Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why More Subtitled Movies?

Just wondering if it's my imagination or what? Seems like we are getting more and more foreign language and subtitled movies lately. I've always love this wonderful network, and I often listen to the movies while doing other things. Enough is enough.

[roll eyes smiley here]

We all know the old cliche, so a big THANKS to the Turner network for trying to please some of the people, some of the time. Short of Bravo and the Independents, you'll find subtitles few and far between. While I'm thinking of it...thanks for the silents, too.

Okay TCM Programmer, did you get that? We have a viewer who says enough is enough with subtitled movies because it wants to do other things and listen to the movies at the same time and it can't do that because, alas, the movies are in foreign languages and therefore subtitled and it can't understand what's being said therefore enough is enough with confounded subtitled movies.

Never mind that the rest of us might actually be watching the movies and enjoying them.

is your imagination!

All these pranksters at TCM are just having some fun with you.

TCM has shown no movies for months with subtitles, of that I am sure. I watch every day as I have no life, and none of those horrid foreign films with subtitles have been shown at all.

You must be pulling in another channel from your cable provider, while you iron and do other things, that are showing all these nasty subtitled foreign films.

I would bet it is AMC or Bravo. You should write to them and tell them if they don't start showing only American films with no subtitles [and none of those subtitled Godfather films either!] that you won't be listening to their channel anymore.

"Enough is enough" and you should put your foot down, or just listen to the radio maybe.

It is stupidity reflected in the comments like the idiot below who likes to "listen" to movies - so please no foreign or silents - that drives me batty and causes a decline in the quality of posts on this website.

Lately it seems like we can go for days without any interesting topics on on the site, unless of course you are one of the 3 people who seem obsessed with Frances Dee and can keep a thread going on minutae about her for months.

I recently took a foreign film class at my college, and learned to love foreign films. I am thankful that TCM shows them, and, next month, Ingrid Bergman is the Star of the Month and they are showing some of her films from Sweden! I can't wait for that!

Really, though, they only usually show one foreign film a week, I believe at 2 am on Friday/Saturday. And that is at 2 AM too! I think they are just fine where they are, and maybe one or two more wouldn't hurt either.

I never realized what I was missing until I got a copy of the short history of film, probably a textbook. I couldn't put it down and now I am an avid foriegn film fanatic. Without subtitles I would not be able to enjoy such a rich variety of films past and current from around the world. I wish tcm would devote as least a day 24 hours to foriegn films with glorious subtitles!

Ihave been known to do the same thing, have the TV on and just listen while I'm busy doing other things. Like you I wasn't too fond of the Mexican Cinema that was done on Thursday evening during the month of May, not because I wanted to do other things but I really didn't want to sit there reading subtitles all evening, but not everything TCM does meets with my approval, as I have said in other post, this is a network for everybody, no matter what your film taste maybe. So when they are airing something I don't particularly like, such as foregin films, silent films, war movies or action pictures I will do something else instead of watching. After all just because I don't like these types of movies doesn't mean that there aren't those out there who do.

I enjoy the non-Hollywood foreign films, watching too much Hollywood turns your head into spaghetti sometimes. Even old classic Hollywood becomes a cliche sometimes if you watch too much.The Ingid Bergman films will be a treat and I am looking forward to them (along with the Garbo German version of Anna Christie).So many stars started out somewhere else before they came to Hollywood and it is nice to see them act before they were corrupted by Hollywood.

I find it odd that someone can be a fan of movies and not like foreign films. It requires too much work for some, having to read subtitles and take in the visual aspects of the film all at once. But to shy away from foreign films, one is really cutting themselves off from a major part of the cinema experience. Foreign films give us a look at the world around us. We get to have a glimpse at different cultures, but you will notice that many of the themes in foreign films are not much different from our own. I have personally been enriched and amazed at what the world has to offer and has contributed to the history of cinema, and in a time when Hollywood has run so dry of originality that EVERYTHING seems to be rehashed, I cherish foreign films now more than ever. I applaud TCM for making the effort to expose classic film fans to a broader palette.