Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cagney, Canada and Captain of the Clouds

jimred99

Tomorrow night CAPTAIN OF THE CLOUDS is on TCM. If some people from Canada happen to watch it, I would love to receive a post from you. What you thought of movie ect..Twinkee, I would love your input here. I've seen the movie a few times, I have the DVD. I love it and love the scenery and the fact that James Cagney, Tobias and Alan Hale are in it. There are many other good actors you will recognize in this movie. And it's nice that War Hero Billy Bishop is shown at a Presenting of Wings Ceremony. Also, I know when Cagney made color films they tried to make his hair look more blond or brown. Stupid. They just should have left it the nice red that it was. Also, Cagney had dark blue eyes which you might notice in some scenes.

I always will watch Captains of the Clouds whenever it is shown because of Cagney's almost patented smartassy-ness. He really needles those other guys. He's a terrific pilot but his smartassy-ness proves to be his ultimate undoing. After he gets kicked out of the RCAF he and Tiny chill out back at the diner and decide to have some fun buzzing Billy Bishop and Tiny blacks out and it's curtains for some comedy relief. They should have just stayed at the diner singing bless 'em all and sat out the rest of the war in one piece. What dopes. :) Instead Cag ultimately winds up doing an airborne suicide run against some lone cruddy kraut in a messerschmidt. Ya know, I've always thought that lone kraut pilot in the messerschmidt looked like a young E.G. Marshall. :)

Gee, thanks for the "Spoiler Alert" here, Fly!

(...though at least I suppose as I watch the ending tomorrow, I'll now have at least SOMETHIN' to look forward to anyway: If that German pilot actually DOES look like E.G. Marshall...don't worry, I'll let cha know if I agree with ya on that or not!) ;)

LOL

I am Very much looking forward to watching James Cagney in CAPTAINS OF THE CLOUDS (1942) tonight at 8PM in particular, since I have never seen this movie before.

It is my understanding that this is his first colour film. Given that, it was also filmed in beautiful, scenic North Bay, Canada and is based on the RCAF (Royal Canada Air Force). Apparently, many men joined the RCAF after watching this movie. Flying ace Billy Bishop is also in the movie.

As one can imagine, this was a Huge deal when Gagney and his crew went up to North Bay to film this movie, certainly back in 1942 ! To this day, there is a Museum in the Town with many artifacts and photos of Cagney and the making of CAPTAINS OF THE CLOUDS !

Twink

Ya know, come to think of it here MR.R, our boy Fly here HAS always seemed to have some kinda Leo Gorcey thing goin' on around here, huh!

(...except I don't ever recall him referring to that Jimmy Doolittle raid movie as "Toidy Seconds Over Tokyo"! or that postwar Carol Reed movie as "The Toid Man"!)

During the ceremonies when Billy Bishop gave his speech it was mentioned about the recruits coming from all over the world, the different British commonwealth nations, the U.S. and other countries. Canada was a safe place to train, even many Brits came over for training. Pilots from other European nations that were occupied by the Nazis came to Canada. A lot of the aircraft used were from the U.S. through the Lend Lease agreement. Some pilots actually joined the RCAF, others joined up with RAF units in Britain. Of course eventually they all became part of the air defense of Britain. And then the Americans joined in the fight too. It was a real team effort. --- The military air museum in Hamilton, Ontario has a lot to see. The museum in Trenton, Ontario is also very impressive. They had (I guess its still there) a neat exhibit about the real life WW2 "Great Escape" , air men escaping the German POW camp.

Edited by: mrroberts on Sep 4, 2013 11:48 PM

It was really interesting to finally see the Real Billy Bishop and especially watching him peform the ceremonies. He did mention recruits from Texas.

I have been to the Military Air Museum in Hamilton, Ontario which houses a lot of planes from the war. It is located off the QE and is about an hours drive North of Niagara Falls, well worth checking out.

Over all, I was fascinated by the movie and I thought Cagney gave an outstanding performance.To see this movie in colour added so much to the realizm as we are always used to seeing war movies in B&W.

In the end, when he flew into the enemy's plane, it just gave me chills as it happened quite unexpectantly.

Twink

I don't know about anything close to NYC. The aircraft carrier U.S.S Intrepid is right on the Hudson (I don't know what WW2 aircraft they have there, that ship has a long service record WW2 to the late 60's) Every summer (first weekend in June) the Mid- Atlantic Air Museum in Reading , Pa has a WW2 weekend. Its a terrific event, reenactors, military equipment, and of course lots of planes, all flying around. You can get a ride in a plane like a B 25 Mitchell or a B 17. The last few years we had the only flying B 29 come in for the show. Our Canadian friends from the Hamilton museum brought down a Lancaster bomber a few years ago. The best thing of all is that there are a number of WW2 vets who come and give little talks. And we all know, these guys ain't going to be with us much longer.

This was the first time I saw James Cagney in a colour movie and what impressed me the most was to see his red hair and of course those piercing blue eyes! :)

As I mentioned before, I was so shocked to see Cagney fly into the enemy's plane in Captain Of The Clouds. Not only was I not expecting that but I have never known of Cagney to die in a movie.

Cartainly, the colour was beautiful and some of the scenery breathtaking. It is always nice to see parts of Canada in a major motion picture and to have Cagney star in it as well is certainly a bonus! :)

Twink

*twinkeee said:*

*Not only was I not expecting that but I have never known of Cagney to die in a movie.*

Whew, you have a lot of catching up to do. I won't say which ones, but of the first six Cagney films that I ever saw, he only lived in one of them.