Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MARY ASTOR, SOTM!!!

Hibi

Yeah, well, I'll tell ya what, Hibi, I'm personally gonna keep court of how many times the word "matronly" is mentioned by people in this thread...starting right NOW!

AND, the TENTH person who uses it will receive the shredded newspaper that a certain statue of a little black bird came wrapped in. ;)

(...this offer is void in the states of Arkansas, Utah, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia)

Admittedly, this is a picture of MIss Astor in her salad days ( what a fun expression...too bad nobody actually uses it anymore), but still, one would certainly not accuse her of looking "matronly" here:

Mary-Astor-9191197-1-402.jpg

Ok, here she is, somewhat older, I'm guessing. I dunno, I think she was quite pretty. Maybe it's the rolled up hairdo some find unappeallng.

astor.jpg

>Ok, here she is, somewhat older, I'm guessing. I dunno, I think she was quite pretty. Maybe it's the rolled up hairdo some find unappeallng.

Yep, as was mentioned a couple times in that "Maltese Falcon" thread a few times a while back, it seems it was often the hairstyle that not only was unflattering but seemed to add a few years to the look of Mary, and to also mentioned in that thread, Claudette Colbert and Jane Wyman.

Mary Astor month sounds good to me.

I know it's beyond unlikely, but I'd love to see the 1930 version of Holiday included. Ms. Astor plays the younger sister to Ann Harding in the Katharine Hepburn role. Wanted to see this one for a long while.

holiday+-+sisters2.jpg

And hell, while I'm at it - I'll also ask for Jennie Gerhardt (1933) with my beloved Sylvia Sidney (play nice, Universal! ;) ).

More likely - it'd be neat to schedule the always-welcome Midnight (1939) directly after one or more of her silent films with the great John B.

Just for the record, I think she was lovely - gorgeous skin and beautiful, dark eyes.

Mary+Astor.jpg

I would love to see the original Holiday too (Ann Harding's only Oscar nomination). I'm pretty sure TCM has never shown it. I think the only existing print is owned by the Library of Congress (hope that isnt true, but I think I read it in the Ann Harding bio).....

I definitely think this is good news. But some people will complain when they see that the programmers will put MALTESE FALCON and THE GREAT LIE into the lead-off primetime slots. They will say 'these are films we see all the time all year round.' But I am sure that there will be plenty of offerings from her RKO and Warner Brothers days in the 1930s, which though they are somewhat played because they are in the Turner Library, will be nice to see again.

The one film I would definitely love to see on TCM is RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE which has been airing on FMC. She has a very prominent role in this sudser, and in my opinion, it is her best late career performance.

I think it will be the usual suspects, which is okay to some extent, because she gave some fine performances in offerings like MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS and LITTLE WOMEN.

But I would definitely like to see her lesser played classics-- especially the ones she made at Fox, like BRIGHAM YOUNG and CLAUDIA and RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE.

Probably her best MGM film is ACT OF VIOLENCE, where she plays an aging prostitute. Simply excellent.

There were quite a few posts sometime back about this subject and Fred wasnt the only one.........

twinkeee

Ignore Member

Re: 3 versions of "The Maltese Falcon" tonight (June 7, 2013)

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 8:26 PM in response to: FredCDobbs in response to: FredCDobbs

Click to report abuse... Click to reply to this thread

Yes, you're right..Bebe is much better and I have always thought that Mary Astor looked like an 'old maid', she seemed to be 'prematurely' old!

(Hibi, I know you were not the one to say this, you're just quoting others.)

It is beyond me how anyone can think Mary Astor looked like an "old maid", especially when you see her in her work from the'30s.

By the way, I agree with TopBilled; from the Mary Astor films I've seen, *Act of Violence* is her best work. But then, I'm biased, as I love this nifty little under-rated noir, and not just because of M.A.

I'm another one who's hoping that *Act of Violence* will get one of the plum evening spots. Such a good film, with a terrific performance by Mary Astor.

I hope that Mary's tribute will have 40-50 films rather than just a couple of dozen. In any event, she's a most worthy choice for Star of the Month.

*.....leaving Susan Hayward once again coming up empty. She deserves it a lot more.*

Well, I think Mary Astor is at least as deserving as Susan Hayward, as are countless other stars (including one actress who could've been honored next month, when she'd've turned 90). The ones they definitely deserve it a lot more than those already so honored.

Hibi...I think you know the I Am entitled to My opinion !

YOU Yourself constantly,consistently and on an on going basis make Fun of GEORGE BRENT as well as your followers. I suppose you think that's ok and it is different, but it is not, actually, that is a Lot worse then someone giving their opinion.

I feel bad for you that you felt the Need to stope so Low as to re-post an old post of mine!

Twink

As we all know, it is perfectly acceptable to state an opinion here, whether it is popular or not.

And it is equally acceptable to state a contrary opinion here, so long as one is polite about it.

There is also nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread to prove some point or other; people do it all the time. FredCDobbs is particularly fond of doing this, and has on many occasions.

There were quite a few posts sometime back about this subject and Fred wasnt the only one...

I didn't realize Fred Flinstone was a poster on this board? I was speaking in a hypothetical fashion of a certain archetype so I'm not sure why you assumed I was talking about Herr Dobbs.