enjoy living in an integrated neighborhood, and for the same reason I'd rather participate in forums with a variety of views rather than forums where everyone is just reinforcing each other's opinions.

If we started shuffling the many TCM genres into separate channels, I'm sure I wouldn't have seen The Naked Spur or The Violent Men, because out of inertia / force of habit I'd usually gravitate to the Noir / Gangster channel and avoid the Westerns channel altogether. And since I would almost certainly screen out the Musicals channel, I'd likely have missed The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and heaven forbid, 42nd Street and Footlight Parade. And yet my ability to summon up Jimmy Cagney's version of "Shanghai Lil" in my mind at any time I want to has undoubtedly improved my overall quality of life by at least 2%.

There is, however, one channel I'd like to see established as a supplement rather than as a breakway, and that's a channel for foreign films. Of course the rights issues would make that impossible to sustain, but given that TCM probably averages no more than 3 or 4 foreign movies a week, and given the vast number of classic foreign films out there that we never get a chance to see, a Foreign movie channel would be a real addition to what we have today.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings