Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The More the Merrier (1943) ,,,,, delightful movie !!

FredCDobbs

This is a great fun movie, with a perfect cast. Very funny and enjoyable to watch again and again. It received 6 Academy Award nominations, quite a lot for a light comedy.

Charles Coburn received an Academy Award for his performance in this film.

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Sep 11, 2013 7:33 PM

This is also one of my favorite Jean Arthur movies. I laughed at the portrayal of her very upright, uptight character, keeping poor middle-aged Coburn hopping and racing around on her ultra-specific schedule. Then McCrea comes along and upsets the whole applecart... I liked the scene where she and Coburn and McCrea are sitting around the breakfast table and she's talking about her fiance... the (attitude) difference between her and the men really obvious and really comic.

It's kind of symbolic that, not long into McCrea's entrance into the film, he's seen yelling and making weird noises like Tarzan while he's taking a shower... kind of telegraphing to the audience that he's spirited and going to "cause a ruckus" for straightlaced Arthur.

Poor Arthur... she suffered so much in her anxieties around performing, but when push came to shove she just came alive on the screen. She had to be "pushed" and coaxed into scenes, but when she 'clicked' she was wonderful. And despite her problems she made film after film, lucky for us.

>I thought all of Madeline Stowe's choices were great tonight and think she's articulate and lovely. She'd be a great one for the Essentials.

You can say THAT again, Lavender!

And I'll add that she's GORGEOUS and her voice is like the most heavenly of music.

(...as you can probably now tell, I'm falling fast for her here) ;)

Absolutely :) another favorite of mine is *Talk of The Town* again, another great combo This time Jean and Grant and Colman. She was perfect in these types of roles, the sweet intelligent woman and the sweet, intelligent males at her side. Teriffic actress and yes aren't we lucky that she pushed thru her demons and always gave that great performance.

This is one { of many } of my favorite Jean Arthur films. She was one of my first star crushes. I don't know if it was written for her by Garson Kanin, but she was cast in the lead of the original production of "Born Yesterday", but because of her bouts with nerves and insecurity she left the show before it got to Broadway. Enter Judy Holliday and as they say "the rest is....."

But she did hit the Great White Way a few years later. In 1950 she wowed audiences in "Peter Pan" at age 50.. But later she again left shows like "Joan of Arc" and "The First Monday in October" which was written especially for her, because of her nerves.

While teaching at Vassar College, she watched on of her students preform and stated "it was like watching a movie star" The student was a young Meryl Streep.....

I think the movie is very entertainingly done because of the "ever so coy" dialogue and how all the actors deliver it.

The only problem I've ever had with the movie is that fake crying jag that Jean goes into a couple of times near the end of it.

(...it didn't ring true to her character, in my view)

Jean Arthur is one of my favorite actresses. I found it interesting that Stowe mentioned Lombard, Arthur and Dunne. It is always a coin flip who I love more, Lombard or Arthur. Each time I see one of their movies I have to toss the coin again!

But overall I think Arthur has a stronger legacy of first rate movies. The movies she was in are a great blend of comedy and drama about an interesting subject. (but never too much drama to weigh them down).

Mr Deeds, Mr Smith, Only Angels Have Wings, Talk of The Town, The Devil and Miss Jones all fit into this category. Of course she was also in some less serious comedies like Easy Living and countless others. Then she ends her career with Shane, one of the greatest westerns of all time.

This is a wonderful, sexy little movie. It was on a couple of weeks ago, and I saw only parts of it because it was too late, but this time I caught the parts I missed. The chemistry between Jean Arthur and Joel Mcrea is fantastic: the scene where he's showing her the travel case and their faces are so close together, the necking scene on the steps, and then the conversation when they're in bed in their separate rooms, and the ending... Don't know how they got this one past the censors.

• Like 1

It's always been my favorite movie, and just today I looked up the beautiful song sung in harmony by the men bedded down in the lobby of the apartment house. It's from World War I, and the name of it is "Don't Try to Steal the Sweetheart of a Soldier." When I located it in YouTube, I was delighted to see the WWI posters that were shown while they played the old 78 RPM records.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings