Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE BIG SKY

FarnhamScott

Mercifully, TCM has been showing this great Hawks film fairly often. especially as it is not available on home video. And why is this? Does anyone know if it's a rights issue or something? You would think an acclaimed gem from a major director with a major star (Kirk Douglas) would be already released... True, it's in black and white and has some issues with the complete version having some 16mm footage that might not look as good in high definition, but it's a really excellent film that deserves a good make-over.

Many great movies have still not been released as dvd's, because the big profits are in releases of recent movies.

Older titles are only of interest to a smaller group of film fans, so commercially less interesting. But more and more titles are becoming available in the last few years, so maybe it's just a matter of time and patience.

Warners is still looking for 35mm material on the cut footage. I have a complete 16mm print and while the quality is better than the 16mm footage seen in the version shown on TCM, it is still not good enough for digital release. It is a year-of-release print struck for non-theatrical showings and has full density. Great for showing on a screen, but a bit too "heavy" for effective telecine.

I guess it's nice to know that they are at least looking for the footage. It's been a favourite film of mine for many years, one I have shown to many film fans unfamiliart with it, and the response is often, "Why can't I get a copy?" They finally restored DRACULA (1958) -- and why isn't it available here and not just Britian? -- so I guess miracles can happen. But I'm getting too old to hope that films will be found in time for me to see them..... ah, time, time, time...

How I envy you your complete print.

• 3 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings