Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

" Soylent Green" (1973)

This movie has aged very well. It's still exciting, thought provoking and in the scene with Eward G. Robinson surprisingly moving. The recent "Elysium" tried to tell a similar plot but with a heavy handed political message and a tired action plot .

I haven't seen "Elysium", but I have heard of it's telling an old story with a new cover. You feel the same as me about "Soylent Green". Edward G. Robinson's final scene is indeed a moving one. Charlton Heston, who has never experienced the 'better days', is struck silent in awe of the beauty and abundance of natural resources once available on a now dying Earth. With each viewing I too become absorbed in the moment, feeling their conditions fast approaching in our time. The discovery of Soylent Green's origins presents a logic of survival that is truly inescapable. This could, indeed, come to pass.

"Elysium" takes place in future in which the earth is a polluted over populated waste land- and where the rich have escaped to a space station paradise in which the illegal masses are not allowed.

That overlays nicely with Soylent Green's depiction. The rich have moved from exclusive apartment buildings with A/C and all the hot water they can handle, to similar accommodations off-world.

Soylent's always been one of my favorites, I couldn't resist watching it again. I don't think Robinson was that impressive during his death scene, all he did was gape at the pictures. He was empathically outstanding in his other scenes. I believe this was his Last Movie, a nice send-off for a wonderful actor. I wasn't a fan of Harry Harrison and I've never read the novel. Is the film much different from the book? I drew a comic picture of a box of Soylent Breakfast Flakes, the logo was a trawler at sea. The box advertised a Pacific Ocean Adventure contest, the prize was a two-month voyage. I've forgotten what the ingredients were but I find it and report back.

Aha, I found it! processed cyanosalicyclic algae and sundry organic detritus; talciferous excorbiate; potashium mondonitrate; enzymblematic dyspeptide; isotryptopyroglycolytic lipozoid; gluteal synthophonetic pholsphosacchalyze; micropolyester fiber; MSG added to packing material to eliminate taste

Edited by: SWfan on Sep 16, 2013 9:47 PM

Edited by: SWfan on Sep 16, 2013 9:51 PM

I have not read the novel either but from the title it seems to be more concerned with over population than corporate sanctioned cannibalism.

The message from the novel and the movie doesn't appear consistant with the political views of Heston.

i.e. the movie has a green message (pun intented).

So I did some research. Heston was always active in politics but he didn't change parties until the 80s. Interesting.

The film is based on a novel titled, I believe, "Make Room! Make Room!" And it says nothing about Soylent Green or its sinister significance.

Was reading about this dude, Rob Rhinehart, who was created a food substitute he named Soylent:

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/933785/life-to-busy-to-eat-well-replace-food-with-soylent/

Americans get to try Soylent as of March 1, 2014, and Canada is to be the first international market for the stuff soon after.

Rhinehart said he got the name of the product from the novel the movie is based on: "Make Room! Make Room!"

Wiki page about the product here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_%28food_substitute%29

Official site here: http://www.rosalabs.com/

And you can order your Soylent here:

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body

U know, to have something to drink/eat the next time "Soylent Green" in aired on TCM...

I should have mentioned that Harry Harrison is the author of the novel.

But I wonder what the new stuff tastes like. Are people going to be making nervous jokes when they eat it?

And here's a suggestion for a cross-endorsement --

"Hannibal Lecter says Soylent Green is delicious!"

I think Hannibal would be much more likely to say 'not nearly as good as the real thing.' ;)

Don't think I'd name my new food "product" Soylent. No matter what it was made of. Bound to turn people off.

This movie has aged very well. It's still exciting, thought provoking and in the scene with Eward G. Robinson surprisingly moving.

No agreement from me. Nothing against Eddie G, but this movie has just gotten more stupid with age - and it wasn't exactly heady stuff when it was new. Simple-minded and completely unconvincing.