Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Sand Pebbles

Well, what am I suppose to do with a whole day of Rex Harrison? *Nothin'!* :( Tonite I will finally watch my Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Dracula vcd. The Sand Pebbles comes on a local PBS station at eight tonite, JakeHolman may wanna tune in if he can get it, I myself only really like the beginning of the film with the local indigenous fellas in the engine room. I myself feel that the film never really gets going what with a PC martinet officer like Richard Crenna so I'll just watch my vcd. I'm outta fresh CD-Rs so I hadda use some old mouldy CD-RW disc I scrounged from one of my spools. :)

FlyBackTransformer wrote:

Well, what am I supposed to do with a whole day of Rex Harrison? Nothin'!

What else can you do? As far as I'm concerned SUTS ended yesterday. I've been watching old Westerns and waiting for *Kansas* *City Confidential* and *Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy* tonight. I've never seen a movie I liked Mr. Harrison in and think him overrated. I can't even put actor as a tag on this post.

Is it true that nobody came to his funeral? Was he that disliked? At least Walter Winchel's daughter showed up for his and she was the only mourner.

The Sand Pebbles actually has quite a literate script, by Robert Anderson, who wrote Tea and Sympathy. Really nice, erudite man. Regarding Rex Harrison, I agree with you. He was fun in Night Train to Munich, but I think his Oscar win for My Fair Lady was one of the great travesties of the Academy Awards. Every other nominated actor that year (Burton, O'Toole, Quinn, Sellers) gave a better performance.

I've seen Harrison on stage twice, in Aren't We All and The Admirable Crichton. He was ok. I've heard he was an SOB!

RO's introduction of the film "The Foxes of Harrow" tonight where he recounts the friction between Rex Harrison and Maureen O'Hara during the filming of this movie, and his mentioning that Harrison was married 6 times, pretty much DOES confirm the thought that the guy was a real "Piece O' Work", doesn't it!

Too bad you feel that way, finance. I found it compelling. Yeah, it drags a bit here and there, but when you do ANY movie involving China's political history, it can't be helped. It was so complex( China's history, I mean) and often confusing and never really covered well in American World History classes. Robert S. Elegant's book "The Dynasty", although heavily peppered in soap opera-ish storyline, paints a very clear picture of this complex national story.

What I find amusing about it is, I meet people often who after seeing it for the first time, voice surprise that Candace Bergen was once a "serious" actress. Many admit they only first knew her from "Murphy Brown". Or, at the very earliest, "T.R. Baskin".

Sepiatone

mrroberts, Noel Harrison sang the song Windmills of your Mind for a Steve McQueen film called The Thomas Crown Affair. He hated his father because his father always took his girlfriends away from him. And about the Sand Pebbles I have it on dvd and watched all the specials when I got it about 2 years ago. I don't have the book but believe the movie is close to the story. Richard McKenna the author enlisted in the Navy in 1931. He was stationed on gunboats in the Yangtze River and heard many stories about the 1920's Chinese Revolution. He decided he would write a novel one day based on all the stories and called it The Sand Pebbles.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings