Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's to Madeleine Stowe co-hosting "The Essentials"!

Dargo2

And I believe Mickey was THE Number-1 male box office draw during the early years of WWII, also.

(...still can't figure out what Ada saw in the guy, though...and I know I'm not alone THERE!)

And yes, a few years back I mentioned Mickey's name as a possible "Essentials" co-host too, but he's now REALLY up there in age, ya know. Sure wouldn't wanna witness Mickey buyin' the farm while Bob is mid-sentence!

Nope, I don't watch "Revenge", sfp.

From the get-go and when they first started running the promos for this series, I got the impression it was basically just a darker version of all those '80s night time soaps like "Dallas" and "Dynasty". And so, because I was never really into those kinda shows back in the day, it didn't seem like a program I would be interested in.

(...BUT, every time I saw Madeleine in those promos, I gotta admit I WAS tempted to check the show out!) ;)

In a nutshell, just think of "Revenge" as another dark version of "Batman," with Emily Van Camp ("Everwood," "Brothers & Sisters") as a moneyed Bruce Wayne type determined to take down everyone who framed her father in the mid-1990s. Madeleine Stowe's wicked stepmother-like character is very high on her list, although their relationship is complicated.

Season 1 was great. Season 2 had a muddled storyline. I'm hoping Season 3 will be less clunky.

Stowe is great in the series and deserving of Emmy consideration every year, but network shows don't produce award winners anymore.

Edited by: jakeem on Sep 13, 2013 12:28 PM

Jake, I like your comparison of *Revenge* to *Batman*. And I agree that Season 1 was quite good, but the storyline for Season 2 got muddled. Revenge would have made an excellent mini-series, but figuring how to keep spinning out plotlines and delaying a final Emily vs. Victoria showdown is problematic.

Madeleine Stowe is perfect as the snotty, corrupt (but extremely stylish) rich woman you want to see brought down.

By the way, she's certainly passed her TCM audition with flying colors, and this is a tough crowd!

Perhaps I should have said that "Revenge" is closest to "Batman Begins" (2005), the first installment of Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" movie trilogy.

Amanda Clarke (VanCamp), who is posing as an old acquaintance named Emily Thorne, has the financial wealth, the martial arts training and the trusted inner circle necessary for accomplishing her plan of vengeance.

I agree. Revenge started out really good but the second season got overplotted. The creator of the show Mike Kelly said he loosely based the show on The Count Of Monte Cristo. I like the girl who plays her daughter, Christa B Allen. The character is kind of an overprivleged air head. It's kind of funny watching her assert her independence. She whines a lot but is still cute doing it.

That actress also was on a short lived kids show called Cake. The show was kind of silly but she exuded a great independence and spirit. Completely unlike her character on Revenge.

I agree that Madeline Stowe is wonderful on that show. She looks a little like my late aunt.

Drago 2 wrote:

No, I think you're thinkin' of the first year of that series when another really hot brunette babe by the name of Meg Foster played the Cagney character, and before the blonde Sharon Gless would take over that role.

(...good try though, finance....err, I mean TWINK!!!)

YEAH! Somebody else thinks *C&L* should have left well enough alone and kept Ms. Foster as Cagney. She must have had the bluest eyes in the history of the business and you couldn't take yours off her when she was on screen. She knew how to act as well.

The story that went out was that she was replaced by Sharon Gless because she wasn't "feminine enough". You can read between the lines on that one. I'd bet a lot of guys didn't agree either.

As for Ms. Stowe, I'll go along with her as a new *Essentials* host for the reasons already given although if we're going with somebody from *Last of the Mohicans* how about Daniel Day-Lewis as he looked in the movie? I know, it's been 20 years and he's morphed into Abe Lincoln; nobody would mistake me for Miss America either.

Madeline Stowe was in her mid to late 20's when Cagney And Lacey was on, so she could have been a guest star.

Sharon Gless just finished her 7 year stint on Burn Notice. Not to give anything away but she went out with a bang.

Meg Foster was on Pretty Little Liars. She is older and kind of scary looking, especially with those eyes. (Yes I'm a 45 year old man who watches Pretty Little Liars.)

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Sep 15, 2013 5:57 PM