Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Destination Moon

FlyBackTransformer

I love it as I'm sure many life-long space cadets do. A space cadet is anyone who sat in front of the ol' crt-based idiot box for a lot longer then they should have. That's me for sure. DM may be dated but it's still alotta fun. Personally, I think we oughta give single body atomic pile heated steam propelled rocketships another shot. Just kidding.but hey it was 1950. Let me see if I got the cast right. John Archer is Jim Barnes the builder egged on by Gen. Thayer played by Tom Powers and Warner Anderson is the designer Cargraves and Dick Wesson is somewhat comic relief as Joe Sweeney. I like all the attention given to the building of the ship but what is really clever imo is the substituting of Chesley Bonestell's astronomical art for sfx. Brilliant and it works. Anyway, it's on youtube. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042393/?ref_=sr_1

Many of us believe the moon landings were faked. Man has not yet got there. Just think, if We had been there on what 5 different landings and

now it is beyond our capabilities? Its obvious we could not go to the moon and the landings were faked for propaganda. In fact there were no unmanned landings. If you are planning on landing men alive onto a desolate moon, you would need to do alot of unmanned landings bringing supplies of stuff they'll need to use to get back. Since Nasa did nothing to aid the return trip what did they use as fuel? It was nice propaganda to take the populations minds off a losing war and multiple assassinations of our leaders. But it is obvious thats all it was - a pipe dream for a horrible bungled coupd'etat.

RIGHT ON, brother!

I've been sayin' for YEARS that "Capricorn One" was REALLY a thinly disguised documentary about just THIS, but would anyone ever LISTEN to me?! NO!

(...well OTHER than that nice little nurse who'd bring me my medication at 10, 2 and 6 every day during my stay at that Camarillo Hospital, that is...SHE knew what I was talkin' about anyway!) ;)

2 problems with the fake moon landings, first is the Laser reflector used to determine the exact distance from Earth to Moon. It could only at the time be set up by hand. Robotics were too crude back then to accomplish the feat.

2nd problem is the Russians! It would have been a propaganda bonanza in making us look like idiots and the laughing stock of the planet if we ever did such a thing.

laser_rr_lg.gif

cartoon.gif

Edited by: hamradio on Sep 16, 2013 9:07 PM

thegreatman wrote:

>Many of us believe the moon landings were faked. Man has not yet got there. Just think, if We had been there on what 5 different landings and

now it is beyond our capabilities? Its obvious we could not go to the moon and the landings were faked for propaganda. In fact there were no unmanned landings. If you are planning on landing men alive onto a desolate moon, you would need to do alot of unmanned landings bringing supplies of stuff they'll need to use to get back. Since Nasa did nothing to aid the return trip what did they use as fuel? It was nice propaganda to take the populations minds off a losing war and multiple assassinations of our leaders. But it is obvious thats all it was - a pipe dream for a horrible bungled coupd'etat.

I don't use the "ignore" function, but after that bit of semi-psychotic nonsense, I won't be able to give credence to anything you say.

"IGNORE function"???

C'mon now VX, ya GOTTA know that our friend "thegreatman" was pullin' our collective legs here, doncha?!

Well, I HOPE the guy was anyway, 'cause I just HATE IT whenever somebody tricks me into revealin' that I spent the good part of the '80s in that Camarillo Hospital!!!

(...nah, not really.......it was a good part of the '90s) ;)

LOL

One of history's forgotten events were the proposal by JFK to share the moon landing with the Russians. What a different world we could had if he were not assassinated. :(

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/russia-97h.html

===================================================

The most stupid modern movie ever made about the moon is "Iron Sky" (2012) where Nazi's fled to the moon to set up the Fourth Reich.

How high on drugs were they on? (people who came up with that plot!)

552576-iron-sky-movie.gif

Iron_sky_poster.png

!

Edited by: hamradio on Sep 16, 2013 11:27 PM

Capricorn 1 is the only OJ Simpson I could make myself watch, (how that for a can of worms.) I thought the Melies movie was better, (I know Apple and Oranges.)

The second episode of Futurama is really funny. We find out that the moon is a tacky amusement park. They return to it on the final episode.

Well, I grabbed Destination Moon by far my favorite George Pal 1950s sci-fi classic off of youtube but I am not satisfied with it at all. the overall quality is poor and the technicolor hues are way off. Too much green and not enough red or blue. Watching DM many times since the mid 1970s when a local station would run it alot usually late on a weeknite I know as a result of familiarity that the technicolor hues of DM always had too much blue. Even today with a good sound print of DM this is still true. Anyways, vibrant technicolor even with a lot of blue is still most preferable to the weak colors of the youtube print so I grabbed me a good print someplace else. I know that the few pitiful times that TCM has bothered to show DM the last few years the quality of the print used was none to remarkable what with poor sound quality also. Surely 80 or 90 year old french silent films about parisian carnivals and or marital life are far more important than the fabulous technicolor visuals of George Pal's 1950s sci-fi extravaganzas. Quite? p.s. pip pip and all that. :)

Ha! Ha! Speaking of Dark Sky (2012), I watched this yesterday on Netflix because one of my sons told me it was a total stupid yet hilarious movie. Wow was he right about stupid but I laughed my head off at many things in this grossly ridiculous politically charged silly irreverent movie. It's very sad to laugh at anything Nazi-charged but the total absurdity and anti-political correctness was hard not to guiltily laugh at. I don't like to admit I just watched this but I did.

Hitler and vampires? WOW!

I DO recall, in the mis-'60's, a cartoon in a magazine. The picture was of a stereotypical "Martian"; ie; horn for nose, antennae on head, addressing an army of Martians, saying, " Fellow martians! You have been disguised to look exactly as the Earthman we captured 20 Earth years ago. Now, go and INFILTRATE!"

But all the Martians in the invading army looked like ADOLF HITLER!

Sepiatone

I love it!

Woody Woodpecker: "But how do I get back off this piece o' cheese?"

Announcer: "Very easily, Woody. Going from the Moon back to the Earth is much easier than going from the Earth to the Moon because going back it's downhill most of the way!"

(...and here people say the American educational system isn't what it should be!) LOL

(...and with my alternate addendum here being: Gee, I wonder if Wernher von Braun calculated for that?) LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Sep 19, 2013 12:09 PM

Woody Woodpecker, Spaceballs...Nazis!

This is definitely my kind of thread.

I will say I think it is untoward to vote any film as the worst ever made without having a true contribution from at least a thousand TCM contributors. I mean, who can forget "They Saved Hitler's Brain".

Can't remember if that title was followed by an exclamation point or not...

Of course any movie with Nazis in it is of interest to me. I think I liked that snivelly little worm, Martin Kosleck the most and he could always play a great Nazi, who would have done credit to Mengele.

For some reason inept sci-fi films seem to be the most fun and I don't need commentary by some losers trying to point out to me the amusing scenes as I'd rather find them myself. I particularly like films with crazy plastic surgery plots or mind control as in "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" which actually is a very good sci-fi film and stars one of my faves, Gloria Talbot.

>For some reason inept sci-fi films seem to be the most fun and I don't need commentary by some losers trying to point out to me the amusing scenes as I'd rather find them myself. I particularly like films with crazy plastic surgery plots or mind control as in "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" which actually is a very good sci-fi film and stars one of my faves, Gloria Talbot.

WELL! If you're gonna be THAT way about all this, then just FORGET about me mentioning these hardy astronauts lettin' poor ol' Dick Wesson find out about the phenomenon of weightlessness for himself once they're all up there!!! LOL

;)

Gosh, I hate to admit I've seen Dondi!

Lordie be, what a movie.

Dargo, I love Dick Wesson so thanks for bringing him up.

He's one of those poor guys like Dave Willock who is always one of the really foolish background players. Now he looks nothing like Willock, who in my opinion looks like a messed up brother of Frank Sinatra, but they remind me of each other and I think Wesson looks more like the younger brother of George Gobel.

I wish they had cast Wesson in The Queen of Outer Space as he would have been quite the catch for Zsa Zsa after she exposed her radiation-burnt kisser!

Edited by: CaveGirl on Sep 19, 2013 5:45 PM