Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DECEMBER SCHEDULE IS UP!

classicsstarlets

The great Robert Bresson +All Mine to Give = get out your handkerchiefs! The 1938 (my favorite) and the 1951 (the crowd's favorite) Christmas Carol ! And best of all, one of the Von Sternberg/Dietrich masterpieces, Blonde Venus, which is so much more than the justly celebrated "Hot Voodoo" number!

It doesn't look like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is being shown this December.

Did TCM air it last December? I don't remember.

NBC owns the exclusive TV rights to It's A Wonderful Life for the next gazillion years. About the only way to see that uncut and commercial free until about the fifth or sixth coming of Jesus is to buy it or to rent it.

No doubt, when some people realize that the films on December 2nd and 9th are from the years 1996 through 2006 these boards will be swamped with predictions that TCM has gone the route of AMC and all is lost.

Of course, the real reason is, as with the previous weeks, the films shown are from the years covered in that week's episode of "The Story of Film".

> AndyM108 said: NBC owns the exclusive TV rights to It's A Wonderful Life for the next gazillion years. About the only way to see that uncut and commercial free until about the fifth or sixth coming of Jesus is to buy it or to rent it.

Yeah, we should live long enough to see TCM have a shot at getting the rights to IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

It's true that the best most people can do to see it uncut and commercial-free is to watch, the DVD, but if one is lucky enough to live in an area where it's shown on the big screen at a theater, that's the way to go.

Last year, I saw a stunningly beautiful 35mm print at the historical Capitol Theater in Rome, New York and it was a joy. I know some people don't want to pay to see something can see for free on TV, but in the case of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, it's a treat.

• 1 month later...

> 2006 also has another film on the December schedule and that is the charming film The Holiday. (The film features a supporting performance by Eli Wallach, who of course has been in the movie business since the 1950's) I assume that it is playing because it is a Christmas movie and it is showing in between Remember the Night and Bachelor Mother, two other Christmas movies.

I just came across THE HOLIDAY (2006) as I was going through the Now Playing guide for December.

Does anyone know if it has anything to do with Christmas, sandwiched as it is among Christmas movies on December 17?

I ask because it seems almost like a possible error in the schedule, for two reasons.

First, it's such a modern movie that it doesn't seem to fit TCM's usual programming choices, especially given that the Now Playing description says that it's about two people trading summer houses, suggesting that it may not fit the night's theme (which is an occasional reason for TCM to show a newer movie).

Second, Robert Osborne's essay on SOTM Fred Astaire mentions that we'll have a chance to see him with Virginia Dale and Marjorie Reynolds, an obvious reference to his HOLIDAY INN co-stars (along with Bing, of course). Yet, HOLIDAY INN is not listed anywhere on the December schedule. Could it be that the schedule should actually have this 1942 holiday classic in place of the similarly named 2006 movie?

Any insight into whether we'll be seeing Fred and Bing cavorting on Dec. 17, instead of Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet?

Update: Reading farther into the Now Playing guide for December, I see that they mention THE HOLIDAY in their article on the month's Christmas movies, implying that it not only does have Christmas (not just "holiday" as in "vacation") content, but also that it was intentionally scheduled. Maybe it was actually the reference to HOLIDAY INN in Mr. Osborne's essay that was inaccurate -- perhaps they originally planned to show the movie but things later fell through, and no one caught the reference in the essay before publication.

(By the way, I don't mean to malign the newer movie, which I haven't seen -- it's just that it doesn't seem to fit the night's theme or TCM's usual programming choices. It may be a great movie for all I know, although I have to admit that, even if so, I'd prefer to see HOLIDAY INN.)

Edited by: BingFan on Nov 16, 2013 11:05 PM

> BingFan wrote:

> It may be a great movie for all I know, although I have to admit that, even if so, I'd prefer to see HOLIDAY INN.

I would not call it a great movie. It found it nice and done well. It has been a few years since I have watched it and very little of it stays with me.

*Holiday Inn* is a truly memorable movie and it would have been a great treat for it to be shown.

>Robert Osborne's essay on SOTM Fred Astaire mentions that we'll have a chance to see him with Virginia Dale and Marjorie Reynolds, an obvious reference to his HOLIDAY INN co-stars (along with Bing, of course). Yet, HOLIDAY INN is not listed anywhere on the December schedule.

Maybe R.O. made an honest mistake or the schedule was changed after his column went to print...?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings