Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Giant" Essentials

Brandenot

I was appalled by Robert Osbourne's assertion that Grace Kelly would have been a better Leslie Benedict then Elizabeth Taylor. This comes from left field, and the surprise from Drew Barrymore is palpable. To think I patiently waited to the end of the film with expectations of Robert and Drew discussing the feminist perspective of Elizabeth Taylor's severely under appreciated, spot-on performance- which had been touted by TCM teaser adds the previous week as such, by noted film historians. I'm embarrassed that I aggressively marketed for TCM on my Facebook page in such eager anticipation of what I thought was a "Modern" re-assessment of this film, especially being a Texan myself. I still cannot fathom Grace Kelly as Leslie. Really? Why perpetuate the disrespect of Elizabeth Taylor's performance by dragging Grace Kelly into the mix? I'm very angry.

Although I was unable to watch GIANT tonight, I have seen the movie in the past. I've always felt Elizabeth Taylor's performance was spot on and cannot imagine anyone else playing the role, let alone Grace Kelly! What was Robert O. thinking?

Grace Kelly is more the cool, rich blonde type as in HIGH SOCIETY and would have seemed out of place in Giant ! Unlike Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor is earthy and loves a fight.

Twink

PS I do not blame you for being upset.

While I must agree with you about the rather strange bent in topic that Bob brought up in his closing remarks about "Grace Kelly possibly being a better choice than Liz in that role", as I would say his contention that a more contrasting high-bred Philly filly and known as "The Ice Princess" being cast in that role would have somehow made the film "better" because of that contrast, was in my view ALSO not only a rather strange concept to consider but a very questionable call in and of itself....I ALSO have to say I think your use of the word "appalled" to describe your feelings regarding this might have been a little over the top.

(...but then again, I think many of us already know how some of you Texans down there can get all riled up at the drop of a Stetson hat whenever one of your cherished institutions are called into question!) ;)

Btw...welcome to the boards!

Robert's reasoning was that Grace would have been more "pristine" and "Bostonian/Philadelphian". Elizabeth Taylor was more of the "tomboy". I love Grace Kelly, but I can't help but be offended. When I watched "Giant" tonight I was impressed with all of Elizabeth's memorable scenes, yes...but I think I was more impressed with how supportive and how she "under-acted" against James Dean and Rock Hudson. She was perfect as Leslie

Although many Texans, especially those from Marfa, think Elizabeth Taylor was perfect in "Giant", that is not why I indicated I was a native Texan. I simply adore Elizabeth Taylor... but I can even

distance myself from my love for her when I watch "Giant". Maybe because of her beauty, Elizabeth has been dismissed all of these years, but her role as Leslie is a feminist role. I will reiterate- TCM ran very informative "teasers" with notable female film historians, as well as actress Lee Grant, reflecting on the importance of her characterization. So, for the climax of "Essentials" to be a bizarre contrast with "pristine" Grace Kelly...it's not a "Texas thing" it's a "Feminist thing". Very off-color remarks for a normally sensitive, on-point host.

Wait?! I would've thought the term "Texan Feminist" was an oxymoron!!!

LOL

(...JUS' kiddin' my dear...JUS' kiddin') ;)

And yes, actually I know what you're talkin' about here, as I too have seen those "teasers" for this movie that TCM has shown recently, and thus it probably would have been nice for Bob and that Valley Girl he discusses these movie with to touch upon that topic.

Oh, I kid Drew, mostly because her speech pattern IS that of a freakin' Valley Girl, BUT I actually think she's intelligent enough to understand what Bob is sayin' in this series.

(...though then again, I ALSO probably mistakenly think most of the people know what I REALLY mean whenever I post MY stuff around HERE, so what do I know, EH???!!!)

LOL

You would be amazed at how "feminist" Texas can be... my mentor was Governor Ann Richards, a strong progressive Democrat who preceded George W. Bush. So don't start throwing stones at Texas, my friend. Elizabeth Taylor's characterization of Leslie was a touchstone for many people in Texas, as well as our nation in the 1950s.

Perhaps I am on the offensive, but it is pure Texan passion lol. However, Edna Ferber set the wheels in motion with her novel, and I feel Elizabeth interpreted that infamous scene, in which the men segregated themselves from the women with such panache and keen awareness of the feminist cause- not just in my home state of Texas, but OUR country...

"Men stuff??!! Lord have mercy!! Set up my spinning wheel, girls! I'll join the harem section in a minute!"

I have to admit I missed the opening discussion(before the film) with Bob and Drew, and so I take it you're saying here that they didn't touch upon this aspect of the film even in that segment of the program?

If that's the case, then I do have to admit I find this rather strange, especially taking into account that teaser with Lee Grant and the others TCM has been showing about this film for the past two weeks.

(...saaaay, you don't suppose Rick Perry found out they were gonna talk about that and paid off Bob to not go there, do YA?!) ;)

LOL

Actually, the opening commentary between Robert and Drew was surprisingly trite. There was no mention of any feminist perspective, as aforementioned with the teaser shorts. The only indication that captured my interest was Robert's promise to Drew to discuss Elizabeth Taylor's role in further detail at the end of the film. Based on the teaser adds, I thought for sure he was going to touch on these themes. So, yes... I found the "pristine" comment apalling.

I doubt Robert is contact with Governor Perry. What a boring, predictable barb directed towards Texas. You obviously ignored my previous post about Ann Richards.

>I doubt Robert is contact with Governor Perry. What a boring, predictable barb directed towards Texas. You obviously ignored my previous post about Ann Richards.

Now now, my dear. Your reaction to my "Perry" reference was EXACTLY what I meant when I told Twinkeee down there THIS....

"(...though then again. I ALSO probably mistakenly think most of the people know what I REALLY mean whenever I post MY stuff around HERE, so what do I know, EH???!!!)"

....'cause I would have thought after reading your earlier reply about Ann Richards and your views, that of ALL people down there in your state, YOU would've thought that "Perry" comment of mine FUNNY, and realized that it WASN'T some freakin' cheap shot at ALL of your state, but just at HIM !

(...and so now PLEASE don't make me place YOU on my "That Person Is A Little Slow On The Ol' Uptake" List so soon after you've just GOT here, OKAY?!...'cause that list o' mine is ALREADY way too long as it IS!!!) ;)

LOL

And yet, after all THAT, I'll say THIS...

IF Grace Kelly had been given the role INSTEAD of Liz, it would be the only version we'd be familiar with, and many would claim they couldn't imagine ANYONE ELSE playing that part!

And for MY money, newcomer, the best thing to come out of Texas, besides my WIFE, is MOLLY IVANS!

And perhaps that music known as "Texas Swing".

Sepiatone

>IF Grace Kelly had been given the role INSTEAD of Liz, it would be the only version we'd be familiar with, and many would claim they couldn't imagine ANYONE ELSE playing that part!

Ha, ha, ha! I think you are absolutely right. That seems to be an odd phenomenon about films in general. And if Kelly had always been in the movie, with no Liz, and if someone suddenly suggested that Liz would have been better, then they would be hooted down as being "foolish and silly". :)

It's like trying to suggest a replacement for Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire, or Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind, or Gretta Garbo in Grand Hotel. IMMM-POSSIBLE! :)

Dargo2, your comment about Rick Perry was funny, I was just in the mood to be catty. :) Down here, we call him Governor Good Hair.

Back to the point of this thread- I suppose it really comes down to history, as someone else mentioned. Many of us cannot imagine anyone else in the role of Leslie but Elizabeth, simply because it is an iconic role. Additionally, for me, I am a great fan of Elizabeth Taylor, and probably took greater offense than someone indifferent to her performance.

Grace Kelly's career ended too abruptly... I've always thought how fascinating it would have been if she had gone through with her comeback film for Hitchcock with "Marnie". I know Hitch was very disappointed when Princess Grace ultimately passed on the role.

Yeah, I'm still tryin' to wrap my head around this whole Grace Kelly thing that Bob introduced into that discussion. Other than some idea that it might have made the contrasting viewpoints more clearly presented between the stereotypical Eastern-bred and possibly more sophisticated and modern-thinking young lady placed into a more provincial environment...I just don't see the reason for it.

And after some thought here, I think the only other actress I could see playing that part would've been Maureen O'Hara, who very often DID play the part of a sophisticated but tough as nails woman who would find herself in that sort of environment.

(...though Maureen might have been just a touch long-in-the-tooth to play that part in '55)

Yes, if she had been a bit younger, Maureen could have done the part justice. I watched "The Foxes of Harrow" a few weeks back, and I was very impressed with her performance. Such an under appreciated actress.

Eleanor Parker might could have handled the role and fit the bill. I thought she was great in another Texas drama, "Home From the Hill" opposite Robert Mitchum. George Peppard was excellent in this film also..

Yeah, maybe it was possibly my recent viewing of "The Foxes of Harrow" too that brought Maureen into my thoughts for this role.

I had never caught that film before, and was amazed at how well O'Hara AND in fact Rex Harrison basically played a various on the Scarlett and Rhett roles in another "somewhat" famous film.

And I suppose Eleanor Parker might not have been that bad for this role either, except once again as in the case of Grace Kelly, I envision her as maybe a slight too "brittle" for the part. In other words, I see them less able to play the "tomboy" aspect of the part, though they probably could have pulled it off.

Yes, it was my first time to watch "The Foxes of Harrow"... I was mesmerized by the B&W cinematography and by Maureen O'Hara. I was also intrigued by the depiction of the slaves retaining their African customs, especially with the practice of magic (not sure if it could be classified as voodoo). And you're right, Rex Harrison played a very Rhett Butler-ish part. Very interesting movie, indeed, for many reasons.

You may be right about Eleanor Parker, but then again she was always an enigma to me... she never seemed to fit into any specific Hollywood mold. I watched "The Man With the Golden Arm" this past Thursday, and her performance as Sash made me cringe with dislike, but she embodied the part so well, it elicited that emotional response.