Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Title Before I Lose My Mind

On TCM in the past year I saw a film noir about a police chief who is obsessed with a woman and kills her when she starts a relationship with a man, then pins the murder on the male suitor. The man who played the police chief had a distinctive, hulking figure and an almost Peter Lorre-like voice. He made a handful of movies and dies young, in mid-life, but would have had a long and distinctive career. CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THE TITLE OF THIS? Thank you.

This sounds like the 1941 film *I Wake Up Screaming* and the actor was Laird Cregar. But you have the storyline somewhat twisted (if this is the film you mean). Cregar plays a detective who investigates a murder case. The victim is a girl he secretly admired from a far. The detective finds out who the real murderer is but he chooses to try to frame another guy who was a boyfriend of the dead girl. In other words the detective was insanely jealous of this other man and wants him to pay for the crime. This film story was remade in 1953 and called *Vicki* .