Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Picnic

FlyBackTransformer

...again. Can't really say I mind what with it being such a pleasant film...until later on when Rosemary the School teacher cuts loose with her mouth. I would love a different ending though. At Benson's when the two cops tell Hal they're gonna let him have some sack time in jail and he most emphatically tells them "no damn jail!", I would like to see the rest of the film unfold differently. Instead of objecting to being locked up for the night what Hal Carter does instead is lower his head in abject resignation, muttering a pitiful "I'm sorry, kid" to Allan and allows the cops to cart him off. Of course, Allan probably woulda retorted with "Get outta here, you lousy bum!" what with being in such a bad humor about Madge. Later on after he gets to thinking about how he turned on his friend and then hearing the next day about Hal getting six months for vagrancy and auto theft thanks to charges filed by his dad Milburn Drysdale, president of the commerce bank of beverly hills, Allan Benson becomes wracked with guilt. To help his son Milburn Drysdale petitions the court for a reduced sentence for Hal promising him an executive position at his grain storehouses. :)

Well, why not do a completely revamped Picnic?

If Joseph Cornell could make a film isolating all the scenes of Rose Hobart and it now shows in museums, I think you should take Picnic apart scene by scene and make it fit your synopsis.

I'm available if you need anyone for continuity purposes...

Actually, Inge rewrote the ending of the play late in life and Madge doesnt leave at the end. He changed the title too. (I think it was called Summer Brave. Or Summer something...) It was produced on Broadway, but was not a success. I think Alexis Smith played the Rosemary part. (cant remember who else was in it)....

How come you always seem to want a traditional happy ending to movies? The uncertain future (happy? disastrous? mundane? a repeat of her mother's marriage experience?) for Madge and Hal is one of the strengths of this lovely little story.

Wasn't there some other film you commented on recently in which you "re-wrote" a happier ending? *The Wrong Man* ?

Many movies are better, stronger, more memorable ( and god knows, more realistic) with UNhappy or at least ambiguous endings.

Sometimes "happy endings" are good, other times they can feel "stuck on". All depends on the film.

Well, yeah, Looks like Hal and Alan won't be downing beers together again anytime soon.

It's kind of ironic, if you think about the actor who played Alan, Cliff Robertson, because he often played a "Hal" type himself. Or at least a "misfit" who disrespects authority and leads an unconventional "drifter" kind of lifestyle.

I'm thinking in particular of "the big Kahuana" character in *Gidget* (ok, pretty lightweight example...) and Tolly Devlin in *Underworld USA*.

Of course, both of those movies were made after *Picnic*.

I would have thought that Holden would have blown up a bridge as he did in a number of his other films. Or maybe one of Susan Strasberg's errant cigarette butts would have burned down half of the town. Hal would have saved Madge's mom from the fire and she would have changed her mind about him. :D

Not sayin' you're wrong about Cliff Robertson here, MissW. but I've always thought of him more as the "buttoned-down" type and less the "misfit".

Yep, when I think of him, I envision him as that extremely conservative presidential candidate opposite Henry Fonda in "The Best Man", or as naval officer JFK in "PT-109", or later in his career when he often seemed to play the covert C.I.A. operative type or the corruptible business executive type.

***edited to correct spelling because I've been typing the name "Mrs. Robinson" so many freakin' times the last few days around here, that I at first called Cliff Robertson, "Cliff ROBINSON" up there!!!***

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Sep 12, 2013 9:58 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings