Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you had watched WAY DOWN EAST last night, I think you might have a different take on Silents !

Tonight, James Cagney's CAPTAIN OF THE CLOUDS is being shown at 8PM.

If that is not to your liking either, then perhaps it is time to do us all a favour and...... 'Stop Crying' !

Twink :)

Twinkee,

Leo claims to be a Classic Movie fan, but I haven't figured out yet just what the hell that he likes? All he does is put down Silent's Pre-codes, and even post pre-code 1930's films. If he had watched THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE and was not profoundly moved by it, then I give up. Same goes for THE WIND.

I decided that Leo posts in all caps for the same reason some people read the "large print" editions of "Reader's Digest". So he can SEE what he's TYPING. And that brings me to why he dislikes what's showing on TCM. He CAN'T SEE the same movies WE do! So he thinks he's seeing something ELSE!

Sepiatone

please!

I love the silents. I've waited a million years to see "Way Down East" which is one of the few desired films I had never seen in its entirety. The incredible ice on the eyelashes scene has haunted me since I saw a clip of it when I was 16 and watching a David Wark tribute. I used to own an 8mm film of "Tolable David" and have to say that Richard Barthelmess was even more handsome adn touching in WDE than in the former. I congratulate TCM for showing such classic cinema firsts in their entirety and how can one not love anything by Billy Bitzer. No other network would even think of showing something like the amazing Nazimova in "Salome" and it is thrilling to be a viewer of such fare!

The best thing about TCM is not that they "only show what interests ME", but that they show a variety of "classic" films many of which we would never see anywhere else. So when they show a movie that doesn't appeal to me, I find something else to do, or watch like a rerun of "Adam-12".

mNot a regular poster on the forums, but the desire to contribute becomes less & less on my part because of these kind of (insane) threads.

In the vast Universe of movie channels... TCM, is the one I love the most, and I do find some of the posters' demands to cater to their "needs" being downright rude and condescending.

TCM is the only channel which plays the movies, we lovers of classic films would like to see. I cannot believe there are some malcontents complaining about their programming schedule.

I am not one to voice my opinion on negativity, but this time, I felt compelled to do so.

Edited by: josephherndz on Sep 8, 2013 6:31 PM

Edited by: josephherndz on Sep 8, 2013 6:40 PM

Some of us will complain from time to time about too much of this or not enough of that, but with the exception of a tiny handful of forever kvetching malcontents, the vast majority of us complainers fully appreciate what TCM is offering, and we re-state that appreciation often.

Josephherndz, I understand your frustrations here, this whining goes on all of the time, I have come to disregard most of it. Sometimes I think some people just want to get a rise out of others. Sometimes I don't think those posters are that serious, or they just don't know how else to make their point. Don't let them lower the bar for the rest of us. If you have real issues to bring up, or just want to start conversation, please feel free to do so. I expect TCM to bring us the widest variety of programming, much of which we would ever have little chance of viewing elsewhere. I don't expect them to program for me 24/7 and am actually pleased to see them show some films that I know others are eager to see. If I get 2 or 3 films a day that I like, I'm happy. How much can anyone watch in a day anyway?