Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSYCHO

HoldenIsHere

Psycho opened in San Diego at the California Theater downtown. I remember the ad saying that an ambulance would be at the ready outside the theater in the event of some sort of delirium or nervous breakdown should occur. I don't think I it ever happened. I think I remember being somewhat underwhelmed at the premier. I was a wiseacre kid and thought, big deal. I like it though, in fact, it probably scares me more now than then.

Because of the consistently calm weather, nobody in San Diego ever got excited about anything.

I was under 10 years old when I saw Psycho when it first opened in theaters. I couldn't take a shower after seeing the film for 6 months without my older sister staying in the bathroom with me. The film still frightens me, especially the scene of Martin Balsam falling backwards down that staircase.

PSYCHO was the first mainstream movie to show a toilet.

It not only showed a toilet but (GASP!) also showed it being flushed. 

I used that as a bit of trivia in the Games Forum a couple years ago. Someone actually chided me, mentioning how crude I was to have done so (mentioning the first toilet flush in film). Obviously, they had never seen Psycho (..someone here who hasn't seen Psycho..? ) and didn't realize the toilet contained no waste, only torn paper.

I used that as a bit of trivia in the Games Forum a couple years ago. Someone actually chided me, mentioning how crude I was to have done so (mentioning the first toilet flush in film). Obviously, they had never seen Psycho (..someone here who hasn't seen Psycho..? ) and didn't realize the toilet contained no waste, only torn paper.

Yes, Marion Crane's sister finds some of the torn paper next to the toilet when goes to the Bates Motel looking for information about Marion's disappearance. 

• 3 months later...

I might go.  I'll probably go to the second day showing (the 23rd).  The first day showing (the 20th) is both my husband and my dad's birthday, so I'll probably be busy.  I've seen "Psycho" in the theater before, but it's such a fun movie to watch on the big screen, I'll probably go again.

After that, I'm waiting until the end of November to see "Roman Holiday" and I may go to "Miracle on 34th Street" in December.

I hope Fathom/TCM keep up having 1 movie a month in 2016, I've really been enjoying their events.

I might go.  I'll probably go to the second day showing (the 23rd).  The first day showing (the 20th) is both my husband and my dad's birthday, so I'll probably be busy.  I've seen "Psycho" in the theater before, but it's such a fun movie to watch on the big screen, I'll probably go again.

After that, I'm waiting until the end of November to see "Roman Holiday" and I may go to "Miracle on 34th Street" in December.

I hope Fathom/TCM keep up having 1 movie a month in 2016, I've really been enjoying their events.

I wish Fathom/ TCM  would hold more events in Canada - well, for me, Toronto. But even if it were some other city or province, at least it would be an acknowledgement of the many fans they have in this country. As far as I know, they did it only once, in Toronto, in 2012, for "The Last Picture Show". (that's when I met Ben Mankiowicz ! )

I don't know why they don't schedule more of these events in Canada, it's clear there are lots of classic movie fans on these boards from the north country.

Is anyone planning to see the Fathom event showing of PSYCHO on the big screen this month (September 2015)?  

TCM has been airing the promos for the event.

I'm really mad at myself for not going to the DOUBLE INDEMNITY showing in July(?), but I think I'll prolly try to check out PSYCHO. It's nice, because I live in  small city, that these FATHOM events tend to come to my local theater.

ps- PSYCHO is right up there with MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS and CASABLANCA when it comes to watchability. Turn on any part of it at any time and I'm in.

Is anyone planning to see the Fathom event showing of PSYCHO on the big screen this month (September 2015)?  

TCM has been airing the promos for the event.

Holden, thank you!  I wanted to keep track of these Fathom Events but got caught up with other areas of my life (no excuse, grrr...).  I'm going to try to make a point of seeing Psycho on the big screen. :)

I bought my tix for JAWS at the concession stand, which is apparently where they sell tickets now (having merged it with the box office.)

I bought my tix for JAWS at the concession stand, which is apparently where they sell tickets now (having merged it with the box office.)

OK. Thanks! I'm afraid of buying beforehand and not going or something..........

DITTO. Do you have to buy tickets online before the event, or can you buy them at the theater? (I havent been to one yet)...

You can buy them on Fandango.  But you have to pay the service fee per ticket.

Some movie theaters, like the Cinemark theaters in Portland (that are usually featuring the Fathom events) sells tickets online through their website. 

You can also buy them at the box office.  At least with the theater I usually go to, the box office is open and sometimes, if it's a slow, this information type desk in the lobby sells them.  The only theaters I've been to that sell the tickets at the concession stand are the small town theaters or the small second run movie theaters. 

Buying them online usually involves a small service fee (like $1-$2/ticket).  It's kind of a crapshoot, because you can buy the tickets ahead of time and show up and the theater is barely half full (like when I saw Double Indemnity), then for the next film, you can decide to not buy ahead and it's sold out (that happened to me when I tried to see Singin' in the Rain).  When I saw Jaws, it was sold out, but I had bought a ticket ahead of time.  Usually the TCM events aren't sold out, but when they first started doing these events (Casablanca and Singin' in the Rain), they only had 1 day with 2 showings.  Both events sold out and a month later, TCM/Fathom would add a second day with two showings as an "encore."  I got to see both films during the encore.  I like that they started doing two day showings to begin with.

You can buy them on Fandango.  But you have to pay the service fee per ticket.

Some movie theaters, like the Cinemark theaters in Portland (that are usually featuring the Fathom events) sells tickets online through their website. 

You can also buy them at the box office.  At least with the theater I usually go to, the box office is open and sometimes, if it's a slow, this information type desk in the lobby sells them.  The only theaters I've been to that sell the tickets at the concession stand are the small town theaters or the small second run movie theaters. 

Buying them online usually involves a small service fee (like $1-$2/ticket).  It's kind of a crapshoot, because you can buy the tickets ahead of time and show up and the theater is barely half full (like when I saw Double Indemnity), then for the next film, you can decide to not buy ahead and it's sold out (that happened to me when I tried to see Singin' in the Rain).  When I saw Jaws, it was sold out, but I had bought a ticket ahead of time.  Usually the TCM events aren't sold out, but when they first started doing these events (Casablanca and Singin' in the Rain), they only had 1 day with 2 showings.  Both events sold out and a month later, TCM/Fathom would add a second day with two showings as an "encore."  I got to see both films during the encore.  I like that they started doing two day showings to begin with.

Thanks for the info. Usually a couple theaters are booked for these events locally. I dont want to pay a service fee, so I'll chance it and hope it doesnt sell out..........

Luckily Hitch did not have Marion Crane [another bird symbol obviously] killed while seated on the porcelain edifice, or viewers would say they couldn't function on it for months afterward either which could have created some real problems for their innards. I've seen this movie on the big screen many times and it is always a thrill.

Luckily Hitch did not have Marion Crane [another bird symbol obviously] killed while seated on the porcelain edifice, or viewers would say they couldn't function on it for months afterward either which could have created some real problems for their innards. I've seen this movie on the big screen many times and it is always a thrill.

You probably already know that PSYCHO was the first mainstream movie to show a toilet on screen . . . and it was actually flushed! 

GASP!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just read  that BATES MOTEL, the A&E series that is a modern-day-prequel to the events of 

PSYCHO, has been renewed for a 4th as well as a 5th season.

The 4th season is set to premiere in 2016.

The creators of the series have stated that they wanted 5 seasons to tell the story they wanted to so now they do have those 5 seasons.

It will interesting to see how Norman Bates's dissociative disorder will continue to be portrayed after the intense Season 3 finale where we saw "Mother" take control. I loved the way Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga alternated as "Norman as Mother" during that scene.

The creators have said that Norma's death could depicted anywhere during the remaining 20 episodes  that will comprise the 4th and 5th seasons of the series but expect it will likely occur at about the mid-point.

Vera Farmiga's wonderfully complex portrayal of Norma Bates is one of the most fascinating elements of the series. After Norma's death, her character will be missed, but I'm sure that Vera Farmiga will be continue to surprise viewers as "Norman as Mother."      

• 5 months later...

The Season 4 premiere of BATES MOTEL is tonight (March 7) and I am, well, psyched.

Both Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga will be portraying "Mother" (Norman's alter) this season. 

I watched the movie PSYCHO again this weekend.

Some interesting references to the original movie are planned for BATES MOTEL this season according interviews with the cast and creators.

• Like 1

The Season 4 premiere of BATES MOTEL is tonight (March 7) and I am, well, psyched.

Both Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga will be portraying "Mother" (Norman's alter) this season. 

I watched the movie PSYCHO again this weekend.

Some interesting references to original movie are planned for BATES MOTEL this season according interviews with the cast and creators.

Excellent show, one of the best on television at the moment, IMO.