Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alfred Hitchcock

28Silent

> Robert Osborne was wrong ,there is nothing less known about his picture life boat.It's been available on t.v and home video for years.It is totally known.Osborne was just ballyhooing the film .

It could be that Robert O was referring to *Lifeboat* as one of Hitchcock's lesser known films. Hitch is mostly remembered for films like *Psycho*, *Vertigo*, *North by Northwest*, *Rear Window* and *The Birds* as well as the *Rebecca*, *Suspicion* and his mysteries from the 1930s that he made in Britain.

Many people are surprised when they discover that Hitch also directed *Lifeboat* because the subject matter is not one that they associate with Hitch.

>Many people are surprised when they discover that Hitch also directed Lifeboat because the subject matter is not one that they associate with Hitch.

A lot of people also don't think of it as a Hitchcock film because they didn't catch his usual appearance in the film. We all know where to look, but many people still don't.

Sorry mark but that doesn't sound logical. Anyone that has seen Lifeboat would know it was a Hitchcock film when they saw the beginning credits and it said 'directed by Alfred Hitchcock'.

I do agree that like I Confess, Lifeboat is one of the lesser know Hitchcock films. That is understandable since Hitchcock directed so many films and some many great good ones it is difficult for every us classic movie nuts at this forum to know them all. e.g. I saw I Confess for the first time last Sunday and I've been a Hitchcock nut for decades.

While I enjoyed I Confess, I still don't think it was likly the priest would of been charged with the crime of murder since there was no solid evidence. He was charged once they learned he had a motive and that unaccounted for 30 minutes.

I don't know how Canada's legal system works but that wouldn't be enough to charge someone in the USA. But most films have holes in the plot and this one didn't impact my enjoyment of the movie.

But if I was the director I think I would of not had him charged and came up with another way to expose the real killer. e.g. like the priest being defrocked and that upsetting the wife of the killer enough to spill the beans.

• 2 weeks later...

James, when you use the word "defrocked" all I can think of is the bit about Tallulah Bankhead continually being nude at parties and her friend Estelle Winwood saying "Dear, I don't know why you keep doing this, you have so many lovely frocks."

Sorry for the intrusion.

James, when you use the word "defrocked" all I can think of is the bit about Tallulah Bankhead continually being nude at parties and her friend Estelle Winwood saying "Dear, I don't know why you keep doing this, you have so many lovely frocks."

Sorry for the intrusion.

LOL. Tallulah was certainly an original. As was Estelle Winwood.

To bring it back to Hitch, does anyone know if the story about Tallulah going pantie-less during the filming of Lifeboat true? Regardless, I love Hitchcock's response: "I don't know if this is a matter for the costume department, makeup, or hairdressing."

>tracey said: Speaking of Lifeboat (and many other Hitchcock classics) I don't know if anyone has posted this (it's a little old--2008) but I thought it was kind of nifty. It's modern actors re-creating stills from Hitchcock movies in Vanity Fair ::

LOL! You just answered something that has been puzzling me for 2 days. While researching the film, I ran across a photo of the recreation of Dial M for Murder with Charlize Theron in Grace Kelly's place. Just knowing that wasn't Grace, I did about a dozen double-takes think - ing "That's not Grace Kelly. Who is that? That's not Grace Kelly!! What's going on here?" I knew I knew who the actress was, but I couldn't recall her name, and I didn't want to break away from my research to figure this out so I've been wondering.. until now

Thanks tracey :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings