Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

PSYCHO

"I hope they are watching. They'll see. They'll see and they'll know. And they'll say, 'Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly . . .' "

I've never seen this movie in its entirety. I'm looking forward to it tonight.

I have decided to watch again after many years. The first scene always reminds me that Janet Leigh should have gotten the Oscar over Shirley Jones, as much as I like and admired Shirley. . But so much of Janet Leigh acting is silent and she really conveys what needs to be said.

Edited by: StBartsActor on Sep 1, 2013 10:13 PM

I counted 51 different film clips from the time she entered the shower until the time the camera left the bathroom. There were additional clips when the camera returned to the bathroom during the cleranup. I think Hitchcock said there were something like 78 separate pieces of film that made up that whole sequence.

I never could watch Tony Perkins in any movie after this one, without thinking he was crazy.

Also, since I first saw it years ago, I haven't been able to take a shower without the bathroom door locked, and sometimes with a char in front of it.

My favorite scene is where Martin Balsam climbs the stairs to the second floor. There's a top-down shot of Norman rushing out to surprise him, stabbing him over and over as he back-pedals, looking upward into the camera as it follows him to the first floor landing. That retreat down the staircase gets me every time :)

One of my favorite scenes ever is when we finally see Mother when she gets turned around in the chair... then that music starts to play and crazy Perkins runs in.... amazing!

The last time I saw Psycho I deliberately left the room while the shower scene was playing, lol...

Sure makes a sponge bath look mighty inviting. I was watching an

episode of AHP recently and it too had a nosey cop sticking his

face right into the driver's side open window. It was one of the episodes

directed by Hitch. Wonder if he remembered that for Psycho.

I believe they rigged up some kind of chair for Balsam to sit in as

he went down the stairs backwards. The motion is a little unusual.

Yeah, that setup they used was the reason his movments looks a

little strange. And what's as bad is what you know is going to

happen to him when he's lands on the floor.

It's kind of sad to me that some films have become so infamous, we "know" many of the scenes before seeing the movie itself.

I showed TikiKid PSYCHO last year because all she knew was the shower scene and the music that goes along with it. She was pretty surprised it was near the beginning.

The movie as a whole is a very well told story and captured her interest for the entirety even though it was "old" and "b&w".

And her take on it was "Norman is so cute, I can't believe he was so screwed up" something as an adult, I never considered. (she's 16)

MrTiki said, "Remember that, you can't tell a kook from his looks."

yess.gif

I was terrified to see THE EXORCIST until I was in my 30's. And by then I had seen every parody of every scene making it not nearly as scary-I pretty much knew what was coming.

> Also, since I first saw it years ago, I haven't been able to take a shower without the bathroom door locked, and sometimes with a char in front of it.

You and the other posters put off taking showers because of *Psycho* need to watch it in a double-bill with *Les diaboliques*. ;-)

> Also, since I first saw it years ago, I haven't been able to take a shower without the bathroom door locked, and sometimes with a char in front of it.

You and the other posters put off taking showers because of *Psycho* need to watch it in a double-bill with *Les diaboliques*. ;-)

Norman Bates HAD to be nuts.

I can't imagine any red-blooded, grown up man who could concentrate on slashing with a knife after throwing back the curtain on a showering Janet Leigh!

Sepiatone

Yeah, well, the WORST I would have done would have been to break one of her TOES when my JAW hit the floor!

Sepiatone

I showed this movie to my daughter and a couple of friends in tandem with Hitchcock one night. My daughter had seen it years ago (why yes, I AM raising my kids right ;) ) but the other two had gotten curious becasue of the TV series "Bates Motel," (the premise of which I do not get--it' supposed tobe the history of Norman's crazy, but it takes place in the present day? So it's like Star Wars--a long time ago, yet somehow in the future?) I guess something good can come out of even the strangest TV ideas...

I know they played fast and loose with the facts in Hitchcock, but I still enjoyed it. A lot. ;)

>You and the other posters put off taking showers because of Psycho need to watch it in a double-bill with Les diaboliques

I guess we'll have to start taking our baths outdoors in a tub in our back yard so we can keep everything in sight all around us. :)

Redneck_Hot_Tub_by_Weaurufu.jpg

With all the media outlets, it's more difficult not see some infamous

scenes from a movie. Norman is a bit cute, though that shot of his

Adam's apple bobbing up and down to beat the band while he's

munching his snack is somewhat off putting.

I never found The Exorcist all that scary, except for all of Regan's

bodily fluids messing up that lovely house. :(

So it's like Star Wars--a long time ago, yet somehow in the future?

No. Star Wars is set in the past but not our past. It is the past of "a galaxy far, far away."

Yes selima, but

starwars-facebook-timeline-cover-picture

,aren't they?

(...well, except for the Milky Way of course...'cause were in it)