Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mistakes in "Vertigo"...planned or not?

CaveGirl

Have you ever noticed how in "Vertigo" in the green lit scene where Scottie views the newly revamped Madeleine, and peroxided Judy walks slowly out of the bathroom toward him...that the bed light shade, suspended right below the flowered picture behind her, is there...then not there?

It's kind of spooky...since the scene is eerie anyway but it appears and disappears.

Also in the scene at Scottie's apartment, what is with the bit where the curtains keep hanging up the actors as they walk near the window? It almost looks like someone is behind them. Gee, is Elster hanging out there to watch the action? Just kidding...

Hitchcock was such a consummate planner, it's hard to figure why he did not notice the missing bed light shade. Planned or not?

I have a lot of fun going frame by frame during some scenes, where Scottie imagines a woman looks like Madeleine, to see that first Hitch used Kim in the scene and then the other actress.

All those profiles too. They jump out at you and if you slow them down you can see they are from different takes.

I too like to examine some scenes on a frame by frame basis, almost always to see how some stunt or special effect might have been done. Keep in mind though that in 1958 no filmmaker could have imagined that one day you and I would have the ability to do this "frame by frame" analysis. So as long as the scene played ok for the people in the movie theatre who cared about these little variations?

• 9 years later...
On 9/19/2013 at 2:21 PM, CaveGirl said:

Who knew all those old films would be viewed again and again by just fans in their living rooms.

Hitchcock knew this and that's why he probably felt comfortable, knowing that after the first-run it would no longer visible and that he could get away with creating this MISERABLE MESS.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings