Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whatever Happened To....??

cinemanut

The George Cukor directed film starred John Barrymore and Katharine Hepburn in her film debut, A Bill of Divorcement use to show up on TCM quite regularly, at least 2 or 3 times a year. But in the last couple of years I have not seen it on TCM's schedule {or I have been caught napping}. Not on a Hepburn birthday tribute, an-all Barrymore night or an all Cukor afternoon. Does anyone know if a rights problem has suddenly cropped up as it has with Beyond The Forest? Seems like an odd film to go missing as it should be in TCM's "library" {as RO is so fond of saying in those intro's from time to time, though I keep getting reassured by some folks on this message board that the "library" doesn't really exist anymore}, as it was made by RKO, which Turner use to own and, I believe is now in the possession of Warners. Any insight would be helpful.

The Nut

No info on A Bill of Divorcement? How about Ceiling Zero, that 1935 aviation drama with Cagney & O'Brien directed by Howard Hawks? It's another movie that would pop up from time to time, about once a year back in the day, that has completely disappeared. Rights issues? If so, too bad as I really like it as Jimmy & Pat play off each other nicely, per usual.Warners put out a VHS copy waaaay back in the day. What happened to this movie? Of course it's possible I am using the wrong forum for this question and I should use the information, please section but this seems to be the one that gets the most traffic.

Whatever happened to Hell's Angels (WW I), Phantom Lady, Warren William movies, Boston ****, The Whistler series, The Crime Doctor, The Big Parade, the Charlie Chan films, Fog over Frisco, Heat Lightening, Imitation of Life (1934), It's a Gift, Poppy, Judge Priest, The Cuban Love Song (Lupe Valez), Dracula (1931), Downstairs (1932, John Gilbert, Robert Lukas), Broken Lullaby (Nancy Carroll), and many other fine films that TCM used to show?

Here is a clip from an interesting low-budget film that a couple of guys spent years trying to finance and produce. It was finally released in 1965, and TCM used to air it every couple of years. The story is.... what if Germany had invaded England at the beginning of WW II? Well, this is what it would have looked like on the streets of London:

"It Happened Here" :

This is a full-length film and is very interesting and well made. The film duplicated a lot of scenes that were copied after old newsreel scenes of Nazi troops occupying Paris, as it shows German soldiers dating local British girls, and walking around London visiting museums and mixing with the local citizens, much like the real type of scenes from the old Paris wartime newsreels.

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Sep 17, 2013 11:09 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings