Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mark Cousins

Im4movies2

I find the commentary of Mark Cousins on The Story of Film fascinating. I love how he mixes examples with scenes from films from later eras with the era being discussed in the chapter. It is something Ken Burns should follow who at times can be dry and boring. Mark Cousins so far isn't boring and I look forward to the coming chapters. However, for such an erudite and intelligent scholar of film that he comes to the interviews with Robert Osborne dressed like he's going to a back yard barbeque. His hair is unkempt, his shirt buttons are opened and he isn't wearing socks and here we have Robert Osborne so nattily dressed. This has been the case with many stars today who come on for interviews on talk shows. They lack the class that old time Hollywood used to have. We'd see stars beautifully coifed but today they come on in torn dungarees.

OH, NO! He's appearing with dear RO?? He's introducing the films too????? SO GLAD I havent been watching! If I do tune in, I'll have to hold off 5 mins like I do on The Eshentials...(LOL) Cant stand his type of film aficionado/"expert".........

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 11, 2013 12:39 PM

To me having the POV of 'I don't like experts, so I'm not going to listen to them' is closing oneself off from information.

Yes, a so called expert is just someone with opinions but IF that expert has done their homework one can learn things from them, even an expert that one disagrees with.

Taking in multple POVS is one way to gain knowledge.

Actually Cousins comes off as much more down-to-Earth in the intro segments. While the accent is still there, the cadence is different and one can grasp his enthusiasm.

The problem is looking at him. It appear that he slept in his clothes for an hour after binging all night, forgot to put his socks on and I almost expect birds to build a nest in his hair.

While I imagine he considers this to make him appear as an edgy eccentric, for me it comes off as his being a poseur. His starving artist days have long passed. I don't ask for Saville Row, but Skid Row thrift shop demeans him.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-la-et-0830-tcm-jpg-20130901,0,3504253.photo

Sorry, but while I've so far found Mr. Cousins' series somewhat informative, that is IF you accept his POV which seems slanted in a mildly "anti-Hollywood" manner, I'm sorry Im4movies2, but his monotone little Irish lift narration is DRVING ME FREAKIN' CRAZY!!!

And thus as you now have probably discerned, I personally have found his so-called "erudite and intelligent" manner in this thing a little hard to accept.

(...in other words, would somebody, ANYBODY please tell Mr. Cousins for me to look up the word "INFLECTION" in the dictionary, or at least NEXT time he does one of these things to get a REAL freakin' narrator and one who knows what that word means!)

I think I may have seen the film, but it wasnt during one of its "exclusive" engagements (no cards!) I cant remember now. I think Divine was in it, but I think he/she was in just about all of them....I know that the audience would be instructed on screen which one to sniff (not always too pleasant. If I recall one was passing gas........)

It was Polyester! The one with Tab Hunter co-starred. How could I forget that one........

Edited by: Hibi on Sep 11, 2013 5:11 PM

It's probably not so much the pronunciation of each word, it's more how each of his spoken sentences have almost the exact same "sing-songy" cadence to them, and with the final word in each spoken sentence never ever ending with a downward note, but instead just floating up as if asking a question.

It's almost enough to put ME to sleep, anyway.

(...and so yes, if THAT is being a "HibernoPHOBE", then slap my freakin' Blarney Stone or whatever the hell the northern part of little island''s equivalent is, and call me guilty!!!)

LOL

When I was watching the 2nd installment, my wife asked if I ever saw the movie he was talking about at the time.

"Which movie is that"? I asked

"The one he just mentioned. 'The Cried' ". She said.

Dumbfounded, I wracked my brain for a moment...

"Oh! No, he's TRYING to say, 'The CROWD'!"

Indeed, my Grandfather stepped off the boat from Poland and didn't learn English until he was 25, but STILL spoke clearer.

Sepiatone

Oh, I have. The young contractor my wife and I recently used to re-do our kitchen and rebuild our deck at our house here in Sedona recently was a nice little Irish lad(fiery red hair and all), who sounded like he just got off the boat from the Emerald Isle, and even though he's been in the States some 10 years now.

(...and it was a good "ting" Fergal has a great sense o' humor, 'cause I kidded the little guy to no end about his accent...I don't know HOW many times the poor kid had to hear me say, "It's magically delicious!") LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Sep 12, 2013 10:20 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings