Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSYCHO

HoldenIsHere

The skull superimposition was cool!! I'd never noticed it before. I only saw the teeth, but still... it was definitely a "blink or you miss it" minute.

What I also loved about the ending was that it was ambiguous. Sure, Norman was in custody, but obviously, his madness became total, the Mother personality took over. He stares at the camera and you walk away with questions... what happens now?

(I haven't seen the sequel in its entirety, and it's been so long that I don't remember any of it.)

HoldenlsHere, thanks for the response. Hitchcock was a genius at how he was able to get his actors and actresses to react to different situations, all in one scene. Notice in the Birds, when Hedren's character first meets up with Pleshett's --watch how Melanie reacts to Annie's inquisitiveness from the moment on the porch until they reach Melanie's car. She says very little to Annie, but alot to the viewer. Just in the way she changes her facial expressions.

Compare the scenes between Marion and Norman after their crimes--Marion as she drives in the rainstorm --the viewer can hear the sound of pouring rain as we watch her panic thinking about the consequences of her crime realizing she will never get away with it, yet she still holds a menacing grin. And then, with Norman, who, after discovering the crime of murder, we hear the sound of the shower, just like the rainstorm, as he panics while cleaning up the scene of the murder. Even Norman has a menacing grin, but instead of thinking about the consequences, the viewer gets to actually see the consequences of the crime. Okay, maybe I am reading into it too much, lol, but still it is lots of fun..

When I showed PSYCHO to the 16 y/o kid, she was completely confused by the ending. She listened closely to the psychiatrist "explanation", but still didn't completely understand.

I thought the length was just right, because it gives you a moment to catch your breath.

Then, you get the closing shot of Norman (back to the story) and you could see the light bulb go on over TikiKid's head.

So, while it may not work well for everyone, the ending was perfect for some.

>Sepia said: Wouldn't it have been cool to instead of superimposing the skull, to have Norman talking to "himself", but using the "Mother's" voice?

He DID, it was just in his head....which to me, was so much better than spoken aloud.

Who's the actress who played "Mother's Voice"? I always thought it was an old lady seen on Andy Griffith's Show, but looking at PSYCHO's credits, guess I was mistaken.

*Who's the actress who played "Mother's Voice"?*

There were three people who did Mother's voice: Virginia Gregg (she did a lot of spots on "Dragnet"), Jeanette Nolan, and at the end it was an actor named Paul Jasmin.

With the psychiatrist's explanation, I felt it was somewhat "comforting" as Norman's actions left you so unsettled, it was nice to have someone dialoguing on the "rationale" behind Norman's mind. But Hibi, yeah, I agree with you, I think Oakland was a little bit over the top in his acting.

I disagree. Admit it, when you first saw this movie, with no knowledge of it at all, didn't you think "Mother" WAS an actual person? Still ALIVE, I mean? Because WE heard her TALKING to Norman, even though we didn't SEE her yet. So Norman MUST have been speaking in both voices. Hearing HIM speak in that voice in the end would have been more creepy for me.

Sepiatone

Compare the scenes between Marion and Norman after their crimes--Marion as she drives in the rainstorm --the viewer can hear the sound of pouring rain as we watch her panic thinking about the consequences of her crime realizing she will never get away with it, yet she still holds a menacing grin. And then, with Norman, who, after discovering the crime of murder, we hear the sound of the shower, just like the rainstorm, as he panics while cleaning up the scene of the murder. Even Norman has a menacing grin, but instead of thinking about the consequences, the viewer gets to actually see the consequences of the crime. Okay, maybe I am reading into it too much, lol, but still it is lots of fun..

ruylopez, that is an interesting parallel: Marion with the sound of the rain and Norman with the sound of the shower after their crimes are committed. Of course, in the case of Norman we are led to believe that Norman is cleaning up his mother's crime. I did wonder why Norman didn't replace the shower curtain.

ruylopez wrote of the Marion Crane character :

"...yet she still holds a menacing grin..."

Really? I don't think I've ever seen Janet Leigh with a "menacing grin" in anything, and definitely not *Psycho*. There was absolutely nothing menacing about her character.

Now, Norman Bates...that's another story !

ruylopez wrote of the Marion Crane character :

"...yet she still holds a menacing grin..."

Really? I don't think I've ever seen Janet Leigh with a "menacing grin" in anything, and definitely not Psycho. There was absolutely nothing menacing about her character.

Now, Norman Bates...that's another story !

misswonderly, I think ruylopez is talking about the part where Marion is imagining as she's driving the conversation between her boss and the oil tycoon whose money she's stolen. Watch that scene, especially when she's imagining the oil tycoon talking about her planning the theft and flirting with him. At one point there is an odd smile on her face and a hint of relishing the crime in her eyes mixed with the panic. Janet Leigh is amazing in that sequence.

What "skull superimposition" ?

I've seen Psycho many times, and never noticed this.

In Norman's final appearance on screen, after the mother's voice says, "Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly," Norman has a closed mouth smile and then for a moment the image of a skull (with teeth) is superimposed over Norman's face... then there is a dissolve to the car being pulled out of the swamp.