Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NANOOK OF THE NORTH (1922) Tonight.

gagman66

I assume that this will be the brand new restoration released on Blu-ray by Flicker Alley only a few months ago. But I won't count on it, as TCM rarely picks up new versions of non-studio owned Silents. Rare exceptions being Keaton's SHERLOCK JUNIOR, THE GENERAL and OUR HOSPITALITY. Even in the case of a films that Warner's owns the rights to, such as Rex Ingram's MARE NOSTRUM (1926), so far TCM hasn't licensed the new tinted transfer from Photoplay Productions, which may also have reintroduced previously lost sequences. It may also have a different and better score.

They were supposed to be picking up the new Cohen Restoration of THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924), with the Carl Davis score, but it just aired in July with the Gaylord Carter score, so I won't count on that either. However, it appears that TCM is running the original Two-hour Studio cut of GREED with a Davis score, not the 4 hour reconstruction with Robert Israel score that they have been running since 2000.

Not exactly sure why TCM doesn't air Keaton's THE THREE AGES with the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra score, instead of the Lee Erwin Theater Organ score. I trust that TCM will debut the restored version of THE BIG PARADE on the 25th in Prime-time without fail.

Sepiatone,

NANOOK OF THE NORTH was definitely a different version than TCM aired a couple years ago. It had a very good Timothy Brock Orchestra score. It was not the restored version that Flicker Alley released only a few months ago.

Yes, THE THIEF OF BAGDAD with no announcement aired for the first time ever in the new Cohen Restoration and with the Carl Davis score. Because it was shown in July with the Gaylord Carter score, how was anyone supposed to know that they would be debuting it last night with the Davis score for the first time? Afraid that many people probably missed it as they expected the same thing as two months ago. I'm stoked that TCM picked up the Cohen version, but even on the TCM Movie Data Base clips, it still has the Gaylord Carter music? So that's extremely misleading! The older Kino print contains bits and pieces of footage not found at all in the Cohen one. Different camera angles, and some scenes are longer. That surprises me. I guess Rohauer didn't have that footage in his archive, and Cohen didn't borrow from any other print sources for the film.

I have the Thames Thief of Bagdad which was on PBS at 161 min. It has always been shown at a faster speed since then. Just saying the speed

allows you the time to see and understand what you're seeing. If you run it faster your mind goes into fatigue because it can't keep up so you get less understanding. I have 2 versions of Nanook, one is 65 min. and that was the first restoration. (it had been destroyed by turning it into a talking movie by removing all the titles) then Image put out a dvd which was at a more proper speed. & a better quality visual.

Sometimes restoring a movie is a downgrade if not done properly.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings