Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cary Grant in new Julia Roberts Perfume Commercial???

RMeingast

This is for eagle-eyed message board users...

Julia Roberts stars in a new TV commercial for Lanc?me perfume...

In the commercial, she is helping to hawk Lanc?me's new perfume La vie est belle...

"La vie est belle" is also the French title for the 1946 flick "It's a Wonderful Life" : http://images-02.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/055/773/913_001.jpg?v=2

Now Cary Grant was originally supposed to play the Jimmy Stewart role in the film. But RKO fiddled with the script and then shelved the film while Grant went on to play the angel in "The Bishop's Wife" instead.

So, some say that in this TV commercial, the older guy wearing the glasses is supposed to be Cary Grant. Why Jimmy Stewart isn't in the commercial, I don't know??

But it's French, so maybe they prefer Grant to Stewart??

I have no idea? Grant was a consultant and on the board of directors of Faberg? perfume... But don't know what that has to do with

Lanc?me??

Anyway, view the commercial yerselves and see what you think??

Is the dude wearing glasses, only seen briefly, supposed to be an older Cary Grant?

Granted, it does look like Grant, but think people are reaching to link Grant, "It's a Wonderful Life," "La Vie est Belle," and this TV commercial...

Here's the commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dm6SoWdEDw

I go along with Gemini. Grant always exhuded class and distinction, and that's probably the image they're trying to foreward for this product.

In the past, I've seen commercials for products that had nothing to do with, say, Humphrey Bogart, but used editing trickery to install Bogey's image into the scenes, largely due to the kind of image HE usually brought to the screen being an image they wished to convey in the particular product.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to sell stinkwater. But it seems to be the trend. Just look at some of the chewing gum or cell phone commercials.

Sepiatone

>Is the dude wearing glasses, only seen briefly, supposed to be an older Cary Grant? Granted, it does look like Grant, but think people are reaching to link Grant, "It's a Wonderful Life," "La Vie est Belle," and this TV commercial...

I don't see any resemblance, I just see a guy wearing glasses. I think the most remarkable thing about this commercial is that Julia Roberts is actually starting to look attractive to me as she gets older. Never cared much for her before.

If you're talkin' about the guy with the sunglasses and showing about 2/3 of his face at the :44 second mark of the commercial, then yeah, I'd say there is a strong resemblance between him and Grant.

However, I don't think he is supposed to be him in this commercial, or that there's really any implied connection with the name of the perfume and Cary Grant. I think the idea was just to use some male model who has "that look of sophistication" which Cary always projected, and that it's just a coincidence that the model somewhat resembles Grant.

Let the viewer be the judge...

Just reporting on some chatter. This French dude, for example, wrote about the Cary Grant connection:

"Pour les cin?**** avertis on aper?oit l'acteur Cary Grant qui devait ? l'origine jouer dans le film ?ponyme (1946) du r?alisateur Franck Capra. On lui pr?f?ra James Stewart pour la petite histoire. Voil? pour la minute cin?!"

Anyway, I don't think so either, Dargo 2.

And yes, the dude wearing the glasses. You see him a few times in the commercial...

Maybe it's just a French thing...

BTW, I'm neither on the payroll nor use Lanc?me stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dm6SoWdEDw

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings