Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mirage?

KonaRose

KonaRose, I don't believe *Mirage* has ever been shown on TCM. It's a well-made thriller with a strong cast. I hope that TCM can arrange to show it. It would also be a great choice for the TCM Film Festival, as Diane Baker is a good friend of Robert Osborne. When she attended the festival a couple of years ago, she seemed to be in excellent health.

*Mirage* is available (or it used to be, anyway) in a package of Gregory Peck films if you'd like your own copy.

• Like 1

I do too. Perhaps, they were able to squeeze a showing or two out of Universal when Peck was star of the month or something like that. Even when TCM is able to get films from Universal, it doesn't seem like they have them for as long or shown as often as films from other studios. I've heard that studio was pretty hard to deal with.

I knew I wasnt seeing things! It hasnt been recently. And I know it couldnt have been on another network. It's a shame so many Universal/Paramount films remain out of the public view (older films) You'd think they'd want to make some money out of them.......

Yeah, you'd think they'd want to make money from their film library.Nobody can figure out what's going on at Universal. Without even counting Universal's own films, the several hundred pre-'48 Paramount films they own is a goldmine just waiting to be tapped. You'd think if nothing else they'd want to do a "DVD on demand" kind of release like Warner Bros. has been so successful doing.

• 3 weeks later...

MIRAGE is a favorite of mine and I'd seen MISTER BUDDWING within a few years of that. For a couple of decades, I was confused by the two - square-jawed, dark haired leading actors and, well, I just ... uh ... forgot which was which.

Then there's 36 HOURS with one of those square-jawed chaps, too. Quite a treat for amnesia film fans, and then Greg wasn't spared a two-fer amnesia episode but doing SPELLBOUND.

Do they come in Three's, or only Two's?

Or, dial back even further and pull up John Hodiak's SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT (1946) and pit him against John Payne's THE CROOKED WAY (1949). It's no wonder John took up driving a flower delivery truck in Kansas City!

*Mirage* is a far, far superior film to *Mr. Buddwing* imo. I'd say Buddwing was a silly film, and I read in Garner's autobiography that it was his least favorite film and he had no idea what the film was about. He regretted making the film.

I have 3 video copies of *Mirage* . The last one I taped was within the last year or 2. It was shown on the Retroplex movie station that I believe is part of Encore. It was even shown again on On Demand. Next time I notice it's on I'll post that info.