Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rex Harrison

Dothery

I love old English movies. I watched "Storm in a Teacup" this morning, and was knocked sideways by some of the dialogue, even though it was said too fast for me to catch some of it. I loved Sara Allgood saying she'd been waiting "like Patience on a document."

It was really Cecil Parker's movie, though. Villain though he was, the high-and-mighty keeper of law and order, he did it so well he almost had my sympathy, and he turned out well in the end. Rex Harrison and that odd-shaped head were present and skillful, and of course Vivien Leigh always was wonderful.

Harrison is one of those "accquired tastes" that many people never do accquire. I too, thinks he takes some time getting used to. I DID like him in the warhorses; "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir". "Anna and The King of Siam", "My Fair Lady"...but not much else. Never did see "Dr. Doolittle", but I'm told I didn't miss anything, so...

I have an old vinyl LP of Harrison narrating "Peter and The Wolf", and I always kind of liked his sound of "British", and likely could listen to him longer than watch.

Sepiatone

"Dr. Doolittle" has one of the most beautiful songs ever written, "When I look in Your Eyes." Harrison sings it to a seal. I played it for 20 years in clubs and never failed to have people lost in a dream at the end. The words are so lovely:

"When I look in your eyes

I see the wisdom of the world in your eyes

I see the sadness of a thousand goodbyes

When I look in your eyes,

And it is no surprise

To see the softness of the moon in your eyes

The gentle sparkle of the stars in the skies

When I look in your eyes.

In your eyes, I see the deepness of the sea

I see the deepness of the love,

The love I feel you feel for me,

Autumn comes, summer dies

I see the passing of the years in your eyes,

And when we part, there'll be no tears, no goodbyes

I'll just look into your eyes.

Those eyes, so wise, so soft, so real,

How I love the world your eyes reveal."

I

I believe that *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* is one of the films Fox has been reluctant to license to other stations. Too bad it couldn't be shown on Rex Harrison's day, for it's one of his best films and best performances.

I was very glad that *St. Martin's Lane* (*Sidewalks of London*) was shown, because Vivien Leigh and Charles Laughton are terrific. Also liked *The Foxes of Harrow*, with Rex Harrison a more caddish Rhett Butler type, and Maureen O'Hara extremely beautiful in the Scarlett role. Susan Doll's article on the Morlocks site about this film is excellent.

The more I read about Rex Harrison its a wonder that he wasn't cast as Ratchett in *Murder On The Orient Express* (who was played by my man Richard Widmark) . If Rex had been in the movie there would been more than a dozen lined up to take a stab at him. Using real weapons no less.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings