Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hypnotoad

Escape From New York over Brazil?

I'm pleased with TCM's September Friday nights programming. However, I've got to question the decision to premiere Brazil at 2 am with no scheduled rebroadcasts while giving the earlier time slot to the much weaker Escape From New York. Both films are worth watching, but in my opinion Brazil is superior in both quality and significance and deserved the earlier slot.

I'm looking forward to the day when the whole of a day's, week's month's or year's programing can be downloaded and it's schedule rearanged to suit our individual viewing pleasures. I believe it's possible today, but it's not an offered service. TiVo or other similar devices may be the closest we get as a service. This would allow us to watch the 1000 films we like and cycle through BluRays and DVDs in place of the 3000 we don't care for.

Where would that leave TV or Cable or streaming services.. ? Sponsors? I guess we'd wind up with even more ads on our DVD's, then we'd be in worse shape than pre-cable with TV ads. We'll wind up seeing ads in places we never could conceive.

Otherwise.. my first thought was like yours; Brazil should have been in the earlier slot (even though I fell off as the planes were swarming over in Things to Come).

Always nice when TCM schedules a good movie for a late friday nite like Escape from New York. Much, much better than anything being made today by the likes of Tarantino. John Carpenter always had style despite a propensity for violence. Kurt Russell based his Snake Plissken persona on Clint Eastwood. Two things, the guy who shows up after Van Cleef and company land at the af1 crash scene, you know, the guy with the elongated hairdew who hisses and laughs in rapid succession. Is he acting or is he really spaced out on something? You tell me. 2nd thing, I've always felt that Plissken is spelled wrong. It's probably a polish surname so it imo should merely be spelled Pliskin. :)

If it had ANY connection to Polish, Pliskin would obviously be the shortened version. Like my brother-in-law, whose last name is Bora, a name shortened from Borevkowski. Anyway, Plissken or Pliskin makes no difference. No reason it shouldn't have been spelled the way it was. In real life, both would be possible, so who are YOU to say one was "mispelled"?

There are two guys I know...one named GEOFFERY, and the other named JEFFERY.

Would you say one or the other is mispelled?

Sepiatone

It would be better if they headed to Brooklyn or Queens, but we'd

be happy to supply them with individual concrete blocks and a

dip in the Passaic. :)

Gaol is a British alternative word for jail.

My first inclination would be to spell it *Pliskin* is all I am saying. Take the second syllable. Ken is a boys name and it is not pronounced Kin so I would say my spelling of the name is more correct. :) GEOFF is the brit way and JEFF is more ours.,,like actor Geoffrey Lewis. :)

>darkblue said: I've seen gaol used in Canada as well.

The word came into English in two forms, jaiole from Old French and gayole from Anglo-Norman French gaole (surviving in the spelling gaol ), originally pronounced with a hard g , as in gale.

And the ugliest tomatoes come from Florida :)

It seems to be used in a lot of countries that had a strong British

influence--Canada, Australia, Ireland. Apparently it's more common

now in certain of those countries than others, for whatever reason.