Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope sept.1st at noon

I get a little upset when I see that little promo on Hitch by Farley Granger, and I don't think its that old either. Several years ago he did a book tour and was right in my area, but I was working and didn't go to see him. And of course now he's gone. I really should have knocked off that day and gone to meet him, get the book and signed and all. You don't get many opportunities especially with so few of the real classic performers that are still with us. --- I have Dr Ingrid on retainer as my personal psychiatrist. You love *Rope* , one of my favorite Hitchcock films is *Dial M For Murder* , done in somewhat of a similar style although Hitch isn't quite so obsessed with long uninterrupted takes.

Rope isn't bad, but Richard Fleischer's Compulsion was a much better take on the Leopold-Loeb case. Orson Welles' rendition of Clarence Darrow's final summary for the defense was a performance for the ages.

In real life, Loeb wound up being murdered by a fellow inmate in jail after allegedly making sexual advances. This resulted in a memorable newspaper lead, written by Ed Lahey in the Chicago Daily News:

*"Richard Loeb, despite his erudition, today ended his sentence with a proposition."*

Murder! is certainly interesting. From the inter-cut closeups of bread and cheese and chicken, it looks like Hitch was using the film for supermarket advertising.

Judging also by the closeup of the woman putting on her undies at the beginning, it looks like Hitch had unhealthy proclivities very early in his career.

No wonder this movie isn't more in rotation.

Ah well, he got better.

I can't watch this film. The killers are just too happy and jovial about their murder.

I met several serial killers during my news career, and several committed murders after I met them. I met at least three for sure, and perhaps two or three more. Two eventually were caught and served long jail terms. I think one might still be in jail. Another became rich and famous. He killed lone Indians and African natives in jungles where he went on film safaris. He told me about it when I met him in a film lab in 1963. He told one of the stories as if it was "self defense".

Years later I saw this guy on network TV being interviewed. He claimed to have killed 26 men. The host of the show laughed and did not believe him. But I believed him. The trick was he killed lone and helpless Africans and Jungle Indians who lived along the East Coast of Central and South America, where there are no police, no roads, no telephones, and he was able to get away with it. In Africa, in some of the countries having revolutions back in the 1960s and 70s, like Rodesia, they allowed white hunters to pay for human-hunting trips where they searched the jungles for "bandits" and "revolutionaries". These were "the most dangerous game" type of hunting trips.

Later I met a second guy who told me about going on one of the human-hunting trips, but he was upset because he had spent a lot of money for the trip but his patrol group didn't find any revolutionaries to kill.

All of these were thrill killings of different kinds.

I don't know when the term "serial killer" began to be use, but serial killers have been in this country and others from the beginning.

There was a guy who killed women he met at the Chicago World's Fair in 1883. From 27 to as many as 200 murders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

Mafia murderers and hit men are serial killers. Hispanic and black drive-by shooter teens and young men are serial killers and usually thrill killers when they shoot random subjects. This happens in Albuquerque every month or so.

There are lots of mass murder killings going on in Northern Mexico right now. Lots of women killed in Juarez just for sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_homicides_in_Ciudad_Ju%C3%A1rez

>OMG, I can not imagine what that must have been like ! Didn't they give you nightmares?

When I was young and foolish, they didn?t scare me too much, but by the time I got into my 40s, they began to make me nervous. I had to go into a prison to interview some killers, and that was spooky. Most of these guys, and women too, acted like normal people, so it is impossible to tell that they are capable of murder.

The guy that killed only Indians and poor jungle Africans became wealthy and famous. He always presented himself on TV shows as an ?adventurer.? I?m sure he told only a very few people about some of his killings, and he must have told them about it in terms of ?self defense?. I met him in 1963 but I didn?t figure it out until years later, after I met some of the types of Indians he had killed. They were quite harmless people, known to be friendly to outsiders. They live along the remote Jungle East Coast of Central America.

I wish I could tell you more details, but some of these people are still alive. One is out of prison and another will be out in a few years.

And yes, I do have occasional nightmares about some of them.

..one is out of prisonand another one willbeout in a few years..

I can see where that would make you nervous !

You mentioned that they acted like "normal people". I find that hard to believe, however, one only has to think about Jody Arias and I guess it is possible.

I still can't imagine what it would be like to interview a serial killer. You must have had nerves of 'steel' !

Stylish movie about stylish killers. I like the compression in both space

and time. I didn't get to see it this afternoon, but I always enjoy it. At

least neither of these two fellows left their eyeglasses at the crime scene

like Leopold (or was it Loeb? Can't recall) did. D'uh.

I suppose mafia hitmen are technically serial killers, but since it's their

job, they're not as interesting as freelancers. Camden is my hometown.

Some years it's listed as the most dangerous city in the U.S. Not sure

about 2012, but they're always shooting for that Number One spot.

>You mentioned that they acted like "normal people". I find that hard to believe, however, one only has to think about Jody Arias and I guess it is possible.

I think most of them act like normal people. That's how they can trick so many victims into being alone with them.

The crazy killers in movies appear to be crazy so we will know or think they are crazy killers, and over the years we grow to think that all killers must be crazy. But they aren't. Most multiple killers, serial killers, act normal most of the time.

If they all went down the street talking to themselves and carrying a gun or hatchet, we would obviously not let ourselves be alone with them, and we would call the cops.

>I suppose mafia hitmen are technically serial killers, but since it's their

>job, they're not as interesting as freelancers.

Yes. Killing multiple people, over time, is a serial killer. The idea that the only kinds of serial killers are white males who go after women or prostitutes is not correct. A serial killer kills multiple people, over time. It doesn't matter if its their "job" or if they do it for "fun" or if they select male or female victims, or if they are white, Italian, Irish, black, Hispanic, Asian, or whatever.

In Northern Mexico right now, it's Hispanic on Hispanic, multiple killings and more multiple killings over time.

I think most of them act like normal people...

Yes, you are right, (but then, you always are ) :)

One only has to think of Ted Bundy who was actually good looking and I guess back then, a lot of women thought he was a good catch. He was a good catch allright, of a different kind !

Just the thought that you were actually in the presence of serial killers gives me the 'willies'.

Twink

>Using your defintion (which I don't agree with), many cops as well as military personal are serial killers.

No, I'm talking about murders, multiple murders, not wartime action.

Like that soldier who killed a bunch of civilians in Afghanistan a year or two ago. Those were murders.

There was a lady in Albq. several years ago who shot and killed her ex-husband in her basement. She pulled out a gun from her dress pocket and killed him.

I don't remember the exact details but she shot and killed two husbands and got away with both murders.

*Two Dead Husbands, One Wife: She Claims Self-Defense*

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960821&slug=2345261##Static

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Sep 1, 2013 4:24 PM

I've never met any serial killers, but I used to gamble in pool with two guys who later were convicted in well publicized murder cases. They couldn't have been more unalike.

One of them was a congenitally violent type who once threatened to get a gun out of his car if I quit when I was ahead, even though I'd told him two hours earlier when I had to pull up, win or lose. A year or so later, this guy thought his girlfriend was cheating on him, so he followed her from Virginia to Oregon and carved her up with a knife.

The other one was a mild mannered guy who was always super friendly to everyone and a total gentleman on the pool tables. But at daybreak one morning he went broke for the umpteenth time on a bad matchup, and later that day agreed to a contract murder of a government bureaucrat's wife. It was the bureaucrat's idea to use the insurance money to set up an after hours gambling joint in southern Maryland, with the pool player as his manager. He'd been trying for months to get the pool player to go along with his scheme, to no avail before.

After a nationwide manhunt, the murderer got the death penalty imposed on him by future Watergate judge John Sirica, but the Supreme Court threw out the death penalty a few months later and yada yada yada he's back in the pool room today. Nobody who didn't know him from "then" (the early 70's) would have a clue that he'd ever been involved in a ghastly and gruesome murder.

Oh, and the bureaucrat broke down in court during his own trial, claimed he'd found Jesus, and got off with a few years. Never mind that he was the one who paid for the murder of his own wife. I guess it goes without saying that he was white and the pool player was black.

Not that either of these guys were serial killers, but they would have both made interesting if opposing types of movie criminals.

Even though mafia hitmen kill numbers of people over time, in popular culture they usually aren't known as or called serial killers. They are

called hitmen or some other name, but rarely serial killers. In most

books or TV shows about serial killers, organized crime killers are

rarely mentioned. It's a quirk of culture and language I suppose.

Indeed, serial killers and their victims can come from any racial, gender or ethnic group, but we are most familiar with white serial killers killing women. Ted Bundy, The Boston Strangler, and the granddaddy of them all, Jack the Ripper. This one kind has become the archetype of the serial

killer.

So when you posted: Yes. Killing multiple people, over time, is a serial killer.

You really meant to say: Yes. Murdering multiple people, over time, is a serial killer.

Anyhow, to me a serial killer has a psychological component. So those Mexican killers are just doing their job are not serial killer in my view unless they get a certain psychological 'kick' out of doing so.

>So when you posted: Yes. Killing multiple people, over time, is a serial killer.

>

>You really meant to say: Yes. Murdering multiple people, over time, is a serial killer.

Yes, correct.

I suppose we could count the cops and soldiers who shoot at innocent people, knowing they are innocent but just wanting to kill someone, but those cases are difficult to determine. We might as well include doctors and nurses in that group too. :) Many cases we will just never know about for sure.

>Anyhow, to me a serial killer has a psychological component. So those Mexican killers are just doing their job

Those I don't count as "just doing their job", especially when they cut them up in little pieces before they are dead and cut their heads off and mail them to their family members.

I mean, there are some jobs that require "crazy people" to perform them.

There are millions of people who have died of starvation rather than murder someone for money or a little food.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings