Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Change in Format

MicheleBon

In just reading through the September Now Playing Guide I am a little worried that TCM may go the way of AMC and start showing newer films and adding commercials. I hope I am wrong because this is my favorite station because of the old films!!! Whenever we change our cable selection I always make sure we keep TCM!! Please tell me you are not planning on showing less old films and more newer ones!!!

You're wrong.

Almost any article you can find about TCM always indicates they have no plans to do anything other than what they do now.

It will be okay.

(You can also search this board and find endless worries such as yours and all show there is to be no change.)

let me explain :

when TCM began back in the 90s, they showed mostly films from the 30's - 50's mainly. Then, in the 2000's , it became films from 30's - early 70's.

Now, it's 30's - early 80's.

TCM has changed over the years, including younger films. It's changed slightly. But not dramatically. Yeah , the old backgrounds are gone and all that. Old films have become advertizing. (the DVDs and other merchandise).

TCM will not have commercials for now. As for the future , I can't tell. Everything comes to an end sometime.

In my heart , I'll always love the old TCM. You're right about the format. It's changed, but not a lot. The majority of movies shown are from the 'golden age'.

Welcome to the board by the way.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Sep 6, 2013 1:30 PM

It doesn't matter how many times TCM says it, some people just won't believe them. TCM is not going to go the route of AMC ,if they were, it would have been done long before now. TCM is a success and stands alone in what it's been doing so well for almost 20 years. Doing anything else would just make them another one of the pack.

Sure, they've expanded the range of films they show, but thank goodness they have. To keep vibrant and growing (which keeps the commercials away) TCM has to constantly grow its audience and that does mean adding some more titles that newer viewers can relate to. You snare them with what they're familiar with and maybe they'll also discover the old classics and stick around.

I think TCM has been very judicious in scheduling newer films, usually as part of a theme or a special event. So don't worry, it's a pretty safe bet that we aren't going see Adam Sandler as Star of the Month anytime soon.

I believe that many people fail to recognize that the family of 'Turner' channels has an AMC-like channel. It is TNT. I do not know if they ever aired movies complete and with no commercial interruptions but I have read that they pioneered many of the features which AMC has copied.

I believe that the corporation would not change TCM's successful format to one which would be in direct competition with one of their existing channels.

I remember when TNT first started and it showed movies, classics included uncut but with "limited commercial interruptions" which was maybe only three times in a movie. A lot of people, including me, thought that was great when compared to what other channels were doing, but that was before we had TCM and got spoiled.

As TNT became popular with viewers, it also become popular with sponsors and the number of commercial breaks did increased. Of course that may also have been because Turner gave viewers another outlet for uncut and and commercial-free movies.

What people don't think about is that TCM is a business and part of a large media conglomerate and, as such, has to perform and meet the financial expectations of its corporate bosses. As long as what TCM is doing allows it to meet those expectations it should be just fine.

As time progresses, the scope of what is considered a classic expands to include more recent films. In the 1960s, would movies such as ON THE WATERFRONT, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE and SOME LIKE IT HOT (released in the 1950s) have been "old enough" to be considered "classics"?

I like that TCM shows films from so many different eras. Last night it was interesting to see METROPOLIS (1927) and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (1981) aired within a few hours of each other.

I would be unhappy, however, if the movies were ever interupted by commercials. I like having the TCM Collection DVDs promoted BETWEEN the films, but I sincerely hope that TCM will always air their movies "uncut and commercial free."

>MicheleBon said: In just reading through the September Now Playing Guide I am a little worried that TCM may go the way of AMC and start showing newer films..

I was surprised to see Minority Report (2002) on tonight's menu. No objection on my part, but I have noticed an increase in newer films lately.

I've come to the realization all films will eventually become classic, though not classics. As has been pointed out elsewhere, many of what we deem classics were just so-so in their own day. Some 50 years from now, our children will be taking our places, reliving Top Gun, Vacation, The Blues Brothers, The Jerk, Always, The Sixth Sense, and ALL of the Die Hard films, et-cetera, et-cetera, et-cetera :)