Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Walk with Love and Death: John Huston's oddest film?

Swithin

I've just watched *A Walk with Love and Death* (1969), which was on FMC a few days ago. I had never heard of it, but since I think Huston's greatest work is his later work (particularly Wise Blood and The Dead), I watched it.

What a strange movie! Kind of a bizarre medieval road movie, with a lot of nasty people along the way, and murky politics. The young leads are played by an 18-year old Anjelica Huston and Assaf Dayan, the son of Moshe. It takes place in 14th century France,

during the 100 years war. Excellent music by Georges Delarue, using medieval themes.

Yes, it is an odd film. But, to me, *Wise Blood* is somewhat more odd, and a favorite of mine. I think Huston made many great films, from *The Maltese Falcon*, to *Prizzi's Honor*. Much as I like Huston, I've tried to watch *The Dead* several times, and can't get through it, even though I know many consider it a great film.

*Wise Blood* is one of my favorites, I think it is odd -- and great. I've just been reading the stories of Flannery O'Connor -- her work is odd, so it isn't surprising that a film based on it would be. But although A Walk with Love and Death is strange, I would not call it great!

Oh, *The Dead* ! I would say is on my top ten list, it is IMHO as perfect as a film can be. It's very much in the style of John Ford, I think. That pan around the house when Aunt Julia is singing is pure Ford. (In fact, the opening of Wise Blood is also Fordian -- compare to the opening of The Grapes of Wrath. )

And although I love the period, the actors, etc., I'm not a big fan of The Maltese Falcon.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings