Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Hollywood Jobs

EugeniaH

Today is Labor Day, and suddenly it occurs to me that we haven't had a thread (recently, anyway!) on occupations in classic film.

This thread can take any direction... For example, is there a 'dream job' in the movies that you wish you could have? I don't mean director or script writer - I mean a job that a movie character has that you wish could be yours. That's just one idea. Any idea you have on a movie character's occupation.

You could compare your present (or past) job with a movie character's occupation. How realistically is it shown in the movie? For example, I used to be a secretary, but I never needed to take shorthand, run personal errands for my boss, or (more's the pity) got to sass her back and get away with it. :)

I'm thinking about the people working at special effects department when dealing with science fiction.

Ever seen the movie "Stealth" (2005), it was so realistic, one of the photos was mistaken for an actual experimental aircraft.

They must love their job, lol.

800px-ASW_Fake_FA37_1.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Sep 2, 2013 6:21 PM

Comparisons? OK.

I'm Polish, but NEVER knew ANY other Poles like the ones seen in CALLING NORTHSIDE 777.

I worked in an auto plant, but never saw them even CONSIDERED in most movies. And most movie "factory workers" are displayed as beer guzzling, grammar challenged, wife beating lugs.

I was( and essentially still AM) a "hippie", but NEVER wore "Granny" glasses, knee mocasins, fringed vests or a constant headband.

I live in the "suburbs", but never went to "the office", played bridge or wife swapped( DANG!) Never spoiled my kids and gave them everything they wanted.

Sepiatone

Sepiatone, you didn't work with *Gung Ho* Michael Keaton did you? And there was that Richard Pryor movie *Blue Collar* . And who can forget the opening of *Christine* ? I worked in a steel mill inspecting finished product. So being a butler to Carole Lombard would be a big step up for me.

Edited by: mrroberts on Sep 3, 2013 7:20 PM

I'd sure like to know how this rumor that "Ozzie Nelson didn't have a job" got started. Of COURSE Ozzie had a job!

(...he ran the Dagwood Bumstead School of Fatherhood out of his basement office located at 1822 Camino Palmero St. Los Angeles, CA 90046)

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1822-Camino-Palmero-St-Los-Angeles-CA-90046/20803464_zpid/#map=mapType%3DBEV%26ori%3DWest

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings