Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Mitchum on Night Of The Hunter & Lillian Gish audio interview

OrcoDev

Hey classic movie fans,

Thought you'd enjoy listening to an interview my dad did with actor Robert Mitchum in service of his educational program. Let me know what you think about it. And if you like it, make sure to check out other interviews my dad did on our youtube channel that includes people from the world of film, the military, and politics. Thanks and enjoy!

[Robert Mitchum Interview|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0dB9iMrwMM&list=PLMPg4RkqBExamQ9SC8xjmojtPvoqwObEs&index=3]

Youtube channel [www.youtube.com/orcodevelopment]

educational program: [www.orcodevelopment.org]

Edited by: OrcoDev on Sep 2, 2013 9:34 PM

I just viewed your Mitchum interview, and I also just bought the criterion DVD of the film, on sale of course. A ton of stuff on the DVD (2 discs) so a lot to go through. Mitchum talks in a lot of generalities, he always gives the impression of being indifferent but you know he took his work seriously. And he really liked working with Charles Laughton as the director.

Mitchum was never the most demonstrative gent in these sorts of settings to ever become a major star, ya know James, and with Robert De Niro taking over this mantle in more recent times, in my opinion.

However, I remember this Osborne/Mitchum interview which you speak of, and I remember thinking that for a man who always seemed to be almost embarrassed about his choice of acting as his life's work, that he came across as somewhat open to the idea of expressing at least some of his personal thoughts and opinions in regard to his long career. And thus, I at least didn't feel it was a waste of my time to view that interview, and just as I also felt the same while listening to Orco's father interviewing him over the phone here.

(...if you want "demonstrative", then listen to Orco's dad interviewing the very outgoing Don Ameche on that list...and in this regard, Gregory Peck's anecdotes about his working with Hitchcock were I thought also highly entertaining)

Yep, as evidenced by some of Curtis' interviews with David Letterman on his program over the years.

(...and in particular his less than discretionary BUT extremely funny anecdote which included the names of Walter Matthau and Yvonne De Carlo...it's also on YouTube if you're not familiar with it)

Some people just don't take to interviews naturally. My dad also interviewed Paul Newman and he said something funny before the interview started which I'll paraphrase. Newman essentially said I'll be happy to do the interview but it's not going to turn out very well. My dad asked him why and he said, I'm a very matter of fact person, I can't give you a lot of insight into what I do. And he was right. Lots of "that was fun" and "he/she is a good actor" but not much more. Still a great actor of course.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings