Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dolby ATMOS...a bit overkill?

hamradio

When watching the end credits in "Star Trek - Into Darkness", I noticed the logo *Dolby ATMOS* instead os the usual Dolby Digital and SDSS.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos.html

I went to the Dolby website and my jaw dropped in disbelief! For heaven sake *64 independent speaker outputs (channels)!* I only have 2 ears, how about a larger screen with movies filmed in *Movies-That-Don't-Stink-O-Rama?*

Imagine the extreme cost of installing such a system just for one cinema. Does anyone think the cost is not going to be passed on to the patrons?

Where is the volume control?

20121130225253.jpg

These days, when you're in the theater, the sound seems as if it's exploding from within yourself. There's so much of it. Now I can see why, with all that equipment. I'm still not used to the immensity which, for me, takes away from the viewing experience. Watching a movie in a theater these days is almost like experiencing it on some ride at a theme park. Eventually the two are going to meet, but where will the experience take place; at what location? Theme park? Theater? Holodeck?

Yes. Overkill.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings