Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WAY DOWN EAST (1920) Tonight, Not shown in many years!

gagman66

This movie last aired on TCM about 2003 or so. Broadcast with the scaled down studio recording of Hugo Reisenfeld's score prepared for the 1928 re-issue, recorded as a Movie-tone track. The raging Ice Flood sequence is still one of the most amazing pieces of film making every produced. Incredible that Lillian Gish was not severely injured. But she did experience numbness in her hand for years afterward from the icy cold waters. It will be interesting to see what version of WDE, and for that matter INTOLERANCE airs this evening.

Hey Twinkeee, I'm glad you were able to stay awake! Yes, it was a long film. I think several of Griffith's films are a little too long.

I was able to stay awake too. That would have made a good 1 hour and 20 minute film.

I sure hated that bad guy. I wanted to see someone shoot him and throw him in the river.

Gish was always so good as a sweet innocent girl. She played that same type of role in Duel in the Sun (1946), and she became famous for some of her realistic death scenes.

OMG babes'....that was So 'STAYNE' AWAKE' for!!

I Loved Loved It!! My Second Silent Ever and now I am 'hooked'!

I don't think they would have been able to get everything in it had it been shorter, the fact that it Was that long made it as interesting as it was.

Yes, I was just waiting And itching for that Cad to get gaught, took long enough !

You were right about the Ice Scene, (you always are :), that alone was worth stayne' up for! It just amazed me How they were able to film those ice floes back then. R. O. did mention at the end of the movie how they did it, just extraordinary.

What I did take away from watching this Silent is, How it makes you pay attention because if you miss anything, well you just become lost!

Twink :)

>What I did take away from watching this Silent is, How it makes you pay attention because if you miss anything, well you just become lost!

LOL, that's the way I am about French films with English subtitles.

If I miss one title or if I don't read them fast enough, I get lost. But if I pay attention to all the subtitles, I can't concentrate on the image in the film.

For example, I saw The Passenger (1975) on Cinemoi several months ago, and I had to watch it about 5 times before I began to get a little of it. It is a very complicated film.

Toward the end there is a famous long scene in which a lot of things take place, and a lot of people talk. The camera looks out a window of a hotel room and we see people talking outside, but things are also happening inside the room, which we can barely see reflected in the inside glass of the window.

A killer comes into the room but we can barely see his reflection in window glass, so I missed that the first two times I saw the film because I was busy reading the subtitles, and I didn't see his faint image in the glass. Finally, the third time I saw the film I saw the image, but then I missed reading the subtitles and I didn't remember what people were saying. :)

That's too much like "school" and "study" and "tests". So I get an F for myself for watching this film. :)

Oh, that is funny ! :)

However, you are too hard on yourself...it is not just movies with subtitles where one can get lost,.. happens just as easily with regular movies, trust me !

I can certainly understand if a movie like The Passenger, is complicated to Begin with Plus Subtitles, that would present complications for anyone!

Twink :)

Even though Robert Osborne's introduction seemed to indicate that TCM would be showing the recent Museum Of Modern Art Restoration, this was the same version from a beat up old print that TCM used to show 10 or 11 years ago. What's more it looked like an old VHS, by comparison to the Kino Blu-ray release. Or even the Image Entertainment DVD.

Likewise, INTOLERANCE is the same version that TCM has been running as well. Though Cohen indicated that they would be picking up the new version at some point with Carl Davis score from the Mid- 80's.

Twinkee,

Yes the Ice Flow sequence is astonishing. No special effects, it is all real! Astounding that anyone survived! Talk about dangerous!

Twinkee,

The good thing is that even in a sub-par print transfer, you were still able to enjoy the film. So that's wonderful. The original Camera Negative to this movie was lost in a Vault Fire in 1937. So, it will never look as good as it once did, but there are much better archival materials out there. Even though the movie isn't complete. There are still missing scenes, that are identified in the Blu-ray. So it has never been restored to full-length, because some of the footage no longer exists.

Yes, Kino released a restored version on Blu-ray in the fall of 2008. Or maybe it was 2009? However, they replaced the Hugo Risenfeld Movie-tone track with a new score of Vintage Photo-play music, performed by Rodney Sauer and The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra. That is version that I expected to see last night. Especially given that it had been so long since the film was last shown on TCM.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings