Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The New Redesign and Content

Hi all, please be indulgent as this is my first post to the TCM site. I am troubled [not enough to be suicidal but it does upset my movie trivia sensibilities!] by things I've noticed in the recent September and just arrived November 2013 "Now Playing" Guides by TCM. In the September issue on Page 44, we see a photo of a woman and next to it the typical TCM seemingly movie connection, which states "Rich and Strange" [1931]. I may be wrong but this lovely lady appears to be Billie Dove and I had not thought she was anywhere in that movie, but tell me if she is please! Next, I just received my new October schedule in the mail and on Page 42 we see a picture of the gorgeous Gloria Grahame with Bogie, yet the caption to the right says "The Harder They Fall" 1956. Again, this being the famous scene from IALP, I doubt it was again shown in the boxing flick. I want my captions to be correct and find it insulting to our erstwhile stars to be miscaptioned when they worked so hard to maintain our interest. I could understand perhaps mistaking Clem Bevans for James Woods but TCM needs to hire someone old enough or an older film savant so these very important issues are not a constant. I would not like to see more of such pressing problems in future schedules. And lastly, though the new format is fab, I noticed that they are listing the Shorts in the "Movies A to Z" format, but not listing the actual time of the showings as in the one for "The Chevy That Wanted to be a Cadillac" on 09/14. I would be willing to lose sleep to watch a Pete Smith Speciality or Robert Benchley in "How to Sleep" [or whatever it was called] but I can't stay glued to TCM for 24 hours straight so if you are going to list shorts I feel the exact time showing should also be detailed. Thanks for listening and I look forward to seeing a Harry Langdon day or perhaps a tribute to Jackie Coogan or Charles Middleton in upcoming months!

Also, pardonnez-moi for the lack of clarity due to the parentheses in my post being removed ostensibly, by the site. I shall remember next time to write without them, as it did make my post look a bit confusing. Is there anything else about this site I need to know right now, before I make any more egregious mistakes?

Welcome to the boards cavegirl. Especially since the latest "upgrade", this site does sometimes seem to have a mind of its own so no apology is needed.

However, if you don't mind though, I'll make a suggestion. Please, when you write, use paragraphs. A lot of folks here will simply pass over a post that's just one large block of words, either because it's hard for them to read it or they think it's just somebody rambling on.

You sound like you're a person with interesting ideas and it would be a shame if your message doesn't get read.

Uh, hello darling!

That was a paragraph but I shall try to be less lengthy in content next time.

Thanks for the sage advice...note how I have immediately acquiesced and broken this down into three distinct paragraphs?

Merci and a bientot!

Edited by: CaveGirl on Sep 5, 2013 4:02 PM

Thanks, markbeckuaf!

I've often wondered about the controversy surrounding the artistic merits of Langdon. Did his career suffer because of his own proclivities or is it true that his image was partially ruined by the statements of Frank Capra?

What counts would be what's on film, which is why a reairing of his oeuvre would be in order methinks, and no I'm not related to him but I do find his stuff kind of fascinating.

Hey, CaveGirl'

Welcome, and I hope you stick around.

I'm all for anyone who uses words like "egregious", "acquiesce", and "proclivities".

Can't comment much on the "Now Playing" guide, since I don't get it, but I sympathize with your concerns regarding accuracy.

I have over 100 old issues of Now Playing. Each change I noticed but I like making the stars of the movie a different color as they have now. I don't know much about Billie Dove but I do think it is important to have all of the information correct. I went on the January cruise and had Ben sign the front of the Casablanca Now Playing cover. My personal opinion is that every TCM fan should get the magazine.

*skimpole said:*

*What is up with the forums so that each entry in General Discussions has the same time?*

That was part of the recent "upgrade" that brought us turquoise in exchange for losing a few features we used to have.

> CaveGirl wrote:

> Also, pardonnez-moi for the lack of clarity due to the parentheses in my post being removed ostensibly, by the site.

That type of thing has been known to happen to various characters when the message is composed using a different program and then copy-and-pasted into the text window here. I have been told it is due to some word processors using special characters for some punctuation marks rather than adhering to the ASCII standard. Microsoft products are often the worst offenders.

I have found that it helps to retain characters to paste the message first into Notepad and then copy and paste it from there to here. It appears that Notepad will recognize the majority of such characters but will incorporate them as standard code.