Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollywood has not made enough space melodramas

And I don't mean Star Trek or Star Wars but films with a viable story with some connection to reality...like John Sturges-directed Marooned from 1969. Kubrick's film doesn't count because it is a disconnected science fiction visual monologue and the planet of the apes movies while very imaginative are just speculative melodrama. Since Marooned in 1969, I can only think of onlyt two films that qualify as geniune space dramas, The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 therefore I intend to be quite open-minded about *Gravity* despite Clooney and Bullock as the SFX could make it worth watching. Clooney and Bullock helpless in space with dwindling oxygen might be enjoyable too. :)

You can say THAT again, Fly! I couldn't agree MORE with ya here!

I've been sayin' THIS very same thing for YEARS now, and ever since those b*stards in Tinseltown started rejecting my script with the working title:

"Mildred Pierce: Queen of Outer Space" !

I thought DR Smith from Lost In Space was the Queen Of Outer Space.

Actually, a few years ago there was a film called the Astronaut Farmer with Billy Bob Thorton and Virginia Madsen. It was a man who build a Mercury Rocket on his Texas farm. It wasn't half bad.

>I thought DR Smith from Lost In Space was the Queen Of Outer Space.

Hmmm...ya know sfp, now that I THINK about that, maybe THAT'S where I've been goin' wrong all this time here!

Yeah, maybe just a little rewrite here and there, and then MAYBE some WEST Hollywood-based film producer might be interested in my script, RIGHT?!

Thanks, I never would've thought of this otherwise.

(...ya see, THIS is the very reason I hang around here with you folks...for all these great ideas you folks come up with around here!)

;)

The last good melodrama I've seen was "Taken", a TV mini series back in 2002. It was never repeated. Movie even had a nice end title song "Just Before It Gets Dark" by Emmylou Harris.

Song and lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjr4YqPaiMI

taken.jpg

Footnote: This was the last time the Sci-fi Channel showed anything good.

Edited by: hamradio on Aug 30, 2013 10:09 PM

How about 'Communion' (1989)

True story of Whitley Streiber's experiences of being abducted - starring Christopher Walken.

Along the same lines, but with an even more harrowing 'space' section, is the movie about Travis Walton's abduction, 'Fire in the Sky' (1993) starring D.B. Sweeney.

Don't come much more melodramatic than those.

Nah, I'd like to see something big and bad and kinda grandiose. Take the basic premise of Lost in Space that Irwin Allen started with before he went bonkers because LIS was being trounced by Batman on ABC. That premise was a one-way deep space colonization probe featuring a fantastic spaceship. Something along those lines. Today's hollywood machine has no sense for the bigger than life dramatic or the grandiose. None. They won't let conservatives make or do anything out there. Maybe they've been ignorantly passing up dozens of Irwin Allens and George Pals.

There is a made for TV movie that has what you are looking for "Evacuate Earth" (2012). This movie was quite good with SFX's. The plot surrounds the discovery of a rogue neutron star on a collision course with Earth. We had about 76 years to make plans to find a new home and build a HUGE ark using nuclear pulse detonation propulsion.

We barely made it out with only a handful of survivors. Saturn and Earth was destroyed.

The threat, only 15 miles across but has the mass of a giant star.

mqdefault.jpg

Evacuate[iEarth[/i]solarsystemneutron+star.jpg]

The Space Ark

1355289896_11111.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings