Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's to Madeleine Stowe co-hosting "The Essentials"!

Dargo2

She's got the voice, the articulation, the seeming knowledge of cinema, the presences, AND she AIN'T bad on the ol' eyes EITHER, I might add!

And so, what say we get this here thing rollin', people?!!!

(...I mean, c'mon now, admit it...aren't ya just a LITTLE bit tired of hearin' Bob's present co-host for this thing talk in that freakin' Valley Girl/"Vocal Fry" voice o' hers by now???)

LOL

Nothing against Drew, I like her. Drew's stint as Co-Host is bound to end at some point.and a new Co-Host with Mr. Osborne will be approached.

I'm ALL for and HOPING Madeleine Stowe will be asked to be the next Co- Host of the Essentials Series.

I thought Madeleine Stowe was so impressive last night. Beautiful, lovely to listen to, knowledgeable about films and interested in backstories. I loved her selections as guest programmer (picked some of my favs ). I would LOVE to see Madeleine Stowe as the next Co-Host on The Essentials Series. TCM Staff if you see this PLEASE consider Our suggestion. Thanks.

I must concur totally.

She was a joy and was really articulate. The lady was able to debate Osborne on certain points since it was obvious that she really knew her films.

Some people come on and actually seem totally devoid of knowledge about the film they are touting. Kind of like when supposed celebrities write an article for a mag and you just know someone else ghostwrote it for them.

Madeleine Stowe was a pleasure and I really enjoyed her take on SING and the other films.

Good call, Dargo!

Sorry Lavender, I suppose I should have given you credit here for the thought of starting this thread.

(...BUT if you NOW start ALSO expecting some freakin' "royalty check"..err.."CHEQUE" to come in YOUR mailbox TOO, just like a certain older fella around here who's so proud of his "Egg McGuffin" line, well sorry lady, you've got another thing comin'!!!!) ;)

LOL

the problem is "the essentials" has no meaning. it is like "the best" car. how can you even begin to reach a conclusion? Its a totally bogus topic.

I have nothing against the Hollywood actors who are asked to speak. But there is nothing to talk about. What is the best type of saw? What is the best musical instrument? What is the best shoe? Who is the best tv host?

I agree. I rarely watch the show as its just the same films over and over. I would like it more if they selected a film and had a more in depth discussion. The patter about the film is pretty superficial, but I expect TCM sees it as a show to lure in new viewers..

That said, I'm sorry I missed Ms. Stowe last night. DIdnt realize it was a programming night. I might have tuned in to see her comments, not watching the films.......

Not a bad point I suppose, tgm.

However, I've always thought this series was more attuned toward those out there in televisionland who might not possess all that much knowledge of classic film*.

( *-"classic film" of course being a term in THIS case of which a certain Northern Irish lad by the name of "Cousins" may not agree...LOL)

And, while I must admit I have usually watched the films being shown in this series a number of times already, and thus usually just turn in to hear what Bob and the Valley Girl have to say about 'em and then very often switch channels to another program, I think in some small measure this series is worth TCM's time and effort.

I have to admit thegreatman has a point though about The Essentials.

Seeing the recent clips of George C. Scott speaking at the Cagney tribute, made me think of his refusal of the whole award insanity. One has to admire him but even then one has to laugh to think that probably the best way to get an Oscar is to call their bluff and say it is baloney and then they HAVE to give it to you.

I guess one has to look at TE as being a primer perhaps for those who are not big film devotees and leave it at that.

Well, I love the Madeleine Stowe idea but if she's unavailable, I think they should hire Mickey Rooney.

Now that man might have some interesting choices.

He's a living legend and I miss seeing him.

And if they don't give him an Honorary Oscar soon, I am going to be really peeved.

He can sing, he can dance, he can do comedy, he can do tragedy and he was Laurence Olivier's favorite actor.

What more does the academy want???

No, I think you're thinkin' of the first year of that series when another really hot brunette babe by the name of Meg Foster played the Cagney character, and before the blonde Sharon Gless would take over that role.

(...good try though, finance....err, I mean TWINK!!!) ;)

Yep, I'm pretty sure most of those sequences are done all in one or two day's time, Hibi. And thus my reason for holding out this hope this thing can de done.

(...I mean, if ALEC can do all those lame "What's in YOUR wallet?" commercials and still had time for this "Essentials" thing, NOT to mentioned his havin' the time to make the freakin' NEWS every freakin' time one of those lowlife Paparazzi characters wanna snap a picture of his freakin' mug, then why can't MADELEINE make the time for this thing TOO, right?!)

LOL

Mickey Rooney was presented an honorary Oscar on April 11, 1983, "in recognition of his 60 years of versatility in a variety of memorable film performances."

Forty-four years earlier, on February 23, 1939, he and Deanna Durbin were awarded Juvenile Oscars "for their significant contribution in bringing to the screen the spirit and personification of youth, and as juvenile players setting a high standard of ability and achievement."