Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

PSYCHO

No, that's Marion's boss who walks in front of her car.......

Is it safe to assume that everyone recognizes Ted Knight (aka Ted Baxter, MTM show ) as the cop standing guard in the last scene in the film?

Yeah, but word is he was Hitch's second choice for the part...and after George Putnum turned down the role.

(...maybe ya gotta be an Angeleno to get this one) ;)

LOL. I do. It kinda breaks up that scene for me because I always laugh. But how could Hitch know 10 years later, Ted would be famous for Ted Baxter? :D

Ted Knight had earlier appeared in an episode of "Highway Patrol". He played a news reporter trying to expose some mob activities and got beaten up rather badly. But Dan Mathews saved him in the end (I don't know why?) Ted should have found another line of work.

This reminds me of the first time I ever watched "Lonely Are The Brave", which was right at the time Carroll O'Connor was such a big hit as Archie Bunker.

Every time in the movie it switched to a short scene of him driving that truck on his way to that fateful final scene on the highway, all I could think of was why was he there so far away from the borough of Queens and didn't he drive a forklift instead?!

You're welcome, Holden. This particular cameo of Hitch's does seem to be one of the easier ones to miss, doesn't it.

Is it? I'll have to look next time. I think you are right, now that I think of it. Notorious is one I cant spot him either. Is he at the racetrack?

I'll have to check next go round. I can never spot him in that one......

Maybe I'm confusing it with another movie, but in Shadow of a Doubt I thought Hitchcock was seen stepping in and out of a room on a train right near the start of the movie, with his back turned to us at first. His face appears only for a second or two before he disappears.

Someone needs to compile a list of Hitchcock cameos. Did he appear in every movie right from the beginning, or didn't this practice begin until sometime in the 1930's?

I'm unsure when the cameos started. But I think it was early on......

Aha. So he was at the party at Rains in Notorious. I've suspected that, but could never find him......

Someone gave me a book about Hitchcock as a gift, and in the back is a list of when his cameos appear. Don't have that book handy now, and can't remember them all. For me, the cameo in THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY is the one that escapes me.

Sepiatone

I'm unsure when the cameos started. But I think it was early on......

Robert Osborne said in his introduction to THE LODGER that Hitchcock's appearances initially were for budgetary reasons so as not to have to pay for additional actors or extras. He said that Hitchcock appeared as at least two characters in THE LODGER (I say at least two because I know it was more than one but I don't remember the exact number).

Some people have said that Psycho was a low-budget film, but years ago I was on a Universal tour and we were taken by a tram up to a back-lot hill where the Bates motel still was located, and the big old victorian house was up on the hill behind the motel. They seemed like expensive props to me. But maybe the rest of the film was low budget, but I never really noticed it being low budget.

But another interesting thing about this film. These kinds of films were being made for the teenage horror film market of the 1950s, such as axe murderers, slashers, gouls, monsters. etc.

What was odd about Psycho was that it was a similar type of B-type horror film, but much better made and with a great script and excellent actors.

Hitch's reputation brought a lot of mature adults into the theater to see this B-type of teenage slasher film, which I think is both funny and clever. He should have done many more B-type of slasher films. :)