Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

They're showing Le Havre right now. A 2011 movie ! TCM gets away with this crud too often. Every time someone talks about it, they get called a troll on here or the topic gets ignored. what's up with that ?! sometimes people on here act like a bunch of angry brainwashed sheep.

TCM is a old movie channel. If I wanted to watch new crap like this I'd watch the movie channel or showtime.

stop changing TCM ! if something's not broken , don't fix it. it's bad enough you changed the background and the music the programming is going to far. Mixing oldies with new crap. what next ? sneaking in ads in the middle of movies like the sundance channel ? I already see this channel going downhill. People on here stick their heads in the sand and pretend everything's good.

Not all of you may feel like I feel. I have a right to come here and speak my mind.

It's part of a salute to Telluride or some film festival. Goodness, it's just one movie.

You want oldies? You'll get your wish tonight with films from the dawn of the century and I don't mean the present one either.

In fact, there will be shorts from the 1890s tonight. What other channel would give you over a century's worth of film in one 24-hour period?

It's part of a salute to Telluride or some film festival. Goodness, it's just one movie.

You want oldies? You'll get your wish tonight with films from the dawn of the century and I don't mean the present one either.

In fact, there will be shorts from the 1890s tonight. What other channel would give you over a century's worth of film in one 24-hour period?

And if our boy can hold his breath for another 23 minutes, he'll get to see the TCM premiere of Pitfall, a classic noir with Dick Powell and Raymond Burr.

I honestly don't know why I'm taking the bait, but here goes...

I've never really thought of Turner Classic Movies as an "old movie" channel. I think of it as an "intelligent" movie channel. An "interesting" movie channel. A movie channel for serious movie fans.

I love movies, period. I don't care what year a film was made in- 1903 or 2003 - as long as it engages my attention, as long as I "get" something out of it. Which I can do if the film is good, regardless of whether it is old, new, or middle-aged. ( Hmm, maybe I should start a thread about "middle-aged movies". But everyone would think I was talking about the audience.)

The righteous indignation that always manifests itself whenever a relatively recent film is shown on TCM - "Good Gawd, a movie made in 2011 !? (imagine series of cuss words) How can they do this to us ! " is difficult for me to comprehend.

I have not seen *Le Havre* , nor did I watch it this afternoon, but I looked it up after I read this thread, and as far as I can tell, it looks like a pretty good movie. If the exact same story were told in film in, say, 1947, everyone would think it was just fine.

Don't like it? Just go do something else.

Now please don't get all antsy and tell me I'm being mean and accusing you of trollism (trolliprey?).

I am not. I do not see you as a character from "The Three Billy Goats Gruff". I agree, you do have "a right to come here and speak your mind."

As do I. I'm not calling names, I'm not vilifying you. If there's anywhere you can vent about this matter, it should be here.

But likewise, I also am free to politely state my disagreement with you.

By the way, someone should count all the threads that have been started here by aggrieved TCM viewers who express their outrage when anything after 1960 (an arbitrary date) is aired on this station.

I bet there must be at least a hundred !

The website should offer a prize for the person who creates the 500th thread complaining about recent movies being screened by TCM.

The prize: either a year's subscription to NetFlix, or a personal meeting with the TCM programmers. Their choice. Maybe they could all go to Musso and Franks to discuss it.

(Hey, maybe I should start such a thread...)

And how! What are we suppose to do with Trip to the Moon? Stare at the pretty flickering? How about something more modern and more enjoyable and more up to date in Technicolor like George Pal's Conquest of Space.

Of course Trip To The Moon is only one of the most important landmarks in the history of movies. Not that that should mean anything to the programmers.

But what the hell, let's just run an endless loop of the 1939 Buck Rogers serials instead. Not too old and not too new! Is everybody happy now?

Andy wrote:

"...Not too old and not too new! Is everybody happy now?..."

Right - "middle-aged" movies ! I knew I had something there...

By the way, I just watched *Hugo* on the weekend ( I'm happy to say, own the DVD.)

What a good movie it is. I mention it because of course it celebrates the work of Georges Melies, especially that famous "Moon" adventure. (Which I love and never get tired of. How could anyone not be delighted and charmed by it?)

I recorded the Melies films (including A Trip to the Moon) some time ago. I can watch that two-hour compilation again and again. I'm recording the Edison and Lumiere films tonight. Thrilling stuff, and that's how it all began!

Don't know why people are complaining. This is a great opportunity to see some great foreign gilms, regardless of when they were made. It's not like they're showing mindless CGI films of the last few years.

Le Havre was a really good movie by a successful international filmmaker of the past few decades, and I'm glad they showed it. Same thing with the Fitzcarraldo documentary. You can't watch this stuff on Showtime.

As long as TCM shows tons and tons of classic Hollywood movies, which they do, they're not changing the channel's primary purpose.

I started watching *Le Havre*, not intending to continue, but it was quite good, well acted and smartly directed. Although the plot revolves around a young immigrant from Gabon, the film is really about some interesting working class people in their 60s and how they react to various situations.

I agree with MissWonderly and Clore that I've never thought of TCM as showing movies from a certain era, as much as them showing certain kinds of movies in general. There used to be stations on cable that showed some pretty good recent movies (AMC and even FX every now and then) but there really isn't anymore, as stations are becoming more and more commercial. I wouldn't mind there being two TCM's, one for pre-1968 and the other for 1968 and later, but I'm not sure their audience is big enough to justify that.